Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Costa Concordia Disaster

psyche101

Italian luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia ran aground near a Tuscan island and keeled over on Friday, leaving at least 11 people dead and about two dozen still missing four days later.

Italian luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia ran aground near a Tuscan island and keeled over on Friday, leaving at least 11 people dead and about two dozen still missing four days later.

arrow3.gifRead more...

The news link gives a timeline of the disaster. I was surprised this had not made UM as yet.

The Captain abandoned ship before the crew and passengers, leaving women and children behind. He was ordered back aboard. - LINK 'What do you want to do, go home? Get back on board' Chivalry never existed in the bloke.

Schettino: Commander, I want to go on board, but it is simply that the other boat here … there are other rescuers. It has stopped and is waiting ...

De Falco: It has been an hour that you have been telling me the same thing. Now, go on board. Go on board! And then tell me immediately how many people there are there.

Schettino: OK, commander.

De Falco: Go, immediately!

958338-abandon-ship.jpg

Deplorable behavior to leave women and children to sink with the ship, the disaster has been likened to the Titanic. Surely this captain will have a list of charges so long he will never see the outside of a prison again. And who would foot that insurance bill? It looks as though salvage is not an option.

958317-ripped-hull.jpg

So far 11 dead, 24 missing. What a nightmare. Now there is a threat that fuel will leak out, and kill local sea life. I think we will be hearing about this for a while yet.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cassea

• Beckys_Mom

• psyche101

• Robbie333

Two major incidents in recent years revealed cowardly captains who fled the ship before passengers were helped off. Remember the one where the entertainment crew, headed by the Cruise Director, assisted passengers while the captain watched from the safety of a rescue boat? He had to conduct rescue operations there, so he said. Do modern captains only want the glitz and glamour, but none of the responsibility?

Two major incidents in recent years revealed cowardly captains who fled the ship before passengers were helped off. Remember the one where the entertainment crew, headed by the Cruise Director, assisted passengers while the captain watched from the safety of a rescue boat? He had to conduct rescue operations there, so he said. Do modern captains only want the glitz and glamour, but none of the responsibility?

I had not heard of that one, I must look it up.

It sure seems a long way fro the courageous captain going down with his ship. The Coast Guard was not taking his reluctance lightly though.

Latest on the BBC World News today. The captain now says he accidentally fell into the lifeboat as it was being lowered into the sea! :unsure2:

If they ran aground, they could have survived. I heard yesterday that they had not yet taught the passengers what to do in an emergency. I imagine they felt that such a disaster could never happen.

Latest on the BBC World News today. The captain now says he accidentally fell into the lifeboat as it was being lowered into the sea! :unsure2:

Yeah, that happens to me all the time!

The news link gives a timeline of the disaster. I was surprised this had not made UM as yet.

The Captain abandoned ship before the crew and passengers, leaving women and children behind. He was ordered back aboard. - LINK 'What do you want to do, go home? Get back on board' Chivalry never existed in the bloke.

I am glad you posted this.. I was going to post it myself, but searched to see if anyone had yet...

When I read this on the front of The Mirror yesterday.. I was shocked... The recording were released as ...

Here is the transcript of Schettino's conversation with Captain De Falco.

De Falco: "This is De Falco speaking from Livorno. Am I speaking with the commander?"

Schettino: "Yes. Good evening, Cmdr. De Falco."

De Falco: "Please tell me your name."

Schettino: "I'm Cmdr. Schettino, commander."

De Falco: "Schettino? Listen Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now you go with your boat under the prow on the starboard side. There is a pilot ladder. You will climb that ladder and go on board. You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear? I'm recording this conversation, Cmdr. Schettino..."

Schettino: "Commander, let me tell you one thing..."

De Falco: "Speak up! Put your hand in front of the microphone and speak more loudly, is that clear?"

Schettino: "In this moment, the boat is tipping..."

De Falco: "I understand that, listen, there are people that are coming down the pilot ladder of the prow. You go up that pilot ladder, get on that ship and tell me how many people are still on board.... And what they need. Is that clear? ...You need to tell me if there are children, women or people in need of assistance..... And tell me the exact number of each of these categories. Is that clear?

Listen Schettino, that you saved yourself from the sea, but I am going to... I'm going to make sure you get in trouble. ...I am going to make you pay for this. Go on board, (expletive)!"

