Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

God as the devil

GoldenWolf

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_as_the_Devil

The teaching of God as the Devil has been an accusation leveled at various Christian heretics from the 2nd century to the medieval period. In the modern period authors, such as Thomas Paine, have made the case that the Biblical god is a divine force that wreaks suffering, death, and destruction and that tempts or commands humanity into committing mayhem and genocide.

I already think that he is/if not more evil then the devil. With all the blood on his hands.

I also think it's better to just start a topic in the hopes of not cluttering up others posts.

Also think that he is very narcissistic

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• james1951

• GoldenWolf

• Spock_the_Future

• Beckys_Mom

I've said it before, but anyone who ascribes attributes to God does so in the ignorance of the fact that God is greater then any box you can think of. So good, evil, a tempter, a redeemer, a hero, a villain, a bully, a monster, a saviour, a creator, a destroyer ... they're all God. There's a song we teach the Prep kids when it's time for them to do a liturgy in the church "my God's a great big God" - that about sums up what I'm trying to say, we can only embrace a few ideas about God all at once, but the 'bigger' the idea the better.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_as_the_Devil

The teaching of God as the Devil has been an accusation leveled at various Christian heretics from the 2nd century to the medieval period. In the modern period authors, such as Thomas Paine, have made the case that the Biblical god is a divine force that wreaks suffering, death, and destruction and that tempts or commands humanity into committing mayhem and genocide.

I already think that he is/if not more evil then the devil. With all the blood on his hands.

I also think it's better to just start a topic in the hopes of not cluttering up others posts.

None of the above. Man wreaks suffering, death, and destruction. Man tempts or commands humanity into committing mayhem and genocide. Sometimes even under the delusion and/or self-righteous justification of serving God and the Warrior Messiah.

I fathom the Biblical nation of Israel was to represent something descriptively approaching if even feasible a intra-religious utopian society rather than a polycultural or secular society. Ultimately God had a larger plan that encompassed the whole human race though.

I believe He exists and that He is a sovereign Creator of all things. I appreciate the fact that He gave me life and has promised to make it eternal if I believe in Him. I have that much faith so I am thankful that I'll be around to see what plans He has for me after this brief interlude we're in...and as to the blood on His hands....He is sovereign and that is enough for me.

Job 2.10 "...shall we accept only good things from God and never anything bad?" or, "is there no evil in the world that the Lord hath not done?"

Amos 3.6 "When disaster comes to a city, isn't it because the Lord planned it?"

Isaiah 45.7 "I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity;I the Lord do all these things."

and in Eccl. 12.14 "For God will bring every work into judgement, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."

If one belives in God of the Bible, they need accept that God just as evil as is merciful.

SINcerely,

:devil:

Edited by Dying Seraph

Hence the expression SOVEREIGN. What I think of His actions is immaterial to Him. He is the Creator. No argument - no matter how clever changes that fact and in the end we find our place in harmony with Him or live in fear,anxiety and isolation from the light.

there is no god.

man and the universe create suffering.

I never understood needing a god. Isn't it just a form of denial?

Ignore all your hardships because in Heaven you'll be rewarded?

Don't do anything for the planet or your own species because in the end it will be made right?

what if you're wrong? what if this life is all we have?

all those people persecuted, alienated and tortured in the only existence they will ever know.

justice and mercy comes from us. It's high time we acknowledged it.

Job 2.10 "...shall we accept only good things from God and never anything bad?" or, "is there no evil in the world that the Lord hath not done?"

Isaiah 45.7 "I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity;I the Lord do all these things."

and in Eccl. 12.14 "For God will bring every work into judgement, including every secret thing, whether good or evil."

If one belives in God of the Bible, they need accept that God just as evil as is merciful.

SINcerely,

Twisting the truth here just a bit here aren't we Satan? It's hard to let you go scot free on this one.

First: G=d ALLOWED Satan to do these bad things to Job (Guess you forgot to read Chapter One)

Second: Concerning same quote from Job - G-d was not speaking, Job was. All of Job's so called friends tried their best to explain the evil that had come upon Job (36 chapters worth of nonsense). In the end (Job 40) G-d speaks to all their folly:

1 The LORD said to Job:

2 “Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him? Let him who accuses God answer him!”

3 Then Job answered the LORD:

4 “I am unworthy—how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth.

5 I spoke once, but I have no answer—twice, but I will say no more.”

6 Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm:

7 “Brace yourself like a man; I will question you,and you shall answer me.

8 “Would you discredit my justice? Would you condemn me to justify yourself?

9 Do you have an arm like God’s, and can your voice thunder like his?

Please read Chapter 38 to the end. It might enlighten you. G-d is not evil, our hearts are. G-d is truth and justice.

I shall say no more in fear that I might lay too much in His lap.

Edited by wvdeerhunter

Twisting the truth here just a bit here aren't we Satan? It's hard to let you go scot free on this one.

First: G=d ALLOWED Satan to do these bad things to Job (Guess you forgot to read Chapter One)

Second: Concerning same quote from Job - G-d was not speaking, Job was. All of Job's so called friends tried their best to explain the evil that had come upon Job (36 chapters worth of nonsense). In the end (Job 40) G-d speaks to all their folly:

1 The LORD said to Job:

2 “Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him? Let him who accuses God answer him!”

