Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

30 giant Japanese hornets kill 30,000 bees

Still Waters

Tens of thousands are dead, hundreds more of the dying lie writhing on the battlefield, powerless to protect their children.

These horrifying and yet fascinating scenes are the highlights of a three-hour battle between just 30 giant Japanese hornets and 30,000 European honeybees.

The video, from a National Geographic documentary called Hornets From Hell, shows a full-scale attack on the honeybees' comb in order that the hornets can get at their larvae.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eldorado

• reggie2011

• Junior Chubb

• Ashotep

I hope they stay in Japan, we already have the African Bees.

Frightening stuff. I didn't ever think I would have sympathy for a bee after being stung as a youngster.

Yep, those hornets are the things nightmares are made of. This doesn't shock me in the least: japanese hornets are truly terrifying.

Edit to add: wait, wait... were they introduced to the beehive to make the film or what?

Edited by Funky Poacher

Ninja bees? That's all we need, fgs.

We better get some Pirate Bees in to sort 'em out...

that's awesome and quite barbaric. couldn't they resolve their differences without all the fighting? (kidding) :huh:

I saw this video years ago, I wonder why it has surfaced again.

Slow news day. Daily Snail are famous for recycling articles.

Wow. I didn't think any other species other than humans could do a mass killing like that.

Thats the problem with this planet,something is always killing something else,throughout the range of life here,its a pretty horrendous place really,and humans are top of the range in this activity.

i know the answer to everything lets africanise them!!! man im so full of awsome idea's X)

or we could put super massive heads on them like those ants,AND africanise them and put little ray guns on there back and introduce them like cane toads everywhere ..humans are the smartest thing in the universe after all.. go humans!! i dont know whats more stupid the part were we pretend to care or the part were we just do stupid things in the name of sceince and caring and ruin this delecate little place we call home lightyears away from any habitable planet, i hope we cant get there i really do..

Well, they aren't entirely defenseless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsT-Zshzix4&feature=related

those are the native Japanese honey bees. they know that trick from evolving along side the hornets. honey farmers in japan who use European honey bees only do so because they make more honey then the native honey bees. but when they do they run the risk of losing whole hives to those hornets. the farmers can lose a whole years worth of work if they are dumb enough to not have at least a few hives of the native bees just in case.

those are the native Japanese honey bees. they know that trick from evolving along side the hornets. honey farmers in japan who use European honey bees only do so because they make more honey then the native honey bees. but when they do they run the risk of losing whole hives to those hornets. the farmers can lose a whole years worth of work if they are dumb enough to not have at least a few hives of the native bees just in case.

Apparently they are now in Europe... :blink:

The mass slaughter is possible because the European honeybees did not grow up around the Japanese Hornets and thus have no defence against them.

Vespa velutina - the hornet's Latin name - is believed to have hit Europe in 2004 after hitching a ride to France on some pot plants transported from China.

In Asia, honeybees have learned to encircle an intruder and, by flapping their wings, cause it to overheat and die. But European bees have not had enough time to evolve an effective tactic.

:huh:

Edited by smokeycat