Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Missing Persons/Unsolved Cases

Mentalcase

cool stories. I need to find that old book my dad has it has a few weird missing cases in there.

This is all very depressing and reminded me of the time I was backpacking across Australia, I met many single girls travelling alone and used to give them a lecture on how many rapists and murderers were about. Most of these girls were only aged about 18-26 and had lived relatively good lives from good families but I think they were very naive and saw the world with rose tinted glasses.

Me and a really canny Irish lad I met in one of the hostels had hired a van for a couple of weeks and were heading to a wildlife refuge to see some koalas when we saw a lass thumbing for a lift, we stopped and gave her a lift to the next junction but it astounded me that she just got in a decrepit old van with 2 complete strangers that were both male! Makes me wonder how many people that go missing take lifts from strangers in more remote areas, I mean you can drive for ages before you ever see another car.

I even got a bit scared when I stayed on one farm with an oldish fella, his dog's were mean and he had to keep them chained up, then he showed me the skulls of two of the dogs he'd shot through the head to put them out their misery!

One day one of the dogs had got out and had me trapped in a corner just standing a few feet away barking ferociously. I had my lock knife with me (never went anywhere without it) and was ready to use it if needed. The fella came and got his dog and asked what I was doing with the knife, when I told him, he said if I hurt his dog he'd shoot me.

The next day I left.

So anyway, don't ever get in a car with a stranger, if you get in a car with someone you know make sure they are aware that you have text a family member to say you were getting the lift.

• Like 1

@bulveye

(Sorry, I don't mean to veer from the subject at hand) It astounds me how trusting and naive some people are, too. Just the other day I overheard a lady and her friend in a waiting room (I was at a doctor's appointment at the time) talking about times when their cars had broken down in odd places. One of the ladies recalled a time when she had broken down while driving her young son to school. Apparently, a male stranger (who she described as "nice looking") pulled up and offered to bring her son to school for her and SHE ALLOWED HIM TO! Thankfully, it all turned out well and the man was honest...but it could have ended very differently.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Springfield Three.

The Springfield Three is an unsolved missing person case that began on June 7, 1992, when Sherrill Levitt, Suzie Streeter and Stacy McCall went missing from their home in Springfield, MO. Their whereabouts or their remains have never been discovered. This case is from the town where I was born and lived until I was about 5 so, it kind of sticks with me, even though I haven't lived there since 79'-80'.

Here are some reall good links about the case. The bottom link is a site set up by the family of Suzie Streeter.

http://www.springfieldmo.gov/spd/generalinfo/3missingwomen.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Springfield_Three#Events_leading_up_to_the_disappearance

http://streeterfamilyblogg.blogspot.com/

The Dyatlov Pass incident

Source/Full Story

Anyone interested in the Dyatlov Pass Incident may want to pick up Donnie Eicher's recent book Dead Mountain. Not only is it a compelling narrative, but I think Eicher may well have figured out what happened to these nine young men and women. Well worth the read!

Edited by 2-B
  • Like 1

1. Makes sense, snow crushed tent , dug out by knife, fell In raven on top of each other which caused chest to crush, and died of exposure to -15 degrees.

2. KGB Knows truth.

HAROLD “BUDDY” EUGENE VEST

home_placeholder.jpg

Full Story

I just read about this on a websleuth post and on the net.

He gave an http: that did not work.

The http: I want is the three page Smith letter.

Anyone know where I can read it?

I want to examine the letter to see if it is legit, and who might have written it.

Thanks,STH

Anyone interested in the Dyatlov Pass Incident may want to pick up Donnie Eicher's recent book Dead Mountain. Not only is it a compelling narrative, but I think Eicher may well have figured out what happened to these nine young men and women. Well worth the read!

Actually, this one is not that hard.

I have started to get interested in so called 'mysterious and unexplained' stories lately, and while some of them are actually mysterious and unsolved, they are typically the ones involving missing persons.

But the conspiracy theory type ones like the Dyatlov Pass Incident so far for me, have all turned out to be just that. Conspiracy theories that have easy explanations, and people just can't let go of the conspiracy stories.

What happened here is that they dug out a flat space on a slope to set up their camp and tent. And later on, maybe when they were sleeping, there was an ice/snow slide (not an ordinary avalanche) caused by the void that they dug out in the snow. The injuries, such as the crushed ribs and skull fractures were caused by heavy chunks of ice/snow falling onto the campers when it crashed down on the tent.

