Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does God Call Any Person To Be A Pastor?

Karlis

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Walker

• Jor-el

• Karlis

• Lion6969

Here is a question that (as far as I recall) has not been asked on UM for quite some time: I wonder how believers and unbelievers of all colours would respond to the points raised in this article?

Thoughts?

Karlis

Are You Called To Be A Pastor?

Source

It was so common sensical it almost read as someone trying to dissuade those who felt only a spiritual call, from becoming a pastor. I think it might require both. Both a spiritual calling, but also evidences that you have the required skills and abilities, at least in potential. I was called to be a teacher from the age of five. I am naturally a terrible teacher being short and quiet, but desire and effort, training and practice, turned me into one whom others recognised as pretty good.

I contrast i have been asked by others to be both a pastor and a funeral director, based on my talents with people, But i have no 'spiritual' calling to either of those jobs.

I WAS called, at the age of five, to be a teacher, and that set my life in place from then on. I worked very hard to attain that goal, with regular 60 hour school weeks and also 40 hour working weeks every holiday, to raise money for going away to university. I won government scholarships to pay for both my high school and university educations.(our family was too poor to pay for it) I love teaching, with a passion which is undimished at age of 60, and only poor health, and that of my wife will stop me from teaching into my 70s.

It was so common sensical it almost read as someone trying to dissuade those who felt only a spiritual call, from becoming a pastor. I think it might require both. Both a spiritual calling, but also evidences that you have the required skills and abilities, at least in potential. I was called to be a teacher from the age of five. I am naturally a terrible teacher being short and quiet, but desire and effort, training and practice, turned me into one whom others recognised as pretty good.

I contrast i have been asked by others to be both a pastor and a funeral director, based on my talents with people, But i have no 'spiritual' calling to either of those jobs.

I WAS called, at the age of five, to be a teacher, and that set my life in place from then on. I worked very hard to attain that goal, with regular 60 hour school weeks and also 40 hour working weeks every holiday, to raise money for going away to university. I won government scholarships to pay for both my high school and university educations.(our family was too poor to pay for it) I love teaching, with a passion which is undimished at age of 60, and only poor health, and that of my wife will stop me from teaching into my 70s.

I'm with you on this one Mr. Walker, although my calling was much later. I grew up in a poor family in Eastern Kentucky and never entertained plans to go to college. There were two teachers I had in high school that basically told me "You are smarter than most, you need to go to college." I had a nice job at a small printing company and was was going to basically take over that job once the owner retired. I didn't put much effort into going on to college, but ended up getting a small scholarship and admission to the biggest state university. I graduated and went on to pursue a master's degree. I heard from a friend that a local community college was looking for someone to teach one class. I applied and got that one class. The next semester it turned into two, then three, then four. But that very first lecture is the one that I remember the most. As the lecture wore down there was a voice inside me that basically said, "this is where you belong." Teaching is the most fun job I can possibly imagine. Every day to stand in front of the class is an absolute thrill. Looking back at my life I see that I have always fallen ass backwards into everything that I do, which leads me to believe that there is someone/something guiding me to be where I am supposed to be. Anyway, you guys probably know more about me and my background now, than you ever wanted to know. Oh well :)

*edit* Crap, I forgot to add that at one point I seriously considered going into the seminary, but never did. Anyway, back to lurking now.

Edited by kystranger

Here is a question that (as far as I recall) has not been asked on UM for quite some time: I wonder how believers and unbelievers of all colours would respond to the points raised in this article?

Thoughts?

Karlis

Are You Called To Be A Pastor?

Source

God calls us to number of different ministries, only one of them is to be a Pastor.

Ephesians 4:11 refers to fives offices in the church: apostles (ἀπόστολος / apostolos), prophets (προφήτης / prophētēs), evangelists (εὐαγγελιστής / euaggelistēs), pastors (ποιμήν / poimēn) and Teachers (διδάσκαλος / didaskalos). We commonly refer to this concept as the fivefold ministry.

