Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The People Who Can Make Us Kill

Bracket

We are all potential murderers. No human being is exempt from this desire, although we are usually capable of controlling it - we tend to say, "I would never do it.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thedutchiedutch

• d e v i c e

• Bracket

• libstaK

Interestingly creepy, especially since there are many people who are susceptible to the influence of others. Just look at any religious zealots blindly following leaders who have them commit horrible acts in the name of (insert deity here).

I've always believed this - the way wars have been fought with millions dead, hundreds of thousands of soldiers, civilians supporting actively actions on all sides, the witch hunts of history, public stonings etc - I never saw the people doing this as separate or different from any of us in the "civilised" world just their circumstances have brought out different survival instincts and tactics/coping mechanisms.

Bigotry, hatred, fear, they all offer opportunities for us to do what we would swear we are not capable of - history is littered with the corpses that are proof of that.

We are all potential murderers. No human being is exempt from this desire, although we are usually capable of controlling it - we tend to say, "I would never do it."

Really ? So we all have a desire to kill other human beings ? I never had that desire as far as i can remember so i hope that i am a normal human being and not a psychopath :lol:

The man isn't clear. Wanting to kill. Or getting spooked into thinking about it. Is not the same as actually doing it.

"Whisperers" are serial killers with a special talent: they kill through other people, awakening in them the archaic and apparently soothing desire to kill. A desire mixed with pleasure, the same we experience when we are kids and torment an ant.

Really ? So we all have a desire to kill other human beings ? I never had that desire as far as i can remember so i hope that i am a normal human being and not a psychopath :lol:

*poke* U mad brah? *pokes harder* MAD?! *digs into chest* MAD?!?!?!

Still have no desire to kill? :P

You have never experienced the impulse to inflict physical harm on another ? I think that would be almost universal, if you constrained yourself, was it out of concern for the consequences of your action to the other person, or yourself ?

You have never experienced the impulse to inflict physical harm on another ? I think that would be almost universal, if you constrained yourself, was it out of concern for the consequences of your action to the other person, or yourself ?

Yes of course i did. And yes, i have inflicted physical harm on another. But i never had the desire to kill another.

*poke* U mad brah? *pokes harder* MAD?! *digs into chest* MAD?!?!?!

Still have no desire to kill? :P

i'll kill you to death :devil: .... omg i think you just 'whispered' me :w00t:

:rolleyes:

Yes of course i did. And yes, i have inflicted physical harm on another. But i never had the desire to kill another.

It can easily lead to death, even if unintended. They don't call it criminal assault for nothing. There is no such thing as a harmless punch-up among the boys with a few beers under the belt. So you see, it is a slippery slope we can all find ourselves on, all the way to murder.

:rolleyes:

It can easily lead to death, even if unintended. They don't call it criminal assault for nothing. There is no such thing as a harmless punch-up among the boys with a few beers under the belt. So you see, it is a slippery slope we can all find ourselves on, all the way to murder.

But that is not the point. I understand that using physical harm can lead into murder. But is using physical harm a desire to commit murder ?

But that is not the point. I understand that using physical harm can lead into murder. But is using physical harm a desire to commit murder ?

Doesn't help the victim. Pre-meditated murderers are more likely to repeat their misdeeds, but I don't think there's any disputing that with a particular constellation of circumstances, we can all be murderers.

When you're in that mood, i think it's more than just about "kicking their ass", it's just a primal urge to cause physical damage and holding back from killing them doesn't even cross your mind until later.

Doesn't help the victim. Pre-meditated murderers are more likely to repeat their misdeeds, but I don't think there's any disputing that with a particular constellation of circumstances, we can all be murderers.

Yes, i understand that but my argument was/is that i have no desire to kill another human being because of sadism or pleasure. The writer of the article posted by the OP however claims that we all do have this desire.

Yes, i understand that but my argument was/is that i have no desire to kill another human being because of sadism or pleasure. The writer of the article posted by the OP however claims that we all do have this desire.

You have zero impulse to physical cruelty ? How about giving that kid at school a Chinese burn ? :P

You have zero impulse to physical cruelty ? How about giving that kid at school a Chinese burn ? :P

:devil:

When you're in that mood, i think it's more than just about "kicking their ass", it's just a primal urge to cause physical damage and holding back from killing them doesn't even cross your mind until later.

Well. I have been into fights but it never crossed my mind to actual even think that i was going to kill a person. And there are techniques to temporarily disable a person without killing them. Like i said to habitat, my point is that the writer of the article actually claims that we all have a desire to kill another human being because of sadism or pleasure. I simply don't believe that.

I was going to write a reasoned response to how this article is utter crap in so many ways, but then I read the last line in which the author tried to sell his novel about 'whisperers' and realised it probably wasn't worth it.

