Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Extinct' monkey rediscovered in Borneo

Von Bismarck

An international team of scientists has found one of the rarest and least known primates in Borneo, Miller's Grizzled Langur, a species which was believed to be extinct or on the verge of extinction. The team's findings, published in the American Journal of Primatology, confirms the continued existence of this endangered monkey and reveals that it lives in an area where it was previously not known to exist.

Miller's Grizzled Langur (Presbytis hosei canicrus) is part of the small primate genus Presbytis, found across Borneo, Sumatra, Java and the Thai-Malay Peninsula. In Borneo, P.h. canicrus is only found in a small corner of the county's north east and its habitat has suffered from fires, human encroachment and conversion of land for agriculture and mining.

The team's expedition took to them to Wehea Forest in East Kalimantan, Borneo, a large 38,000 ha area of mostly undisturbed rainforest. Wehea contains at least nine known species of non-human primate, including the Bornean orangutan and gibbon.

'Extinct' monkey rediscovered in Borneo by new expedition

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Von Bismarck

• Ashotep

• Bavarian Raven

• Jester Harlot

I think its great when we discover animals that we thought was extinct.

Wow, I love it when this happens! Isn't nature amazing?

Wow, I love it when this happens! Isn't nature amazing?

Wow!! Does everyone think that primates and other animals are just plain stupid or what? Their habitat was largely destroyed by fires and mining operations. Personally, I think they are smart enough to move to an area with the resources they need. They are not going to remain in their old habitat range and become extinct if they can help it. If destruction of an area thought to be the range of a certain primate was enough to force the animal to extinction a lot of animals would no longer exist because they would not have evolved enough of a brain to figure out it is smarter to move than it is to stay in some habitat determined to be their range by a scientist with too many letters after his/her name. I love it when this happens also. A primate makes some scientists look like fools. They have been here all along and unlike the scientists, are smart enough to change their habitat. Evidently the scientists kept looking in the same places they had already determined to be unsuitable terrain while the Langurs got the hell out of Dodge...

Edited by PowerPC

I think its great when we discover animals that we thought was extinct.

So do I. It just goes to show we really don't know what's out there. Just because something isn't seen, it doesn't mean it's gone.