Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Would-be Jedi jailed over lightsaber attack

__Kratos__

PORTLAND, Oregon — An Oregon judge has used his force to order a 45-day jail sentence and mental health evaluation for a would-be Jedi who attacked toy store customers with a pair of lightsabers.

David Allen Canterbury, 33, told Judge Kenneth Walker that he is already seeking mental health treatment. Canterbury also apologized to his victims.

The Oregonian reported that Canterbury pleaded no contest Monday to assault and resisting arrest.

Canterbury had a "Star Wars" lightsaber in each hand as he swung at three customers last Dec. 14 at a Toys R Us store, Portland police said. He carried the lightsabers outside the store and swung at police.

According to The Oregonian, police attempted to shoot Canterbury with a Taser but the suspected deflected one of the wires away.

More of the article here: Source

--------------------------------

This guy is just awesome and he's made my entire day already! :lol:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilly

• Aus Der Box Skeptisch

• The Unseen

• rashore

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the old days they used to court order disruptive mentally ill people into treatment (ie, they had no choice). Not any more, now the crazy folks are allowed to do pretty much as they please until they break a law and end up in jail (which is not really where they belong). What the heck are we (as a society) thinking? People like this need to be in a mental health facility.

The best part: " According to The Oregonian, police attempted to shoot Canterbury with a Taser but the suspected deflected one of the wires away."

Thats jedi for you.

In the old days they used to court order disruptive mentally ill people into treatment (ie, they had no choice). Not any more, now the crazy folks are allowed to do pretty much as they please until they break a law and end up in jail (which is not really where they belong). What the heck are we (as a society) thinking? People like this need to be in a mental health facility.

:tu:

Did he try to use the jedi mind trick on the police or the judge?

He deflected a taser attack! That's some skill right there. Kind of like when Luke and Obiwan would hit those laser blasts right back at the storm troopers / battle droids lol.

(sigh...) I hate when people do this. Makes all us Jedi look bad.

I agree. I never use my lightsaber in public. I stick with using my mind powers.

c050.gif

Well said. :tu:

I can't help to think of the fat comic book guy on the Simpsons in this situation.....best light saber fight ever!

Hahaha, that is funny.

Why didn't he use the Force push to knock the police down like bowling pins? Amateur...

I do have to admit the taser deflect was impressive though... :P

In all honesty, this is similar to the movie "Mazes and Monsters" which showed that the imagination can be a powerful tool in dealing with RPG's especially if you are all ready clouding up reality and fantasy or have given up on reality completely...

The Jedi are supposed to use their lightsaber in defense and using two is discouraged... This guy was more like a Sith!! Wonder what color those lightsabers were?

Too much TV or drugs or both..

Well spake Lilly!

Too bad asylums and sanitariums are left to ghost hunters instead of being used. There are a lot of people that need help waaayyyy more than they need jail.

That's just what we need to start packing everyone into asylums again. Hey that person has epilepsy lets throw them in. That person is depressed... throw them in ... hey that kid is hyper well I'm sure electro shock therapy will cure him.

I agree that there could be a better way but lets not go back to the way it used to be....

Tazer deflection +1

Not being able to tell friend from foe - 100

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Just like when Kenobi used his lightsaber to block Dooku's force lightning attack? Well maybe not.

I call it luck. Look, going good against tasers is one thing. Going good against

force lightning? That's something else....

That's just what we need to start packing everyone into asylums again. Hey that person has epilepsy lets throw them in. That person is depressed... throw them in ... hey that kid is hyper well I'm sure electro shock therapy will cure him...

I don't recall anyone suggesting people with depression or epilepsy should be placed in mental health facilities (?).

However, delusional people who end up in light saber duels with the police would be far better served in a mental health facility than just going to jail (which is where this poor fellow ended up).

I don't recall anyone suggesting people with depression or epilepsy should be placed in mental health facilities (?).

However, delusional people who end up in light saber duels with the police would be far better served in a mental health facility than just going to jail (which is where this poor fellow ended up).

LOL. No noone mentioned that at all I was just recalling the good ol days of asylums.

Interesting pages about lunacy in our past. It may be a bit of topic but some may find them interesting.

In regards to women

http://www.tngs.org/library/asylum.htm

An excerpt from a diary of a person in an asylum

http://danaleighton.edublogs.org/2006/05/18/a-diary-written-by-a-19th-century-asylum-inmate/

This next one is a bit harder to read but it talks about treatments throughout the ages...

http://www.mentalhealthstigma.com/insanecures.html

Ill end this with I'm thankful medicine and psychiatry has come a long way since our even recent history... there's a lot more out there if this type of history interests you. I simply threw together a couple random links for reading.

Good day to all.

Errr ... ummm ... Hi, Lilly. I'm a 100% disabled vet - service connected, ambulatory - and I suffer from Chronic Depression with suicidal ideation (not an unusual combination), severe PTSD, Transient Global Amnesia, Agoraphobia, Anxiety and a few other things too manini to mention. That first one - even without the suicidal part or any of the others - has landed me in a ward several times so, yes, depression is cause for being institutionalized. It isn't the only reason I've been in but just one of them. Heck, I think I've got a room reserved in my name at the VA psych lockdown by this time.

Well, I have to admit you do meet some of the most interesting people there. Er, in lockdown, not lockup. :lol:

Well, I have no desire to go back to the 'bad old days' where people were just slapped into 'insane asylums'. However, sending folks like this wanna be Jedi to jail, verses some type of mental health facility, doesn't seem to be a very good choice IMO. This fellow obviously needs some kind of treatment.

Also, it might not be all that safe for this guy to be running around thinking he has 'Jedi powers'. The next guy he gets into a fight with might just be armed with a real weapon.