Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Japan Tsunami Fast Swim Unidentified Creature

NatureBoff

Jeremy Wade mentioned kappa this morning on Gabby Live (C5), although he's not a believer in something clever and cryptid. Tuesday's episode (tomorrow) is 'Argentinian River Dog' which was possibly responsible for a young girls's death. Wader puts it down to freshwater barbed rays. Of the three attacks I've heard off from the smooth grey river dogs, it's always been females by the water's edge. I think the female fishing is more likely to take offence from the gaze of a woman rather than a man.

post-94765-0-49047300-1326730395_thumb.j

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NatureBoff

• Englishgent

• grendals_bane

• Mr.United_Nations

Jeremy Wade mentioned kappa this morning on Gabby Live (C5), although he's not a believer in something clever and cryptid. Tuesday's episode (tomorrow) is 'Argentinian River Dog' which was possibly responsible for a young girls's death. Wader puts it down to freshwater barbed rays. Of the three attacks I've heard off from the smooth grey river dogs, it's always been females by the water's edge. I think the female fishing is more likely to take offence from the gaze of a woman rather than a man.

And what does a South American fish have to do with a shadow in Japan? Although, I have a feeling you are trying to link them somehow.

Also, could you provide sources please, like could we have a link about these attacks you have heard of etc, as for all we know you could be making this up as you go along.

Edited by grendals_bane

And what does a South American fish have to do with a shadow in Japan? Although, I have a feeling you are trying to link them somehow.

Also, could you provide sources please, like could we have a link about these attacks you have heard of etc, as for all we know you could be making this up as you go along.

Every know and then, he tries to change the subject.

Maybe it's just because females are tastier than males :devil: (specially with tomato sauce)

Maybe it's just because females are tastier than males :devil: (specially with tomato sauce)

Ha, here's some Japanese kappa sightings I've just found:
SLIMY FOOTPRINTS

At around 11 PM on August 1, 1984 in the town of Tsushima in Nagasaki prefecture, a squid fisherman named Ryu Shirozaki was walking home from the local pier after work. As he passed near the Kuta river, he came upon a small group of children playing at the water's edge. While it was not entirely uncommon to encounter people fishing in the river at night, it was rather surprising to see youngsters there.

As Shirozaki approached the children, he was struck by how bizarre they appeared in the moonlight. He could make out swarthy faces, unusually spindly arms and legs, and glistening skin. Suspicious, Shirozaki called out to them as he neared, but they seemed startled and quickly disappeared into the water.

The next morning when he returned to the same spot, Shirozaki discovered a set of moist, teardrop-shaped footprints on the nearby pavement. The prints, which appeared to consist of a slimy substance that had begun to coagulate under the hot morning sun, stretched for about 20 meters. Each footprint measured 22 centimeters (about 10 in) long and 12 centimeters (5 in) wide, and they were spaced about 50 to 60 centimeters (about 2 ft) apart.

Shirozaki and a few curious onlookers immediately suspected the footprints belonged to a kappa. People began to gather around as the news spread quickly through town, and all agreed the prints belonged to a kappa. In the minds of many residents, the footprints confirmed the existence of the river imps they knew through local legends.

When police forensic investigators arrived on the scene, they determined that the slimy footprints consisted of an unknown secretion. They took a sample to the lab for analysis, but the results unfortunately turned out to be inconclusive because the sample was too small. The police eventually dropped their investigation, and the mystery of the slimy footprints was never solved.

Ha, here's some Japanese kappa sightings I've just found:

Sounds like another History channel documentary. ''Samples of the slimy footprints were taken by poilce for DNA, but tests revealed nothing conclusive'' :) Hmmmm

Stop talking about other crypid thats got nothing to do with water dogs or whatever. Stick to Japan

I wasn't going to post, but nevermind.

So it looks like a smaller wave to you? You do realise this is the Tsunami that devastated Japan not long ago, the Tsunami that killed hundreds, damaged nuclear power plants and caused millions of pounds of damage.

From BBC News

"The tsunami rolled across the Pacific at 800km/h (500mph) - as fast as a jetliner"

It might have looked small but the power behind the wave is immense, now I'm no physicist or mathematician but something traveling in the opposite direction would have to travel at least the same speed as the Tsunami just to stay in the same spot (Please correct me if I'm wrong). So you would be looking at something capable of swimming at over 5 times the speed of the worlds fastest fish the Sailfish.

But as I said before it is a shadow of a helicopter, that is seen over the land first, which I believe I have already proven, by posting the full video. By the way, I'm still waiting for you to post some evidence like I asked in my last post.

Refer to my previous post if you like, yes "The tsunami rolled across the Pacific at 800km/h (500mph) - as fast as a jetliner", but when it hit the coast it wasn't traveling much faster than a normal wave. As I said earlier,water does not need to be traveling fast to result in great destruction.

Refer to my previous post if you like, yes "The tsunami rolled across the Pacific at 800km/h (500mph) - as fast as a jetliner", but when it hit the coast it wasn't traveling much faster than a normal wave. As I said earlier,water does not need to be traveling fast to result in great destruction.

I am not disagreeing about the fact they cause a lot of destruction, I am disagreeing about the shadow in the OP video being a cryptid.

The Tsunami may very well be traveling much slower at that point in the video but the shear volume of water would still hamper anything swimming through it in the opposite direction, as is claimed in the OP.

Sounds like another History channel documentary. ''Samples of the slimy footprints were taken by poilce for DNA, but tests revealed nothing conclusive'' :) Hmmmm

Yeah, how often do we hear that one...

