Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

do "nice" ghosts exist?

Fallen Whispers

Just wondering, but, is there anything like a nice ghost? Or are all ghost still dwelling on earth because they have unfinished business? I Know absolutely nothing about ghosts, could someone please enlighten me?

Yes, there are nice ghosts! (I am talking about 'active hauntings' here.....)

Some ghosts do have unfinished business (and I have first-hand experience of this), and some either don't know they have passed, or can't accept it, so they go about their usual business.

Most spirits are people visiting loved ones from the other side. There is no need to be scared of a ghost of your deceased relative -- they are the same in 'death' as they were in life. They worry about us and check up on us like they did when they were in physical form.

I guess it's possible that there are "nice ghosts". :cat:

Well living people all have different personalities and moods, why not that carried over unto death?

If I am to believe a friend I lived with, he had previously lived in a house with a "friendly" ghost. The ghost caused him and the others no problems. The guy felt he was just one of the members of the house, and they named him "Bob". Whenever something odd happened, like items being moved, or noises being heard, they would just say "sounds like Bob is up and about".

The concept that there can be ghosts that aren't out to be mean and evil, but are simply there, is one I would easily understand.

But those stories aren't as exciting.

Maybe. *shrugs* I have always felt, based by the experiences I and my family members have had, that the military house we lived in Jersey was probably haunted. There was a neighbor who told me a story about the tale of a ghost name George, who was military, was visiting houses and watching over the wives of deployed husbands. I try to write. I still do. But one time, I actually got down unto my computer and wrote and finished (fanfiction ;) ) a story and actually submitted it to some sites. The fact I did that amazed me. I always joke that George helped me write it. ;) So, who knows ;) ;)

Just wondering, but, is there anything like a nice ghost? Or are all ghost still dwelling on earth because they have unfinished business? I Know absolutely nothing about ghosts, could someone please enlighten me?

~ FAllen ~ WhIsPeRs

If you were trapped in this world while no one (or very few people) interact with you, would you be able to keep your cool, kind personality? That's the theory at least...

Well there are cute and cuddly ghosts like Casper and Marshmellow man.

But other than that I am not sure if many ghosts exist.

I am getting quite hungry at the moment.

There are no nice ghost. There all evil and only act nice in order to drag your soul to hell with them. Have a nice day.

This is true! I dwell in the netherworld a lot. And I must say they have tried to drag me into

the Eternal Abyss many times.

I'll tell you this for free in a random thread, I had no idea the english pub I grew up in as a kid was haunted until I inquired about it myself years later to my parents who admitted it was heavily rumoured from old inhabitants and a few regulars, yes drinks flowed there but not every drunk sees ghosts at random. My toy cars used to inexplicably end up two locked doors downstairs into the beer cellar a few times a month overnight... there was a colossal building site attached to the pub, it was literally the only building still standing on one side of a whole block, a victorian mill had burnt down and never been redeveloped, just brick and random crud everywhere, the fun and imaginative delves me and my bro and friends had in there, it was magical. There was eternally a sullen and depressive ''glow'' (inversely if you can contemplate that kinda dynamic from a blossoming child's perspective) hanging over the place whilst within it, outside it seemed much more accessible and salubrious. Anyway, the woman who haunted it, one recorded 'death' was a worker who died in the millfire who worked in the mill but lived in a room in the coaching inn next to it, she never interfered or did anything untoward, but she did enjoy moving our toys into the most random places overnight, the tv remote, keys, my cars, coathangers... I'd wager 'she' was more a lingering energy than sentient but I can say she wasn't evil even though having 'her' life taken from her you could accept her leftover energy being bitter and resentful.

Edited by DancingCorpse

I have had a few experiences in my 60+years and I do feel that there are both nice and not so nice ghosts. The nice ones don't bother you. You know they are there, they know you are there and you co-exist with them without any untoward disturbances.. The not so nice ones also make their presence felt but in a completely manner. As with the nice ones, you know they are there, they know you are there but they certainly don't want to co-exist with you and they make that patently obvious!

It is possible for nice ghosts but there is also demonic ones. I find it possible because a close family member could have passed away or a person close to you and you can still have a spiritual connection with them but because they are a ghost doesn't make them all bad. But there are also the kind that want to do nothing but hurt you and do whatever they can to drive you out of their resting place. I find this true also because i have noticed that a lot of activity happen in burial places like lets say a house was built over a grave. The spirit will consider the house theirs and will try to basically protect whats theirs. There is a lot of proof for bother bad and good but it really varies.

Well, we can define around the existence question easily enough: are there reported ghost stories that feature nice ghosts?

Sure. Here's one that is fairly well known in New England, with a grandmotherly spectre,

https://uncertaintist.wordpress.com/2012/10/27/a-real-life-new-england-ghost-story-for-halloween/

There is also a ghost story connected with Elmer van Orden, who used to own the High Tor in upstate New York (now a park). The ghost was his fiancee, who died before they married. The location of the haunting was her house, and observed by a local radio host, Hume Dixon, who lived in the house years later. The ghost was reportedly good company, and was not seen after van Orden died. The house no longer exists, so far as I know.

That's two.

Actually I was just joking with my comment. So don't take it seriously. So far in my life I've haven't actually come across any malicious or evil spirits. I had one that would walk to my closet and point at the breaker box. Did that every night till the day we left. I think it was 3 or 4 days later (been around 29 years I think) that he house burned down. I remember playing with the next door neighbors daughter when we were in kindergarten. I was talking to my parents about it and they told me that no one lived in that house. So I don't know what to make of it. Either I've got a very vivid imagination or somethings up.

• 1 year later...

Yes there are good ghosts. I have encountered some for example, when my mother died back in 2011, i would feel the presence of her because I had dreams of her hugging me and telling me that she's okay.  And I feel like good spirits are here for good reasons.  Like my mom never got to physically see me and my little brother grow up but I can tell she helps is in many ways.

I think of ghosts as manifestations from our psyche, and as such, they can be pleasant or unpleasant based on what frame of mind we happen to be in. 

Mine have been more unpleasant than not. I decided not to let it be open season for whatever phenomena my psyche wishes to manifest. 

• Like 1

I also thought of spirits to be people and I indicate them for not what they are but who they are instead because I believe they have feelings and thoughts which they want to share with us because as a human we value feelings and emotions. This is why we get those emotions in parts of places, which is them sharing human emotion with us and how they felt. 

There was one in a pub near here who's totally inoffensive, just sat there at the bar as he did in life. He was accepted by the regulars and ex landlord as part of the fixtures and fittings.

That's the story anyway. 

Spirits......ghosts....what ever you want to call them,are good and not really bad.......but sometimes....they give feelings of you invading their private space so to speak......and try to give signals of their presents......

Most  ghosts are benign in nature, malicious hauntings are primarily a fabrication of Hollywood. 

Edited by AustinHinton

My mom encountered "something" dark in one house. I never felt it. But in another, I had a playful ghost. It was always hiding stuff. I accused the family but they swore it was not them. At night, it would sound like someone walking up and down the hall, but mom said it wasn't her (I had a baby brother at the time). The dog would sometimes look at the corner of the living room and growl low or bark. I never felt threatened though.