Schettino: "Commander, please..."

De Falco: "No, please. You now get up and go on board. They are telling me that on board there are still..."

The rest of this recording can be read in here http://www.mirror.co...15875-23706966/

This captain is going away for a long time.. He is lucky they no long hang you for what he did..

A captain of any ship is not meant to get off before others.. if the worst should happen, the captain of the ship must go down with his ship... That is their rule and ethic code to stand by...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I am glad you posted this.. I was going to post it myself, but searched to see if anyone had yet...

When I read this on the front of The Mirror yesterday.. I was shocked... The recording were released as ...

Here is the transcript of Schettino's conversation with Captain De Falco.

De Falco: "This is De Falco speaking from Livorno. Am I speaking with the commander?"

Schettino: "Yes. Good evening, Cmdr. De Falco."

De Falco: "Please tell me your name."

Schettino: "I'm Cmdr. Schettino, commander."

De Falco: "Schettino? Listen Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now you go with your boat under the prow on the starboard side. There is a pilot ladder. You will climb that ladder and go on board. You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear? I'm recording this conversation, Cmdr. Schettino..."

Schettino: "Commander, let me tell you one thing..."

De Falco: "Speak up! Put your hand in front of the microphone and speak more loudly, is that clear?"

Schettino: "In this moment, the boat is tipping..."

De Falco: "I understand that, listen, there are people that are coming down the pilot ladder of the prow. You go up that pilot ladder, get on that ship and tell me how many people are still on board.... And what they need. Is that clear? ...You need to tell me if there are children, women or people in need of assistance..... And tell me the exact number of each of these categories. Is that clear?

Listen Schettino, that you saved yourself from the sea, but I am going to... I'm going to make sure you get in trouble. ...I am going to make you pay for this. Go on board, (expletive)!"

Schettino: "Commander, please..."

De Falco: "No, please. You now get up and go on board. They are telling me that on board there are still..."

The rest of this recording can be read in here http://www.mirror.co...15875-23706966/

This captain is going away for a long time.. He is lucky they no long hang you for what he did..

A captain of any ship is not meant to get off before others.. if the worst should happen, the captain of the ship must go down with his ship... That is their rule and ethic code to stand by...

I agree. This spineless man knew women and children were on board and left? Any real man, or human being would have stayed to help. Captain or not. This man is a cheesy low life whom needs to face his charges. One thing for sure. This will, or should, change the whole ballgame, so to speak. I have only been on two cruises--civilian-- and they are nothing but a rip off at sea. Lots of food and drink I will say but dirty condions on one turned me off. I had an Indonisian boy attempt to sell me drugs on board. " Hey man, need pills, pot, girls? I reported him and never ever heard another word. Cheesy these cruises are. Maybe not all but most are all about $$$

the comprisons to the Titanic are... well, nothing at all, really. 1,514 went down with the Titanic. Even though she went down relatively slowly, on an even keel. But at least Captain Smith's behaviour, after she hit the berg at any rate, was irreproachable.

He is a coward. But I am not so concerned. What is he supposed to do when the boat is tipped on its side? Of course it would be nice if he was a hero. But the man sounded terrified. Not everyone can be a hero. If he panicked he panicked. Focusing on him as a witch hunt is a mob mentality. I don't think any captain should be forced to go down with his ship. That's sickening to even suggest. Everyone who could get off should have gotten off. Imagine if you had gotten off and then been told to go back on. Some people could do it. Some people could not. The whole incident was a disaster and a tragedy. But as I read, it said the power surged on the boat. Which caused it to crash. So this is why it crashed. It is not the captains fault. So far.

Edited by Cassea

He is a coward. But I am not so concerned. What is he supposed to do when the boat is tipped on its side? Of course it would be nice if he was a hero. But the man sounded terrified. Not everyone can be a hero. If he panicked he panicked. Focusing on him as a witch hunt is a mob mentality. I don't think any captain should be forced to go down with his ship. That's sickening to even suggest. Everyone who could get off should have gotten off. Imagine if you had gotten off and then been told to go back on. Some people could do it. Some people could not. The whole incident was a disaster and a tragedy. But as I read, it said the power surged on the boat. Which caused it to crash. So this is why it crashed. It is not the captains fault. So far.