Contrary to many beliefs all of these ministries or offices are active today within the church.

And contrary to what many believe, the call is not a silent thing. When God calls, the call is unmistakable.

Can anyone become a pastor? What are the requirements?

No, not anyone. Not all are called to the ministry. The reason it is called "A Calling", is that it doesn't come from within us, even though we might want to serve.

As the article says, It is the only option for the called pastor. If you can find happiness and satisfaction in anything else, you are not called to be a pastor. Pastoral ministry is not an alternative and last resort for someone who has failed in every other area of their life and figures, Hmm, everything else has failed, why not give pastoring a try?

Ther are many examples of people who were leading successful lives in many different professions when they recieved their calling. There are doctors, mechanics, bankers, teachers among many other examples. Some recieved the call when they were young, others when they were old. Some are men, some are women.

Edited by Jor-el

God calls us to number of different ministries, only one of them is to be a Pastor.

Ephesians 4:11 refers to fives offices in the church: apostles (ἀπόστολος / apostolos), prophets (προφήτης / prophētēs), evangelists (εὐαγγελιστής / euaggelistēs), pastors (ποιμήν / poimēn) and Teachers (διδάσκαλος / didaskalos). We commonly refer to this concept as the fivefold ministry.

Contrary to many beliefs all of these ministries or offices are active today within the church.

And contrary to what many believe, the call is not a silent thing. When God calls, the call is unmistakable.

I'm not refuting what you write here, Jor-el.

In my post, I was interested in reading people's responses as to how they arrive at the conclusion that God "calls them". That is why I included the rather >>>detailed article where a lot of questions are addressed regarding this matter. For example (from the article):

How does a person know if they are called to be a pastor?

How does a person know what God is calling them to do?

Is this "call" from inside you or heavenly in origin?

What evidence is there that you are called to be a pastor?

Lots to consider, right?

Karlis

I'm not refuting what you write here, Jor-el.

In my post, I was interested in reading people's responses as to how they arrive at the conclusion that God "calls them". That is why I included the rather >>>detailed article where a lot of questions are addressed regarding this matter. For example (from the article):

In general you don't know to which ministry he calls you, you just know that you are being called. You might say that you fall into it, but I would say, one is driven into it.

They know because as they do the work they are meant to do, doors open up, that they have to walk through. Opportunities that come out of nowhere and work that leads them eventually to what God has destined for them. They don't wake up and say, God has called me to be a Pastor. They wake up and say, God wants me to serve him completely with my life. And as they serve him, opportunities to expand learn and grow come to them. Sometimes you think you are being called to one thing and you end up doing something totally different from your expectations.

Both, it is to be found within us, when we want to serve, but it is confirmed from the outside, by God himself.

Evidence?,

The fruit you bear speaks for itself. If there is no fruit after your work, it isn't real and you fade away. You return to becoming just one of many who serve willingly but without recognition by the church.

Lots to consider, right?

Yes, it is alot to consider, especially if the pain and sacrifice are worth it.

Edited by Jor-el

In general you don't know to which ministry he calls you, you just know that you are being called. You might say that you fall into it, but I would say, one is driven into it.

They know because as they do the work they are meant to do, doors open up, that they have to walk through. Opportunities that come out of nowhere and work that leads them eventually to what God has destined for them. They don't wake up and say, God has called me to be a Pastor. They wake up and say, God wants me to serve him completely with my life. And as they serve him, opportunities to expand learn and grow come to them. Sometimes you think you are being called to one thing and you end up doing something totally different from your expectations.

Both, it is to be found within us, when we want to serve, but it is confirmed from the outside, by God himself.

Evidence?,

The fruit you bear speaks for itself. If there is no fruit after your work, it isn't real and you fade away. You return to becoming just one of many who serve willingly but without recognition by the church.

Lots to consider, right?