Please read Chapter 38 to the end. It might enlighten you. G-d is not evil, our hearts are. G-d is truth and justice.

Maybe you could explain why you spell the word god 'G-d'

You are the second poster I have seen do this, but I cant for the life of me think why.

Thank you (in advance) :)

Maybe you could explain why you spell the word god 'G-d'

You are the second poster I have seen do this, but I cant for the life of me think why.

Thank you (in advance) :)

The short of it:

It's a matter of being too casual with His name.

According to Jewish tradition, the name of God was too holy to be uttered. It (Yaweh, YHVH) was uttered aloud only 10 times, once per year, during Yom Kippur. In respect, they would substitute other names of G-d (e.g. Adoni)in their writings to avoid the repetition.

That's my brief on it. I happen to believe that Christians today take our "freedom" in Christ much too lightly (edit...maybe I should say seriously"?).

Thanks for the question.

Edited by wvdeerhunter

The short of it:

According to Jewish tradition, the name of God was too holy to be uttered. It (Yaweh, YHVH) was uttered aloud only 10 times, once per year, during Yom Kippur. In respect, they would substitute other names of G-d (e.g. Adoni)in their writings to avoid the repetition.

That's my brief on it. I happen to believe that Christians today take our "freedom" in Christ much too lightly (edit...maybe I should say seriously"?).

Thanks for the question.

This made me picture God as a giant Voldemort in the sky

"He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

:w00t:

This made me picture God as a giant Voldemort in the sky

"He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named"

:w00t:

Now THAT was funny :D

Albeit inaccurate I had to laugh out loud!

Hence the expression SOVEREIGN. What I think of His actions is immaterial to Him. He is the Creator. No argument - no matter how clever changes that fact and in the end we find our place in harmony with Him or live in fear,anxiety and isolation from the light.

People like you should not be elected for any kind of public office.

People like you should not be elected for any kind of public office.

You seem to jump from post to post and criticize. Please add to the debate.

(Seems you forgot about your moniker: "Arguments over spirituality is just as productive as argument over which Warhammer character is the strongest.")

Keep it on topic please

Edited by HavocWing

The short of it:

Thanks for the question.

Thank you for the answer :)

You seem to jump from post to post and criticize. Please add to the debate.

(Seems you forgot about your moniker: "Arguments over spirituality is just as productive as argument over which Warhammer character is the strongest.")

'and then' struck me as a person who won't ever question the authority, no matter how evil or oppressing it is.

Taken from http://en.wikipedia....od_as_the_Devil

Good try but your fishing and trolling will not get a rise out of me. A civil discussion is one thing but this....ridiculous and so obvious.

1 The LORD said to Job:

Now I won't let you off scott free. These are taken from the Bible. You do understand that the Jews understood God as having a good and bad side don't you? Aparently not. It is the Christians that made Satan a complete evil entity. Satan in the OT had a job to do. The simple fact remains he was a prosecutor on behalf of God to point out our flaws. As far as me not reading chapter one, again I provided more than one passage which shows the JEWS accepted that Evil came from God (and it shows that if I can point out that many passages regarding evil than I am more aware of the Bible that you think), YOu can't seem top accept historical facts.

Simple fact is that the Jews belived everything, came from God. That included evil.

Second you are acting as if Job was real. He was NOT A REAL PERSON!!!! In fact The Book of Job may be the first play ever written!!!!

Thirdly, there are amazing parralels between the story of Job and the tale of the Canaanite King Keret myth.

As for enlightenment...no offense but your ruise won't work on me. God is everything., Truth, Justice AND EVIL!!!!!! Oh but God who is responsible for creating everything isn't resonsible for anything bad hmm? Blame Satan! LMAO

SINcerely,

Edited by Dying Seraph

to quote the amazing Tom Waits:

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk."

Well, actually I was thinking about posting a similar topic. It's about 'trickster god'. In many cultures,there are myths about deities who are just mischievous.

You know, sometimes I wonder if there are more than a few billion deities in our universe. I am open to the idea of polytheism, which is not neccesarily inferior to monotheism.

Good try but your fishing and trolling will not get a rise out of me. A civil discussion is one thing but this....ridiculous and so obvious.

Sigh... the notion that OT deity being evil was discussed so much back in the days of early churches. You just hate any idea that are slightly different from yours? I guess it's kinda like pot calling a kettle black. But...

Trolling? He doesn't sound like trolling at all?

Well, actually I was thinking about posting a similar topic. It's about 'trickster god'. In many cultures,there are myths about deities who are just mischievous.

You know, sometimes I wonder if there are more than a few billion deities in our universe. I am open to the idea of polytheism, which is not neccesarily inferior to monotheism.

You are exactly right! In many instances this is the case but the most famous would likely be Loki or Satan. In the earliest tales we have of Loki he is a mischievous entity. As time grew so did the tales about Loki and he became more menacing and evil. As with Satan originally the word was in refference to an accusser, slanderer, opponent. As time went on and fanciful tales grew, the word became equated to a menacing entity hell bent on screwing over mankind.

Well there is also monolotry I believe it's called. Someone feel free to correct me but I believe that's the one. WHich is the worship of one God over a plethora of em. Or in other definitions it's worshiping one God but acknowledging others as is the case with the early Jews as the OT shows us.

Edit to add: henotheism, monolotry, etc.

SINcerely,

Edited by Dying Seraph

SINcerely,

I concur