What a minute C. He went of course to satisfy a friends need to show of the boat. He was off course. The Captain of any ship is --by law--supposed to help in any way he can and stay aboard the ship until the last man, woman and child has either escaped or died. Here are some Maritime rules. http://www.imo.org/about/conventions/listofconventions/pages/international-convention-for-the-safety-of-life-at-sea-(solas),-1974.aspx

I do not think the captain was the only offence in this terrible accident. Poor equipment and training were as much a problem as his poor judgement. I think the court time will be very extensive in this case and new rules will abound. JMO

Edited by Robbie333

I don't know what you mean. Yes he's a coward. Do you see the first sentence in my post. However to say that he should go down with his ship is sickening. He's a coward and he didn't act heroically. But I can understand that not everyone can be a hero. Some people just can't handle it. The Titanic didn't turn on it's side. There were people trapped because it turned on its side and filled with water. How is he supposed to do anything for those people at all? He's a boat captain not a rescue hero. So I can understand his panic. I just don't understand this desire for his death. He will be prosecuted of course.

I don't know what you mean. Yes he's a coward. Do you see the first sentence in my post. However to say that he should go down with his ship is sickening. He's a coward and he didn't act heroically. But I can understand that not everyone can be a hero. Some people just can't handle it. The Titanic didn't turn on it's side. There were people trapped because it turned on its side and filled with water. How is he supposed to do anything for those people at all? He's a boat captain not a rescue hero. So I can understand his panic. I just don't understand this desire for his death. He will be prosecuted of course.

Oh, I do not think he should be put to death. I do think he should lose his captains license forever. I understand not everyone is a hero nor can be but to me, any human being would stay to help people in trouble but that is just my opinion. I am not being hard nosed about this but I guess I just do not understand how he could leave and not help.

Edited by Robbie333

Oh, I do not think he should be put to death. I do think he should lose his captains license forever. I understand not everyone is a hero nor can be but to me, any human being would stay to help people in trouble but that is just my opinion. I am not being hard nosed about this but I guess I just do not understand how he could leave and not help.

I didn't know he took the ship off course. I read that there was a power surge and then they had no control of the ship. For now it's too soon to know I guess. When I saw how quickly it went to it's side I could understand people just jumping off the boat. It was near a shore in not icy cold waters. People should have been about to get out. But if they were trapped, the likelihood that he would be able to do anything would have been nil. At the same time he should have taken over the scene and even just stayed to help guild the actions or direct rescuers. This man is going to have a sad life now. He will never live this down. I feel so bad for the people involved.

I didn't know he took the ship off course. I read that there was a power surge and then they had no control of the ship. For now it's too soon to know I guess. When I saw how quickly it went to it's side I could understand people just jumping off the boat. It was near a shore in not icy cold waters. People should have been about to get out. But if they were trapped, the likelihood that he would be able to do anything would have been nil. At the same time he should have taken over the scene and even just stayed to help guild the actions or direct rescuers. This man is going to have a sad life now. He will never live this down. I feel so bad for the people involved.

I agree. Sad for all involved. It should however put in momentum new rules and regs to help future accidents.

I didn't know he took the ship off course. I read that there was a power surge and then they had no control of the ship. For now it's too soon to know I guess.

Sounds like a rather convenient excuse, doesn't it ...

Anyway, Costa seem to be pulling out all the stops to try to salvage something from this from a PR point of view ...

Adding insult to injury

Costa director accuses ship survivors of 'sensationalism'

Passenger reports are nonsense, she claims

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/01/19/costa-concordia-tragedy-cruise-director-schettino_n_1215711.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D92821

:rolleyes:

I'm wondering whether Carnival Corp might not want to start thinking about dropping Costa from their portfolio ...

Edited by 747400

Well sadly these days, she is probably right. Most people if they did survive easily would be thinking about a law suit before they even dried off.

It's strange earlier someone posted only part of the conversation of the Captain. That would be considered unethical in media. But if you read here. The captain didn't abandon the ship. He fell off the ship when the ship listed and pulled himself into a lifeboat with others. They are asking him to climb back into a boat that is tipped on its side. He said he is coordinating. So he didn't leave as has been reported. He also states that it is dark and that he can't see. So he's thrown from the ship. The ship is on its side. He can't see. But he's a coward for not going back on board? That's a pretty easy judgment to make from the comfort of our own homes.