Yes, it is alot to consider, especially if the pain and sacrifice are worth it.

Good answers, :tu:

Karlis

Have to agree with much that has already been said and I would add that:

1. You may not be called until a certain point in your life, either sufficiently gained enough life experience or witnessed something specific.

2.You are also only called for a certain amount of time, even the prophets of the OT were called for a specific amount of time. People who are very good at what they do can suddenly lose that call and it may not be very obvious to the person in question.

3. When you are doing what your calling is it comes very natural to you, sometimes surprisingly natural. People will say to you "I never knew you could do that" and you know that you can't under other circumstances.

The best Pastors are those that allow themselves to be guided in what they do and don't have their own motivations; its very easy to tell who they are.

Back in the early eighties there was a massive government-backed crackdown on criminal organizations in South Korea. To avoid the correctional camp (read: torture camp), many gangsters, con men, and thugs escaped to churches and temples. As a result, more than half of Korea's church is related to gang activity. And many pastors have criminal backgrounds and it's not uncommon to hear about pastors committing vicious crimes on news.

I guess this is an enough answer for the OP.

How would you establish if someone has had a valid call. Can't just people turn up and become pastors claiming they had a call?

The judgmental answer would be: Yes. How else to explain the apparent corruption revealed throughout the church(es)?

It appears logical as well, but that's a subjective attempt at objectivity.

"You" wouldn't establish anything about "someone's" call - lest, of course, you admit to being God? (Neither would I ... in case you took that personal ...)

To the first, I propose my usual "Sun Tzu'esque" answer: No better way to destroy thy enemy than from within, under the guise of his own flock. To the second? Who can say but they who hear His call?

Conundrum...

Edited by Sevastiel

The judgmental answer would be: Yes. How else to explain the apparent corruption revealed throughout the church(es)?

It appears logical as well, but that's a subjective attempt at objectivity.

"You" wouldn't establish anything about "someone's" call - lest, of course, you admit to being God? (Neither would I ... in case you took that personal ...)

To the first, I propose my usual "Sun Tzu'esque" answer: No better way to destroy thy enemy than from within, under the guise of his own flock. To the second? Who can say but they who hear His call?

Conundrum...

So basically anyone can claim the call? What measures are in place that the wrong type of people don't get through?

So basically anyone can claim the call? What measures are in place that the wrong type of people don't get through?

Your guess is as good as mine. :unsure2:

My favorite: God will weed them out (assuming God exists - rhetorical statement for others' benefit)

Edited by Sevastiel

Being called as a pastor doesnt mean you will be accepted as one, unless of course you found your own church. In Australia a pastor requires qualificatons just like any other professional. After all, they will be counselling, performing marriages, and funerals, where legal requirements are important.

Ive never had a close association with a church in which pastors are called most churches organise clergy via a centrla authority who pays for them and finds them houses etc. But one of the biggest charismatic churches in australia does use this method. It seems to work well, with a good match of pastors to communities. But the pastors have to BE qualified pastors to be accepted to pastor a church (in my understanding) It is just that the church is organised without a centralised authority where funds and pastors would be organised, and so local churches and pastors match each other via calls. Both the church and the pasotor may be called. And when the calls coincide the pastor is accepted for the church The church local church community pays for the pastor and his expenses. This creates a close working relationship between pastor and church community. They have to be happy with each other and withthe working relationship . In general, whereas older established churches may have a priest for decades, these pastors stay a much shorter time. Where there is conflict it is easier for the church and pastor to separate than in more traditioanl churches where long legal battles are sometimes seen.

Also there is less centralised dogma in such churches, and more importance placed on feelings and personal relationships. This allows adaptations on the part of both pastor and congregation which just would not be accpetable in traditional churches.

Edited by Mr Walker

It all depends on what monkey has the taller podeum.

It all depends on what monkey has the taller podeum.

Size does not matter. Its performance which counts. :devil: