Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Superbugs spied off the Antarctic coast

Still Waters

BACTERIA that can resist nearly all antibiotics have been found in Antarctic seawater.

Björn Olsen of Uppsala University in Sweden and colleagues took seawater samples between 10 and 300 metres away from Chile's Antarctic research stations, Bernardo O'Higgins, Arturo Prat and Fildes Bay.A quarter of the samples of Escherichia coli bacteria carried genes that made an enzyme called ESBL, which can destroy penicillin, cephalosporins and related antibiotics.

Bacteria with these genes can be even more dangerous than the better known superbug MRSA. That's because the genes sit on a mobile chunk of DNA that can be acquired by many species of bacteria, increasing the incidence of drug-resistant infections such as the E. coli outbreak last year in Germany.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alienated Being

• Keel M.

• Skeptic Chicken

• Wildcard2

Did the superbug thrive there and become so deadly because of the remoteness of the place and the coldness of the water? or is there another reason?

I remember seeing a movie that was similar to this situation, but I can't remember the name of it. It was an ancient parasite that existed in the body of dead wooly mammoths found deep within the ice, and began infecting humans in an Antarctic research outpost.

I wish I could remember the name of it!

Edited by Alienated Being

We will just have to hope they dont let any loose anywhere away from the Antarctic. Bury them back in the ice I say :)

I remember seeing a movie that was similar to this situation, but I can't remember the name of it. It was an ancient parasite that existed in the body of dead wooly mammoths found deep within the ice, and began infecting humans in an Antarctic research outpost.

I wish I could remember the name of it!

Never watched the movie, but a google search provided "The Thaw" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thaw_(film)

That ring a bell?

Oh crap, here we go… zombie apocalypse 2012!

The ancient one entrapped this great evil long ago destroying themselves in the process.......

So between thes solar flares; the comets, the zombies and the new bacteria, the man made bacterias....... we'ez doomed........ ah forgot the super volcanoes.

@Alienated being I to remember that movie I was a b movie but it was pretty good

Yeah, I thought it was pretty good, as well. :)

dum dum du du du du du du du du du du

dum dum du du du du du du du du du du

daaaah daaah

daaaah daaah

(theme from "The Thing")

Haha I hope we do have a zombie outbreak that would be sick

You're sick and need help.

I hope what happens in Antarctic stays in Antarctic.

So you think.........

If you are so freaked out move to madagascar.

wait til it heats up a bit the ice will melt and they will be in the sea water. Or wait til a human picks it up on the bottom of their shoe or inthemselves. A pandemic of biblical proportions is inevitible it may not come from here someone right now could be sick. Technically HIV/AIDS is a massive pandemic. I am sure something will rock up we are overpopulated and live on top of eachother we can get around the world in a day.