I'm still waiting for the DNA results for the orang pendek, which samples were given to four independent laboratories. Why does it take sooooo long? If they say "but tests revealed nothing conclusive" I just won't believe it!! :)

Edited by tailormaneinafog

The Tsunami may very well be traveling much slower at that point in the video but the shear volume of water would still hamper anything swimming through it in the opposite direction, as is claimed in the OP.

I was just going by the title of the footage. Now that the whole of the events can be seen in full, I would judge that not only is the wave travelling relatively slowly, but that it's also fairly shallow i.e. the cryptid is running through the surf with a bend of it's body, just like a greyhound. This technique is what gives it such enormous speed for short distances at least. It would also explain why there is only water movement clearly seen after the jump of the wave-head.

I thought we established last week that it was a helicopter shadow based on this footage:

In the full video the shadow can be clearly seen above the ground before it moves across the water at around the 2 minute mark.

I thought we established last week that it was a helicopter shadow based on this footage:

In the full video the shadow can be clearly seen above the ground before it moves across the water at around the 2 minute mark.

lol. cryptid fail. another one bites the dust.....

Surely youve read enough of his posts to realize that even obvious evidence to contrary doesnt sway him. Why would hard proof trump his imagination?

No, you've got the wrong perspective on what is the sandy dune ground just before the approaching wave and the sky. The sky isn't actually visible at around the 2 min mark, the NW of the image with a mottled sandy with brown streaks is actually a long beach front. It's easy to get confused, so there's perfect understanding from myself; I had to scrutinise the changing angles with much intensity.

No, you've got the wrong perspective on what is the sandy dune ground just before the approaching wave and the sky. The sky isn't actually visible at around the 2 min mark, the NW of the image with a mottled sandy with brown streaks is actually a long beach front. It's easy to get confused, so there's perfect understanding from myself; I had to scrutinise the changing angles with much intensity.

Not sure where you are getting that. Its pretty obvious that the shadow crosses the ground and then continues on, crossing the water - like a shadow would do. But then again when you are certain that something is a cryptid its probably much easier to see one no matter what you are actually looking at...so in a way I can see where you are coming from.

Ok, do a screenshot of the video, and tell us where does the shadow have the characteristics of a dog.

You are certainly correct on one thing :)

A helicopter can fly over the top of and cast a shadow on the terrain in the video whether it's sand, rocks, water or anything else. A land animal would never maintain the same appearance, speed and direction if it was traversing across those different terrains.

The problem here is that you have an idea in your head as to what you want this to be and you are trying to twist things to support that one idea instead of looking at the evidence that's actually there and determining what best fits what you are looking at.

A helicopter can fly over the top of and cast a shadow on the terrain in the video whether it's sand, rocks, water or anything else. A land animal would never maintain the same appearance, speed and direction if it was traversing across those different terrains.

The problem here is that you have an idea in your head as to what you want this to be and you are trying to twist things to support that one idea instead of looking at the evidence that's actually there and determining what best fits what you are looking at.

I agree, but it's the same argument in assuming that cryptid's *don't* exist so therefore it *must* be a helicopter shadow. The close-up footage in th OP *does* show a greyhound like body in a run through the surf imo. It dives into the water when it's deep enough and then swims under the waves where it vanishes from view. The footage you provided shows that the peninsula of dunes becomes surrounded by the appraoching tsunami waves. The cryptid (imo) is sandwiched between two waves and decides to make a run for the sea to relative safety, perhaps also disturbed by the presence of the helicopter itself.

I agree, but it's the same argument in assuming that cryptid's *don't* exist so therefore it *must* be a helicopter shadow. The close-up footage in th OP *does* show a greyhound like body in a run through the surf imo. It dives into the water when it's deep enough and then swims under the waves where it vanishes from view. The footage you provided shows that the peninsula of dunes becomes surrounded by the appraoching tsunami waves. The cryptid (imo) is sandwiched between two waves and decides to make a run for the sea to relative safety, perhaps also disturbed by the presence of the helicopter itself.

Again you are seeing what you want to see and reaching conclusions that have no basis in fact, nobody has claimed that it's a helicopter shadow "because cryptids don't exist" - where did you get that argument from ? The reason people think it's a helicopter shadow is because it looks exactly like one and it fits all the available evidence.

Your cryptid argument by contrast basically boils down to "I want it to be a dog-man therefore it is because i say so."

I dont think we are ever going to persuade him otherwise :unsure2:

I cant believe how some people get these ideas.

The sky isn't actually visible at around the 2 min mark,

Yes, it is.

the NW of the image with a mottled sandy with brown streaks is actually a long beach front.

You do realise that a beach front is mostly land.

The close-up footage in th OP *does* show a greyhound like body in a run through the surf imo.

The close up isn't of a good enough quality to tell that.

It dives into the water when it's deep enough and then swims under the waves where it vanishes from view.

Again, see above.

The footage you provided shows that the peninsula of dunes becomes surrounded by the appraoching tsunami waves. The cryptid (imo) is sandwiched between two waves and decides to make a run for the sea to relative safety, perhaps also disturbed by the presence of the helicopter itself.

No it doesn't, the Tsunami hits the land fairly level, therefore you must be looking at it from the wrong perspective as you claim everyone else is doing.

To highlight what is what, in the footage, here is a screenshot from the 2:06 mark with a handy coloured guide.

Key (for following picture)

Light Blue = Sky

Yellow = Land with possible shallow water

Dark Blue = Sea

Black Spot = location of the shadow

Screenshotat2012-01-19123156.jpg

Edited by grendals_bane