Coastguard official, Captain Gregorio De Falco (CG): “Hello. This is De Falco from Livorno, am I speaking with the captain?”

Captain Francesco Schettino (FS): “Yes, good evening Captain De Falco.”

CG: “Am I speaking with the captain? Please tell me your name.”

FS: “This is captain Schettino.”

CG: “Schettino? Listen Schettino, there are people trapped on board. Now you need to go on your lifeboat, under the bow of the ship on the side. There is a ladder. You need to climb up the ladder and board the ship. Get on board and report to me how many people there are. Is that clear? I am recording this conversation, captain Schettino.”

FS: “Captain, let me tell you one thing...”

CG: “Speak up!”

FS: “The ship, at this moment...”

CG: “Captain, speak up! Shield the microphone with your hand and speak louder, clear?”

FS: “At this moment the ship is tilted.”

CG: “I understand. Listen, there are people who are coming down the ladder on the bow. Go back in the opposite direction, get back on the ship, and tell me how many people there are and what they have on board. Clear? Tell me if there are children, women and what kind of help they need. And you tell me the number of each of these categories. Is that clear? Look, Schettino, perhaps you have saved yourself from the sea but I will make you look very bad. I will make you pay for this. Dammit!”

FS: “Captain, please...”

CG: “There is no 'please’ about it. Go back on board. Assure me you are going back on board!”

FS: “I am in the lifeboat, under the ship, I haven’t gone anywhere, I’m here.”

CG: “What are you doing?”

FS: “I am coordinating...”

CG: “What are you coordinating there? Get on board the ship and coordinate the rescue on board. Are you refusing?”

FS: “No, no I am not refusing.”

CG: “Are you refusing to go on board? Tell me the reason why you are not going.”

FS: “I am not going because there is another lifeboat that has stopped.”

CG: “You get on board. This is an order. You need to continue the rescue. You called the evacuation, now I am in charge. You need to go on board the ship, is that clear?”

FS: “Captain.”

CG: “Can you hear me?”

FS: “I am going.”

CG: “Go. Call me when you are on board. My air rescue team is there. He is at

the bow. Get going. There are already corpses Schettino. Move!”

FS: “How many dead are there?”

CG: “I don’t know. One I am aware of. One I’ve heard of. You need to be telling me this. Christ!”

FS: “But you are aware it is dark and we can’t see anything?”

CG: “And what do you want? To go back home, Schettino? It’s dark and you want to go back home? Get on the bow of the ship and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what do they need. Now!”

FS: “I am here with the second commander.”

CG: “Excuse me?”

FS: “I am here with the second commander his name is...”

CG: “So both of you, get on board, both of you. What is the name of the second?”

FS: “Dimitry.”

CG: “Dimitry who?”

FS: “Dimitry... “ (Unclear)

CG: “You and your second commander, go and get on board now. Is that clear?”

FS: “I want to get on board the ship but the other lifeboat has stopped its engine and it is drifting and I called other rescuers.”

CG: “It’s already one hour you are telling me this. Now, get on board. Get on board! And you tell me how many people there are.”

FS: “OK, Captain.”

CG: “Go, right now!”

After a short break and with rescue workers struggling to evacuate the remaining passengers and crew from the ship, the exchange between Capt De Falco and Capt Schettino continues:

CG: “Captain, I am De Falco from Livorno.”

FS: “I have called the company and they told me there are hundreds of people on board the ship. I think.”

CG: “Captain can you not give me an exact number?”

FS: “It seems like it’s 100. Captain, I am not able to give you the exact number. Earlier we were carrying out the evacuation of all the passengers and now all of us officers are here.”

CG: “Where are you? You and your officers are all on the lifeboat?”

FS: “Yes, me and the second commander...”

CG: “Excuse me but earlier it was just you and your sailor and now you are telling me that you are there with the officers. So you could have continued the evacuation? Why don’t you go back on board and see what is happening and then tell us?

FS: “At the moment...”

CG: “Get back on board! Send someone back on board to coordinate.”

FS: “I am coordinating at the moment.”

CG: “I am giving you an order captain. You must send someone on board.”

FS: “We are going on board to coordinate.”

CG: “Exactly, you have to go back on board to coordinate the evacuation. Is that clear?”

FS: “But we can’t go back on board now.”

CG: “Why did you get them off Captain?

FS: “They abandoned the ship.”

