Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scratches appearing on body, with pics

Unsatisfied

For as long as i can remember, i have had these scratches appear over my body at random. They usually appear in sets of 2-3, and i usually have periods or 'attacks' where they appear more frequently and in greater number. One time, when i was sitting watching tv, i felt a stinging sensation on my arm - i looked down and a scratch had appeared, and it actually began bleeding. I usually notice the scratches in the shower, where they begin stinging from the water and i look down to notice them.

They appear all over my body - my neck, my chest, my back, my arms and my legs. For a long time, i dismissed them as simply being cat scratches - however my cat has been dead for over a year now yet the scratches continue occurring.

I am aware there are several other topics about this same phenomenon, however i'd like to share some pics that i have taken of them, in the hope that somebody will recognise some sort of condition where this can occur. An important thing to note is that i have tried replicating them with my fingernails many times, however the resulting marks are not even close to being similar.

Set of two scratches:

yMwTD.jpg

Closeup of a single scratch. Notice how the line is broken into several parts, like it stops and then starts - this is a common feature in most of my scratches

o3bdy.jpg

Another of the stop-starting kind, with a smaller one next to it.

sQzgu.jpg

The one which appeared on my wrist and began bleeding:

ulxnG.jpg

Cheers for any help with this, i have googled extensively and found 0 answers - just other people sharing similar experiences

Edited by Unsatisfied

I think you should see a physician and then a psychologist. Probably MUCH more helpful than just google.

People on this forum are either going to tell you to stop scratching yourself, or will nurture the idea that this is something supernatural.

Edited by Neognosis
  • Like 4

I think you should see a physician and then a psychologist. Probably MUCH more helpful than just google.

People on this forum are either going to tell you to stop scratching yourself, or will nurture the idea that this is something supernatural.

I hear about this all of the time, you wouldn't believe how many people experiance exactly what you wrote about. I agree with Neognosis, have you seen a doctor about it first? Many things like Bartonella and Scabies can be dormant in your body for years and often show up in the form of scratches.

I first thought Morgellons but it doesn't look like the pix I've seen of that disorder.

UH...GO TO A DOCTOR. Good luck :yes:

• Like 1

you may have a form of Urticaria

i do.

all my life a simple scratching of a pencil eraser, not even hard enough to leave a mark, will within 5 min welt up, you can rub your name on my body and in five min, there it is!

it has gotten less as i age.

once it was so bad, i was pointing to the cieling at something and a slice appeared on my arm.. scared me and others. that has only happened a few times, none since i turned 40

doctor said most likely i had probably rubbed my arm on something deep enough to make my skin react in such a delayed fashion, rare.. but it happens.

see your doctor. also keep in mind, seeing pictures do not do much good to us because we have no idea you are even telling the truth. you could have scratched yourslf made photos and posted them with a story.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have suffered from the exact same thing for a year and a half. It is extremely perplexing and troublesome. I have often worried about an autoimmune disease, but have not found anything yet. A dermatologist I saw said it was "the strangest thing I have ever seen". If anyone else suffers from this, please email me at hartmann_84@hotmail.com. I would like to hear your background and history of other symptoms and see if they have anything in common with mine. Thanks

• Like 1

100% Real, it's not like you could do that with some makeup and fake blood.

:sleepy:

• Like 1

Do you have a cat by chance ?

Im always the first to give the benefit of the supernatural doubt,but the wrist cut totally blew all credibility out of the water for me.Sorry.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I cannot believe the comments on this thread! I have persoanlly battled this over the past three years and it has absolutely been devastating to say the least! For anyone to suggest people suffering with this needs to seek a shrink or psychologist is ignorant! I am a with it, intelligent, SANE, driven, inspired woman! I have never battled with depression or any other type of mental illness! This is REAL! Three years ago, I could have been on the cover of any magazine and now, I constantly look sickly and never feel my best! I have spent the past twenty years as a Corporate Executive and entrepreneur and even my career has suffered!

Recently I went to Las Vegas for a conference and noticed my shoulder bruised and in pain. Within a day or so, I could visibly see the exact same type of scratch appearing on the surface of my skin. Even more distressing, my beautiful vibrant teenage daughter has also shown signs of having this. Again, this is a REAL medical condition, of which has absolutely nothing to do with one's mental stability. Well that unless you take into account the mental anguish one might endure when battling this nightmare! Don't listen to these fools! Keep searching for answers in hopes we will all find the cause and regain our lives back!

