Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elephants took 24m generations to get this

Still Waters

Mammals evolved from the size of a mouse to that of an elephant during the last 24 million generations.

Shrinking is a much faster process, however. Large-scale reductions in size leading to dwarfism only take around 100,000 generations.

Scientists writing in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences looked at 28 groups of mammals, including elephants, primates and whales.

Size change since the age of the dinosaurs 70 million years ago was tracked by generations rather than years to account for varying life spans between species.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• angi chiesa

• ninjadude

• BaneSilvermoon

• 27vet

From the size of a mouse?.,.. wub.gif I loves elephants! Okay so what about those statuettes that they found of miniature elephants.,. ooooh a can of worms!!

how far back does creation theory go.

What do you mean by creation theory?

1) The Evolution theory(S) attempt to explain the facts of evolution back to the initial changes from non-living to living. A very amorphous concept.

2) The theory of abiogenisis attempts to explain how a non-living thing can become living - some 3.5 billion years ago.

3) Creationism is not a scientific theory.

Edited by ninjadude

1) The Evolution theory(S) attempt to explain the facts of evolution back to the initial changes from non-living to living.

I'm not sure a biological process should ever have non-living attached to it.

What do you mean by creation theory?

1) The Evolution theory(S) attempt to explain the facts of evolution back to the initial changes from non-living to living. A very amorphous concept.

2) The theory of abiogenisis attempts to explain how a non-living thing can become living - some 3.5 billion years ago.

3) Creationism is not a scientific theory.

Lol I think it was a bit of levity

We could extend that back to the first living cell, and for every organism on earth today. The big question is, did life on earth begin with the freak creation of one, or several cells, were they brought to earth from space...?

Hey NINGA my post was a LOL LOL LOL. Creation theory is another lol as far as i am concerned. If life came from space ,how it originated is not solved by this idea.I still like the idea that I had a slimey start,explains a lot.

I have just learned what LMAO means. Well AUS DER BOX it means lots of levity. Why is the elephant so small compared to previous life .And I ask you how many generations of SHREW has there been. Probably more than the elephant. Something screwy in this theory,dont you think.

I have just learned what LMAO means. Well AUS DER BOX it means lots of levity. Why is the elephant so small compared to previous life .And I ask you how many generations of SHREW has there been. Probably more than the elephant. Something screwy in this theory,dont you think.

The article is no where suggesting that each generation makes a creature grow or shrink, so the number of generations of shrew is irrelevant. It's simply suggesting that, for a small creature to grow very large on average, it would take a huge number of generations, and that a large creature can become smaller in a much shorter time frame. Which really seems quite sensible IMO.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

Hey NINGA my post was a LOL LOL LOL.

Then usually you post a smilie or actually say LOL in the post. You did neither.

Obviously creatures with a short lifespan would have gone through more generations.