The only people who would believe this line that everyone's a serial killer at heart are probably those with latent homicidal tendencies anyway... reading this book will only confirm their feelings... is it me, or does this make the author a 'whisperer' themselves..?

I was going to write a reasoned response to how this article is utter crap in so many ways, but then I read the last line in which the author tried to sell his novel about 'whisperers' and realised it probably wasn't worth it.

The only people who would believe this line that everyone's a serial killer at heart are probably those with latent homicidal tendencies anyway... reading this book will only confirm their feelings... is it me, or does this make the author a 'whisperer' themselves..?

:tu:

What about the likes of Adolph Hitler and the Nazis? He and his cronies basically 'whispered' to an entire nation to commit murder. And too many did. Theres obviously many factors which need to align before someone kills another but it's clear to me that people can kill because someone 'whispered' in their ear.

What about the likes of Adolph Hitler and the Nazis? He and his cronies basically 'whispered' to an entire nation to commit murder. And too many did. Theres obviously many factors which need to align before someone kills another but it's clear to me that people can kill because someone 'whispered' in their ear.

Hitler used fear, corruption and propagenda and he had a whole army to back up his foolish plans/believes. He was a dictator not a whisperer as described in the OP's article.

I feel guilty killing bugs. I worry one day I might be reincarnated as one. Even though I don't believe in reincarnation. :wacko:

I find the comments much more interesting than the article! LOL Sorry to say that!

Habitat trying to irritate thedutchiedutch to be mad enough to want to inflict harm on him. You guys are such geniuses at bringing about a demonstration of what you are saying. Like my wife often says, "How can I compete with that?" I feel out of place among the clever.

There are some places where I might can help. (Naturally I had to go back and read the article. It is--or should be--the commentator's duty.)

In my opinion the very first paragraph is in fact factually wrong. If you enjoy the study of birds of pray it is not long at all in that activity that you discover that there are the majority of them who only kill for their food. And typically they kill only as much as they need to. Then there are the uncommon among them, like the Copper's Hawk in the U.S. He kills as often as he possibly can! He is a killing machine. Kill it and leave it for food to others.

Interestingly creepy, especially since there are many people who are susceptible to the influence of others. Just look at any religious zealots blindly following leaders who have them commit horrible acts in the name of (insert deity here).

Sing to the tune of What's Love Got to do With It?:

What's religious-fervor, delighting-deity, and illustrious-idols got to do with it? [Hum, doesn't follow the rhythm very well.]

As Hitler did it for the betterment of man on the basis of evolution, Marx did it for the opportunity to prove and further develop his philosophical system, and Stalin did it because of hate of "religious-fervor, delighting-deity, and illustrious-idols".

I've always believed this - the way wars have been fought with millions dead, hundreds of thousands of soldiers, civilians supporting actively actions on all sides, the witch hunts of history, public stonings etc - I never saw the people doing this as separate or different from any of us in the "civilised" world just their circumstances have brought out different survival instincts and tactics/coping mechanisms.

Bigotry, hatred, fear, they all offer opportunities for us to do what we would swear we are not capable of - history is littered with the corpses that are proof of that.

Like my U.S. History prof kept repeating until it sank in, "People obey the laws they agree with."

I liked the devil face response! LOL

My one and only fist fight was a guy trying to take out his bad morning on me. It was Midget Athletics (year 8) and we were both team managers. I had no intent on doing harm. Only wanted to survive it. I didn't even want to embarrass the guy. I did as the dutchiedutch did demonstrate by disabling the dude discombobulating his shoulder blades from my Johnny jump up that brough my arms down on him caving him in. Then I merely pinned him until right before the coach came in, and quickly got up. No intent to do harm at all.

I wish I could say no intent throughout my life, however that would be lying.

Well. I have been into fights but it never crossed my mind to actual even think that i was going to kill a person. And there are techniques to temporarily disable a person without killing them. Like i said to habitat, my point is that the writer of the article actually claims that we all have a desire to kill another human being because of sadism or pleasure. I simply don't believe that.

As has been said, "To kill is one thing. To murder is yet another." Murder includes intent. Kill does not. IMHO!

Perhaps different people are different?

I feel guilty killing bugs. I worry one day I might be reincarnated as one. Even though I don't believe in reincarnation. :wacko:

After my NDE I would remove bugs and animals from my home rather than kill them--except wasps--'cause my appreciation of life was one of those, I think five extreme things a person might come back with. I had three of them.

Then I moved to Darwin, Australia, where it is either survival of the bugs or your survival. I chose to save my family instead. Wasn't that nice...

:cry:

Red square and Stalin tomb way back on the right along the Kremlim wall:

Edited by encouraged

All except for the shameless " My novel, The Whisperer (Mulholland Books, $25.99)", this was an interesting read.