Edited by tryingtokeepfaith
  • Like 4

What do YOU think might be happening? Do you have ANY suspicions yourself? You and others post and state their experience and ask for help or info, but when you get some you don't like (and as I state below, which could be stated much more gently), you condemn posters for their lack of vision and understanding. So put forth your OWN thoughts and get some dialog going, as it is YOU experiencing it, and would seem to be the most qualified to make some educated guesses from your perspective about the reality of the situation.

While your reaction to some of the comments is understandable, and some definitely could have been phrased better and more kindly, there is an aspect I think you're not quite understanding when people advise seeking professional help of one or multiple kinds.

Take yourself, or the Original Poster, out of the equation for now and look at this issue from the other perspective, of regular everyday workaday or professional people, and think how someone who does not routinely or has not once had something they've encountered or experienced that truly confounded them or didn't seem just outlandish, or couldn't be explained away. It's called "the paranormal" because it is outside of what is normally experienced by most people.

The fact that it is not overall common for people to have significant recurring and sometimes bleeding scratches, leads people to the not unreasonable suspicion *something* out of the ordinary is going on alright, but is it more likely from an outsider's perspective, that something so strange that is reported is the result of some abstract mysterious cause, than it is likely something having to do with a physical or mental medical "phenomenon"? A lot of the problem is that "mental help" is a horribly maligned term and seen as shameful and an insult. That is the fault of the way some in society hold on to closed and paranoid mindsets and treasure their ignorance and fearmongering. Many people will not acknowledge a "sickness" or illness or disability of another if there isn't a visible sign, such as a missing leg or tumor on their face. But that's a tangent.

But my point is, there ARE legitimate mental and emotional issues that "regular" people deal with, and struggle with, sometimes daily and sometimes lifelong, that doesn't mean those people are "crazy" or worthless or wholesale permanently or irreperably or dyfunctionally damaged or "unclean". It means they have a very real medical condition and are equivalent to people with physical ailments, some of which can be devastating and painful and embarassing. It is among this view of "afflictions" that things like these mysterious scratches *may* fall, and it should NOT be discounted and it should not be seen as it being *DISMISSED* - that is not the case at all. I will tell you I have seen dozens of posts on here and other places, and whole Experience Project Groups online, about mysterious scratches, and it is only when people DO submit themselves to medical and scientific scrutiny, that these kinds of problems can be acknolwedged, understood and addressed and research and treatment can happen which can possibly HELP people, even if its only understanding such conditions better, to add an option of diagnosis for future sufferers IF it turns out to be an eventually recognized condition.

Again, remember, a mental issue or ailment does NOT always, or even most of the time, mean a mental INSTABILITY. It just means the condition seems to be tied TO the functions OF the brain or thought or behavior. That makes no judgment or condemnation of the afflicted person's sanity or personality itself. It is a judgment on what non-physical thing could be wrong with someone's natural functioning that causes odd, unexplainable and not-understood conditions that may be the psychological equivalent of diabetes or high blood pressure. If something is happening to a person that has no apparent identifiable physical cause, what is the next spectrum to examine? It HAS to be the mind, in practical Western medicine and science. If THAT turns out also a dead-end, then there's REALLY something that needs looked into for a possibly paradigm-shifting revelation.

• Like 4

I think its reasonable to believe that the OP posted, then boosted his own situation with an unimaginative new identity.

I only came here for the 50/50 chance of pics of a lady.

• Like 4

I cannot believe the comments on this thread! I have persoanlly battled this over the past three years and it has absolutely been devastating to say the least! For anyone to suggest people suffering with this needs to seek a shrink or psychologist is ignorant! I am a with it, intelligent, SANE, driven, inspired woman! I have never battled with depression or any other type of mental illness! This is REAL! Three years ago, I could have been on the cover of any magazine and now, I constantly look sickly and never feel my best! I have spent the past twenty years as a Corporate Executive and entrepreneur and even my career has suffered!

