Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

7 Princes of Hell

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

Hello everybody, ok so basically heres the deal. Recently ive started writing a novel based around demons and hell and naturally Satan,Lucifer whatever. As I was both 'googling' and on 'wikipedia' I came across at first the 4 crown princes of hell, they were listed as follows:

-Satan

-Lucifer

-Leviathan

-Belial

Source: [found while googling]

Then I decided to go on Wikipedia to see if I could find out a little more info and came across the '7 crown princes of hell'

-Lucifer

-Mammom

-Asmodeus

-Satan

-Beelzebub

-Leviathan

-Belphegor

Source: [Wikipedia]

Basically im just trying to get a little info and im more curious then anything, so please productive comments would be appreciated. Hate BS comments will not be tolerated.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Dreamer - Hybrid89

• Rlyeh

• libstaK

• Damrod

Why stick with the Christianised/Hellenised version of Hell?

How about looking into the underworld mythologies of other cultures, such as the Germanic/Scandinavian mythos (Niflheim ruled by Hel), the Japanese underworld of Yomi, or the Mayan Xibalba?

It might mean a lot more research, but may also set your book apart.

I wouldn't use the word lucifer as it just means morning star, the idea it is connected to Satan or Hell is based on a misinterpretation of Isaiah 14 (which is really speaking about a Babylonian King). But thats just me.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=isaiah%2014:3-14:20&version=NIV

Edited by Rlyeh

Well, I would suggest not using Wiki as your source for your book. If you are into using biblical demons, perhaps you should hit up the bible for names. Maybe the book of Enoch too.

Or I like Leo's suggestion- don't use the bible at all, and try some other sources for demons.

Why stick with the Christianised/Hellenised version of Hell?

How about looking into the underworld mythologies of other cultures, such as the Germanic/Scandinavian mythos (Niflheim ruled by Hel), the Japanese underworld of Yomi, or the Mayan Xibalba?

It might mean a lot more research, but may also set your book apart.

You see this is the reason I put this up, for a different perspective. I had defo thought of the Greek part and a small bit of scandanavian mythology but never japanese or mayan. This why i need some good comments like these. I will indeed look into these. Ofc I agree, hard work always pays off in the end, wouldntyou agree. ;)

I wouldn't use the word lucifer as it just means morning star, the idea it is connected to Satan or Hell is based on a misinterpretation of Isaiah 14 (which is really speaking about a Babylonian King). But thats just me.

http://www.biblegate...:20&version=NIV

Indeed I actually read about this on wikipedia, the whole morning star and I heard of the Babylonian king too.etc etc.

although this site says adopt a demon it does give you the A-Z of names and what they are xx

http://usersites.hor...demonnames.html

Thank you very much, il give it a look.

Well, I would suggest not using Wiki as your source for your book. If you are into using biblical demons, perhaps you should hit up the bible for names. Maybe the book of Enoch too.

Or I like Leo's suggestion- don't use the bible at all, and try some other sources for demons.

Indeed, i dont use wiki as my source but rather a quick reference, I would then go about getting a reliable source and double/triple checking everything.

Well its definetly a good idea to look at other demons from different cultures and no just christianity based ones. I mean the book I wrote is finished its first edit and im currently under going a 2nd edit now and changing things around.

Thanks for the input peeps, appreciated :tu:

I'm sure I'll get laughed at for this, but I think you're messing with forces that you cannot possibly comprehend.

And regardless of whether or not you believe......if you open yourself like you're doing you WILL be preyed on.

I'm sure I'll get laughed at for this, but I think you're messing with forces that you cannot possibly comprehend.

And regardless of whether or not you believe......if you open yourself like you're doing you WILL be preyed on.

So everyone who writes fiction that involves demons, will be preyed on?

So everyone who writes fiction that involves demons, will be preyed on?

Isn't that the corrolary of "the secret" or the, "laws of attraction"

I am probably as skeptical as you on this, but there is a sort of psychological common sense to it.

Its not the writing of fiction. It is the direction and interest the mind pursues. The more one knows about something the more one becomes immersed in it. Given human psychology, for some people there are real dangers in the pursuit of this, or any deep human archetype.

Indeed, i dont use wiki as my source but rather a quick reference, I would then go about getting a reliable source and double/triple checking everything.

I actually don't see the problem with using Wikipedia as a reference tool to write a work of fiction - just saying :w00t:

Seriously though, an "authoratative" source on demonology is going to be like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack - think about it for a second?

What you need is a source that is consistent and fully fleshed, you are going to be providing a "perspective" or particular "take" on the subject no matter how you cut it - I am sure you could get a rowdy argument about "Lucifer" going in a room full of Ph'ds in Theology at the drop of a hat for instance. If you try to be "accurate" and correct by too great a degree, you may be killing the creative process doing so.

If I am not mistaken, the idea of these "7 princes" began with 6th century Pope Gregory's declaration of the "7 deadly sins". To make the 7 sins more profound and comprehensible to the common, uneducated peasant, he attached a personality to each one of them...thus each "prince" represents a particular human failing...

For your review and consideration...

http://www.lizaphoenix.com/demons/sin.shtml

Dude im not going to laugh at you. Im a firm believer in science cannot solve everything. As for me being preyed on, dont worry about that, il be fine.

I actually don't see the problem with using Wikipedia as a reference tool to write a work of fiction - just saying :w00t:

Seriously though, an "authoratative" source on demonology is going to be like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack - think about it for a second?

What you need is a source that is consistent and fully fleshed, you are going to be providing a "perspective" or particular "take" on the subject no matter how you cut it - I am sure you could get a rowdy argument about "Lucifer" going in a room full of Ph'ds in Theology at the drop of a hat for instance. If you try to be "accurate" and correct by too great a degree, you may be killing the creative process doing so

I know what you mean, im looking for more insight thats all as for the creative side of it il keep it well under control. :rofl:

If I am not mistaken, the idea of these "7 princes" began with 6th century Pope Gregory's declaration of the "7 deadly sins". To make the 7 sins more profound and comprehensible to the common, uneducated peasant, he attached a personality to each one of them...thus each "prince" represents a particular human failing...

For your review and consideration...

http://www.lizaphoen...emons/sin.shtml

thank you for that.