The uninjured and not buried members of the party where able to dig out and free their friends and cut their way out of the part of the tent that was not crushed under the snow. But the tent was ruined and most of their supplies buried under 6 feet or more of heavy snow and ice. They had no choice but to abandon the ruined camp and they headed for the only partial shelter available, the tree line. They managed to build a fire, but the extreme cold was just too much without proper shelter. The exact details are of course, unknown, but they all died from either the injuries caused by the tent collapse, or from exposure/hypothermia. Case solved, there is no real mystery here, just an unfortunate tragedy.

Edited by Hyperionxvii
  • Like 1

Actually, this one is not that hard.

I have started to get interested in so called 'mysterious and unexplained' stories lately, and while some of them are actually mysterious and unsolved, they are typically the ones involving missing persons.

But the conspiracy theory type ones like the Dyatlov Pass Incident so far for me, have all turned out to be just that. Conspiracy theories that have easy explanations, and people just can't let go of the conspiracy stories.

What happened here is that they dug out a flat space on a slope to set up their camp and tent. And later on, maybe when they were sleeping, there was an ice/snow slide (not an ordinary avalanche) caused by the void that they dug out in the snow. The injuries, such as the crushed ribs and skull fractures were caused by heavy chunks of ice/snow falling onto the campers when it crashed down on the tent.

The uninjured and not buried members of the party where able to dig out and free their friends and cut their way out of the part of the tent that was not crushed under the snow. But the tent was ruined and most of their supplies buried under 6 feet or more of heavy snow and ice. They had no choice but to abandon the ruined camp and they headed for the only partial shelter available, the tree line. They managed to build a fire, but the extreme cold was just too much without proper shelter. The exact details are of course, unknown, but they all died from either the injuries caused by the tent collapse, or from exposure/hypothermia. Case solved, there is no real mystery here, just an unfortunate tragedy.

Actually, if you read both Eicher's book and the other recent one on this topic by Keith McCloskey you'll find convincing science dispelling the avalanche theory. While McCloskey is willing to venture into the paranormal/conspiracy realm, I urge you to read Eicher, who is instead firmly grounded in hard science. His research is extensive, well-documented, and ultimately collaborative with scientific experts in a narrow field of study which elegantly explains what may well have happened to these young Russian ski-adventurers far more convincingly than any other theory I've read, at any rate. Your mileage may vary, but I don't want to spoil anyone's journey with Eicher toward reaching this conclusion by revealing it here.

• 9 months later...

Documentary: Michael Rockefeller was eaten by cannibals:

The public will finally get to see “The Search for Michael Rockefeller” Feb. 1 when Netflix releases the documentary on one of the most compelling unsolved mysteries of the 20th Century.

The film confirms what The New York Post reported in 1968 — cannibals devoured the son of Gov. Nelson Rockefeller.

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=features

rockefeller%20film.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by Talion
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Augat case is one I've read about for years and it's definitely weird and disturbing.

Anyway, there's this one. I remember the day this one hit the news. Worth the read:

http://missingchildren.wikia.com/wiki/Kamiyah_Mobley

• 3 months later...
On 10/9/2016 at 9:17 PM, Skulduggery said:

Anyway, there's this one. I remember the day this one hit the news. Worth the read:

http://missingchildren.wikia.com/wiki/Kamiyah_Mobley

Update: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/13/kamiyah-mobley-kidnapped-reunited-birth-family?client=ms-android-americamovil-us

Found alive 18 years later.

check the doenetwork.com,

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2012 at 0:31 PM, Mentalcase said:

After reading this post and related link, something about the letter really stood out. Out of curiousity, I would like to know if the postman was ever a suspect? A serial killer who had lived near by has been theorized as having posed as a security guard at the mall, and then took the girls somewhere until he was seen at night with them in his vehicle. I can't really believe that.  Most serial killers don't go through the trouble of faking a letter for their victim. I speculate that this was premeditated. Maybe a slow growing obsession with the young bride over a period of time? Like a maid or butler, was there a person present but not noticed? Maybe a casual remark about where she was going that day to a stranger she saw everyday and thought nothing of? The postmark would have been easily obtained by a postal worker. He would have the next day off. Maybe a few days off? I don't think the letter could have been mailed, processed and delivered in less than 24 hours. The suspect had to have delivered the letter. The formality of Tommy's name suggests it is what the suspect was accustomed to seeing. Who would have access to Rachel's handwriting? Placing the items in the car and coaxing 3 young girls to get in a vehicle without a struggle could easily be done by someone at least one of the girls knew and trusted. If anyone can tell me about the postal carrier for Rachel or that there is solid evidence that he could not have been involved, please let me know. I really believe someone was obsessed with Rachel. Also, in the seventies you could have milk and other products delivered to your home.