Recently I went to Las Vegas for a conference and noticed my shoulder bruised and in pain. Within a day or so, I could visibly see the exact same type of scratch appearing on the surface of my skin. Even more distressing, my beautiful vibrant teenage daughter has also shown signs of having this. Again, this is a REAL medical condition, of which has absolutely nothing to do with one's mental stability. Well that unless you take into account the mental anguish one might endure when battling this nightmare! Don't listen to these fools! Keep searching for answers in hopes we will all find the cause and regain our lives back!

if you had read my post you would see that I actually attributed a medical condition to it. GO TO A DOCTOR!! Otherwise pictures mean nothing online and saying it is anything but a physical or mental ailment in my opinion, is pure hocum.

• Like 1

Just to point out - The OP of this topic hasn't been active on this site since Jan 18 2012.

• 3 months later...

Infrared Video camera, motion detection software.

Seriously, such technology is very cheap - using a cheap IR camera, a laptop and free software like Yawcam, you could easily record the situation - anyone who was genuinely "a with it, intelligent, SANE, driven, inspired" person would, instead of whining about responses on a web forum, do something about it. Unless they are a seagull..

• 8 months later...

I get unexplained scratches all the time took a picture of one that I got out of no were today at first it was just very itchy but nothing there then after a while had a long 5-6 inches at least scratch on my chest and what looks like a red rash around it pinkish almost actually. I always get weird bruises as well on my leg there dark purple n I didn't bump my leg or anything. Last time it happen was some weeks ago n my mom pointed it out to me I didn't even notice it till she asked was it a bruise it ain't hurt tho and I always get the scratches on my left chest and bruises on my left leg I got one on my right arm bout 2 months ago but mostly always notice them on the left. Also I noticed once a scratch on my chest on the same side n the shape as a y and a x right next to it what could that mean??? Plz help and I took a pic of the one that formed today if any one wants to see pix email me to see if we have a similar one and if u can tell me what's going on my emails. *Snip* also send me pics of yours as well if you would like I really wanna know if it's paranormal or not sometimes my kids even wake up bleeding but don't know a reason how or why 1 day my son was n his bed n I got him out he wasn't cryin or nothing but I looked down on my shirt and could tell he was bleeding cuz it was all on me had to find out from were it was his toe he had a big gash of skin gone out of his toe and it was gushing out blood omg I still don't know what really happen and my now 4 month old daughter always wakes with some kind of deep cuts or scratches on her face n legs but how she barley has nails can't do it to her self and she don't crawl so I'm confused.... Help plz thank u

Edited by kmt_sesh

All I can offer is the same advice as above and a plea: start by talking to a doctor. The plea is simple: stick around, ejoy the forum, and talk to us. There are several threads about this very topic on here, with many of the people posting exactly once (so, you're already ahead of them) and never returning. Talk to a doctor, talk to a pediatrician. Rule out the medical (and potentially harmful) before looking to the supernatural. Hope to see you around, and let us know how it turns out.

• Like 1

Thanks I just May do that after posting this I found scratches and stuff on my son rib cage and arms and he had on a thick black polo shirt all day so no way he could have did it himself I noticed it while changing his diaper smh n he had two scratches on his arm and one close to under his rib.....My scratch is on my chest looks as if someone cut threw me then sewed the scratch up its weird burns to the touch...

Thanks I just May do that after posting this I found scratches and stuff on my son rib cage and arms and he had on a thick black polo shirt all day so no way he could have did it himself I noticed it while changing his diaper smh n he had two scratches on his arm and one close to under his rib.....My scratch is on my chest looks as if someone cut threw me then sewed the scratch up its weird burns to the touch...

Oh, I can't wait to see the pictures.... School holidays, eh....

• Like 1

So to going to spend a lot of time here, however as an update to my previous post back in Dec. 2014. I didn't just fall off the face of the earth. Nonetheless, I had a priest come to the house after dealing with this for 3 weeks. He blessed it and I blessed the entire house with the holy water he left me. It never happened again after that. I can understand doubts in peoples minds. People can and do scratch themselves in their sleep. Unfortunately there would be no way for my husband to reach where those scratches were let alone are his nails that thin. Also my alarm system which had been disconnected a year prior was going off every night around 3:00 a.m. not to mention a very powerful dream I had about Jesus around 3:00 a.m.. Call it what you want. I believe evil spirits are hard at work and there was a lot of stress in my house during these episodes, a lot of fighting and anger between me and my husband which never happens, so whatever the case. I suggest to the woman who feels these are targeting her children. Call a Priest.

• Like 1