Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Villagers hunt for orang minyak (oily man)

Still Waters

While most people would be in deep slumber at 2am, residents of Kampung Laksamana in Gombak were wide awake, roaming up and down Jalan Laksamana 1 in Gombak, Selangor.

Around 40 residents all divided into groups of about five to 10 people each and fully equipped with spotlights and wooden sticks were on patrol in the village located about 2km from Batu Caves that Thursday morning.Although they were joking with one another, you could feel the tension in the air.

An outsider might think that a gang rumble was on the cards. But what the residents of this village were worried about were not humans, instead they were keeping an eye out for not one, but two, supernatural beings. They are under attack from a couple of orang minyak (oily man), they claim. This village has been buzzing with sightings of the two paranormal creatures for the last 10 days.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Biff Wellington

• xYlvax

• NatureBoff

• Rlyeh

Damn i was any older and had some money, i would definitely go there and try to catch it or him by myself.

This could be a sticky situation!

This could be a sticky situation!

Don't you mean a 'slicky' situation?

I wonder if this guy was swimming around the gulf of Mexico last year...

This kind of ignorance and mass paranoia is how innocent people end up at the end of a rope.

oh wait, sorry guys! Thats not the orang minyak they been seeing over there, thats just my perverted stepbrother! He all oily and greasy cause he never take a bath! I should have never let him loose in that airport! seems he must have stowed away on aflight to Malaysia!

They are mistaking him for gangsters from America. You know what I mean.

Got this horrible vision of a little Asian guy, baby oiled up running the streets in his Y-fronts. It is not pretty!!!

Just imagine the mess he makes.

Ewhh, poor virgins. :unsure2:

That just placed one nasty image in my head. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Edited by Biff Wellington

I know right? :rofl:

I could've been descriptive, but I'm sure it would break some sort of UM censorship rules.

This kind of ignorance and mass paranoia is how innocent people end up at the end of a rope.

Don't forget that there are also social benefits to such beliefs and behaviours:

But in a way this orang minyak episode has been a blessing in disguise for the residents of Kampung Laksamana.

Man observes that the slight "tension" between the supporters of the different political parties has disappeared in the past few days.

"Everybody is helping one another out. Everyone is together as one," he says.

The residents also agree that they are friendlier with their neighbours now.

Paramasivam admits that he never really spoke to his neighbours and got to know them before.

"At the most, I would just acknowledge them. Now I actually talk and get to know them. The neighbourly spirit has been enhanced by these happenings," he says.

Some other interesting points from the article:

"I thought the thing existed only in the movies but it seems to be happening in real life," says the fresh graduate, referring to the 1956 P. Ramlee hit movie Sumpah Orang Minyak. He says that although he hasn't seen the orang minyak for himself, he believes his neighbours. - Life imitating art? Note also the power of the anecdote (particularly when coming from familiar sources) in shaping beliefs/perceptions...

According to popular legend, the orang minyak is a person who has undertaken the study of black magic and as a rite of passage, has to rape a certain number of anak dara (virgins) to pass that course. - Could the practice of Sorcery be responsible for certain cryptid claims?

Zaki Zainudin, 42, agrees that it has been difficult to get any peace of mind these past few days now they are startled by the slightest sound and get suspicious of every little happening.

"Last time a broken plate was just a broken plate. Now, we wonder why it has broken," he says, before checking to see why a dog was howling nearby.

Zaki then takes out his phone to show photographs as proof of the existence of the orang minyak oil stains and footprint of the orang minyak in Kamal's house. He has also taken a picture of a banana tree leaf with an unusual tear. It has been said that the orang minyak is attracted to the banana bud (jantung pisang). - Just like belief in Bigfoot, mundane events becomes suspicious ("Squatchy") and a source of evidence which serves to reinforce the belief (even if it is false).

http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Malaysia/Story/A1Story20120101-319307.html

I'm shocked!

Do virgins still exist?

i thought virgins where just a myth in this day and age p