CG: “One hundred people still on board and you abandoned the ship?

FS: “I didn’t abandon any ship because the ship turned on its side quickly and we were catapulted into the water.”

CG: “We will see later what happened. OK. But from now you let me know everything that is happening. You stay on the life boat and don’t you go away. Is that clear?”

FS: “We are here, we are here.”

I have to say, assuming it was accurately translated, I don't know how much authority the Italian coastgaurd have, but that captain de Falco comes across as a little arrogant, especially if he was speaking from Livorno; how could he presume to know more about what was going on than one on the spot?

That's how it came across to me as well. That people just jumped on this without using common sense. Seems to me the land based Captain didn't understand what the other one was saying. How in the heck is supposed to climb back into a tipped over Cruise liner. Does anyone realize how huge this boat is? He's telling him to go to the ladder. The captain is telling him the boat is sideways. We'll see once the media frenzy dies down. It's just a shame when people pass on bad reporting. I almost feel bad for the Captain. :ph34r:

I just do not understand how he could leave and not help.

I agree with you Robbie.. I do not understand how he could leave

He is not meant to leave unless he knows for sure everyone is off...If everyone is not off,A captains ethics is to risk his life..and that could mean go down with the ship..

Article 1097 of Italy's Maritime Law says- that if the commander does not leave last, he risks two years in jail; if the vessel is lost, two to eight years; if the boat is used to carry people, three to 12 years.

Rod Sullivan, an expert in maritime law for Florida Coastal School of Law, explains."The captain's responsibility on a passenger ship is to stay aboard the vessel to assist in rescue efforts, and if he leaves the vessel before the passengers are rescued without a really good reason, he's subject to criminal penalties," Sullivan said

.http://www.news4jax.com/news/Maritime-law-Capt-has-ultimate-responsibility/-/475880/8280720/-/o87sewz/-/index.html

Has anyone else heard that the captain purposely steered closer to shore so a chief waiter could wave at a friend? I heard the story and couldn't believe all this chaos over something so innocent but foolish. Regardless of how it happened he should have been last man off. He accepted the rank, position, respect and compensation. He also has the responsibility by law and tradition to save his passengers.

Oh, I do not think he should be put to death. I do think he should lose his captains license forever.

I do not think he should be put to death either,In fact I would never suggest it... I just noted something that I once read years ago about how this sort of thing was dealt with in the past ..I think it was from the Navy on how they used to deal with matters like this or similar.. They took it all very seriously.. Do not quote me on that..I just read it somewhere long time ago...

The rest of the story gets ridiculous ... Take a look at this for what he media call a bizarre excuse

Captain Coward: 'I only left because I FELL into lifeboat when ship listed suddenly as I was trying to help'

Schettino made his bizarre excuse for leaving the ship during a three-hour court hearing in the mainland town of Grosseto before his release.

He told investigating magistrate Valeria Montesarchio: 'The passengers were rushing all over the decks trying to scramble into the lifeboats. I didn't even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers – I was trying to get them into the lifeboats in an orderly fashion. All of a sudden the boat listed between 60-70 degrees. I tripped and ended up in one of the lifeboats. That's why I was in there.'

Schettino's behaviour has already been called into question after dramatic audio tapes revealed how a furious harbour official had ordered him back on to the bridge to oversee the rescue, after he was shocked to learn he had already left the Concordia despite dozens of passengers still needing help.

The claims come as rescue divers suspended their search after the ship slipped 'a few more centimetres' from its rocky resting place, sparking fears it could soon plummet 100m down to the bottom of the sea.

It goes on to read...

Another hero to emerge is Captain Roberto Bosio, who was off duty on the Concordia and gave the order to abandon ship after Schettino delayed for 45 minutes. He said: 'Only a disgraceful man would have left all those people on board.'

As Schettino faces the prospect of charges of multiple manslaughter, causing shipwreck and abandoning ship, the devastating transcript of Friday night's events appeared to make a mockery of his claims that he had 'saved' lives.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1jwrprxln

I find his excuse just as the media report as bizarre and so convenient that he FELL off the ship and ........into a lifeboat !!

The paper reads when the ship 1st hit the rocks, he was having dinner with some woman at the time...and once he heard about it, he still wanted to finish his meal and asked the chef - where's my drink?

Edited by Beckys_Mom