Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life of crime is in the genes, study claims

Still Waters

Lifelong criminals could be genetically programmed to break the law, a study claims.

The idea crime could be in part genetic is extremely controversial because most criminologists argue the root causes of crime are environmental factors such as poverty.

But now a group of researchers claims that the genes we are born with could play an even more significant role in our chances of turning to a criminal lifestyle in later years.

A University of Texas study published in the Criminology journal found that although there is no single gene which causes criminal behaviour, there are probably a wide range which play a small part in raising or lowering our chance of offending.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DieChecker

• Eldorado

• Kopf Jaeger

• Neognosis

"most criminologists argue the root causes of crime are environmental factors such as poverty."

How does that work with millionaire politicians etc, the "privileged", robbing us blind? Are they not criminals?

I'd opine that it's your upbringing and the morals you have been taught that define wether you are a liar and a crook or not. Knowing and appreciating right from wrong.

Edited by Eldorado

I'd opine that it is a combination of upbringing, environment, genetics, and OPPORTUNITY.

I'd opine that it is a combination of upbringing, environment, genetics, and OPPORTUNITY.

....also egocentrism and greed?

Well obviously, some people are just greedier and more self-centered than others. It's obviously not ALL genes though, there are other factors as well.

The real criminals and terrorists are the ones that we elect.

I think everybody has both positive and negative tendencies within them no matter what. What it really comes down to is choices, imo. And whether or not people really care about what they choose. It's quite complex really.

There is a huge body of research regarding arousal seeking behavior and criminology. That those seeking arousal have tendency toward deviant activities such as crime, drug use, and other risky behaviors.

Aren't scientists trying to find an (other) excuse for the corrupted conducts of thieves murderers and/or other politicians

I agree on all 4.

Haven't some scientists been saying this for at least 10 years?

There is a genetic pre-disposition to just about everything. Illness, Gambling, Alcoholism, Mental illness... perhaps even religion, profession and political party??

Edited by DieChecker

So that explains RepubliKlans:

http://www.republicansexoffenders.com/

Look all the pedophiles and rapists, not to mention the fraudsters like Madoff, sociopaths like Ken Lay, Neo-Nazis, etc. - maybe we should just exterminate all RepubliKlans since it's pretty clear they're genetically programmed to be criminals.

Edited by therootsfan

Test the DNA of criminals and test the DNA of honest people and compare them.

So that explains RepubliKlans:

http://www.republicansexoffenders.com/

Look all the pedophiles and rapists, not to mention the fraudsters like Madoff, sociopaths like Ken Lay, Neo-Nazis, etc. - maybe we should just exterminate all RepubliKlans since it's pretty clear they're genetically programmed to be criminals.

If you dig around, you'll find there are just as many Democrat SOBs as there are GOP SOBs. Weiner, Edwards, Kennedy, Clinton, not to mention Blagovich.

http://gopcapitalist.tripod.com/democratrecord.html

It's a tough subject the whole nature vs. nurture. I don't think it can be attributed to any one thing, possibly a mix of many. We have people who were brought up in loving households who go on to commit unbelievably bad crimes, and we also have people brought up terrible conditions who do the same. If things like alcoholism can run in family's, i don't see it a far stretch that devient and criminal behaviour can also.

Seeing how I'm not like my alcoholic criminal heritage I have to say we make our own choices.

• 3 weeks later...

I work in corrections actually, It's a tough arguement as to whether it's genetic or a learned behavior. The majority of our offenders come from families who themselves have served time.. Interesting to see what researchers come up with .

Seeing how I'm not like my alcoholic criminal heritage I have to say we make our own choices.

Ya have a point here too.. I grew up on the streets of Washington DC, surrounded by crime and drugs, however I turned out on the polar opposite of the spectrum.