Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Favourite book of all time?

Alienated Being

Spartan:

I really liked the Belgariad and the Wheel of Time series at first.. then they started annoying me with the way he wrote all of his female characters as 'super smart', 'super in control' and all the men as bumbling idiots - even though the main male character of each was 'the chosen one'...

I don't really remember the Belgariad, except that I loved it as a teenager. I'm also a wheel of time fan, and I don't think the main characters were "bumbling idiots". The impression I got was that they thought of themselves as inadequate but they really weren't - classic psychology, overcoming doubt in self.

Dune was great but I really didn't care for the sequels...

I actually wasn't a great fan of the original book (good but not great). The first two sequels though, Messiah, and Children of Dune, were and are on my all time favourite list. The rest of the series, I agree with you - meh Edited by Paranoid Android

I don't know if I'd recommend it unless you're willing to prepare yourself for what you're getting in to, but I personally love Ulysses.

• Like 1

My favourite series would be "the Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan.

No secret that this is my favorite series too :)

No secret that this is my favorite series too :)

Prove it....

*notices Dot's user name*

Damn that Tuon figure. Enjoy your marriage with Mr Cauthon :P

• Like 1

I read lots of stuff but not books generally but two books I seem to read over and over every few yrs are, A voyage to Arcturus and The Hobbit, A Voyage in an attempt to understand it and The Hobbit for the story..

I don't know if I'd recommend it unless you're willing to prepare yourself for what you're getting in to, but I personally love Ulysses.

I've not read it. I was forced to read The Dead in school and swore off of Joyce's work. I may just have to revisit it. I think perhaps I was just resentful of the issue of force where the reading was concerned.

It is too difficult to think of just one so here are a selection of some of my favourites, in no particular order.

The Last Man - Mary Shelley

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

The Monk - Matthew Gregory Lewis

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

War of the Worlds- HG Wells

Vathek - William Beckford

Waylander - David Gemmell

Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien

In a Glass Darkly - Sheridan Le Fanu

Phantom of the Opera - Goston Leroux

The Rats - James Herbert

Cabal - Clive Barker

I know I am missing some but I can't just yet remember them.

A book I ended up loving that I never thought I would get into is The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbary. That book is amazing I think. The story is told from alternating perspectives of the luxury apartment's concierge Madam Renee Michel and a 12 year old girl who lives in the building named Paloma Josse. While Renee Michel hides her intelligence and love for art and literature from the wealthy and cultured tenants, Paloma tries to use her own intelligence to make sense of her family and little things in life that seem ridiculous. She also intends to commit suicide on her 13th birthday. Sounds grim but the book is wonderful. Eventually the two discover what the other is hiding, intelligence wise, and become friends.

impossible

i couldn't choose one out of the countless that i have read. so many have impacted me in so many different ways.

impossible

To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee.

If I were t pick my top from fiction andnon fiction...

I'd say Night watch by Terry Pratchett, and Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan.

The Death Gate Cycle (seven-part series) by Weis and Hickman.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.

Just to name a few that pop into my head. Its hard when my library has over a 1,000 books in it :)

Of course I take it I'm not allowed to state my own work, lol :)

Oh,so many.

I love Poe,Dickens,Shakespear.

I love this book called Robots Have No Tails,about an inventor,who can only work when hes plastered drunk.

White Fang,Call of the Wild,Grapes of Wrath,The Color Purple.

I love stuff by Robert Asprin,William Peter Blatty.

I adore The Bartimaeus Trilogy,the Pendergast series by Lincoln and Child(like most of Lincoln's solo stuff too).

I mean ,cannot think of them all.

I love the Pendergast series. Preston and Child are favorite authors. I just finished reading Gideon's Corpse which is another series they are writing featuring a character named Gideon Crew. Read Blasphemy and Impact and am now reading Tyrannosaur Canyon by just Preston but have read Riptide which was written by both. Reliquary will always haunt me.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite book's of all time would have to be His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman which I read at least once every year.

Other book's I read repeatedly are Lord of the Ring, Harry Potter and Star Wars The Thrawn Trilogy. There have been many other books that I have only read once but which I enjoyed such as To Kill A Mockingbird and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Edited by TheTitan

• 1 month later...

I don't know how many books I have read in my life, but four or five a week is the norm. I'm actually reading The Gulag Archipelago by Alexander Solzhenitsyn as I write this. I rarely read fiction these days but when I did I would find an author I liked and would then read every novel they wrote. For a really memorable read that will stay with you [the mark of a good book] I would recommend

Gerald Durrell's Corfu trilogy ; My Family and Other Animals - Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Durrell

the Silmarillion by Tolkien and Guns Germs ans Steel by Diamond

• Like 1

I totally still love the Oz books by L. Frank Baum, amazing imagination he had. Also LOVE The Shining. I cried. I couldn't believe I cried! LOL There are many others as well. I'd also include the Bible. RIght now for the last several years I've been stuck reading biographies of famous people, and true ghost stories (like true house hauntings that the owners write about). I'd like to stop these though and move on, so I really appreciate all of the books listed in this thread as I have made several notes. :yes:

I totally still love the Oz books by L. Frank Baum, amazing imagination he had. Also LOVE The Shining. I cried. I couldn't believe I cried! LOL There are many others as well. I'd also include the Bible. RIght now for the last several years I've been stuck reading biographies of famous people, and true ghost stories (like true house hauntings that the owners write about). I'd like to stop these though and move on, so I really appreciate all of the books listed in this thread as I have made several notes. :yes:

The Shining beyond a doubt is my favorite King novel. I've read it multiple times. What an excellent build-up of distilled horror that like arsenic slowly poisons the reader's imaginations with terror of exponential potency combined with exceptional characterization, King really gets into Jack Torrance's obsessive noggin as he gradually goes around the bend over the course of the novel with plenty of spooky and sinister going-ons.

5 must read King novels are The Shining, IT, Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary, and Cujo. Those are my favorites that's why. Why the exclusion of The Stand (one of King's most popular works)? 'cuz I enjoyed these five more and have mixed apprehensions over The Stand despite being such a genuinely epic horror novel with a genuinely epic theme.

Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov (anything by Nabokov, but this is my favourite)

I also, bizarrely, love Dr William Buchan's Domestic Medicine. It's a one-stop-shop for all your 18th century medical needs.

Andy Summers' bio - One Train Later

Dune

The Hobbit

REH's Conan short stories. They put them all in one book now without DeCamp's contributions. I don't remember the name of the book lol, That one though.

Stephen Batchelor's Buddhism Without Beliefs.

I dunno. That's a hard question. lol

I believe I read some 35 - 40 books already and I must say that the one I loved and read more than once is The Silmarilion - JRR Tolkien. Best read ever for me.

• Like 2

The Shining beyond a doubt is my favorite King novel. I've read it multiple times. What an excellent build-up of distilled horror that like arsenic slowly poisons the reader's imaginations with terror of exponential potency combined with exceptional characterization, King really gets into Jack Torrance's obsessive noggin as he gradually goes around the bend over the course of the novel with plenty of spooky and sinister going-ons.

5 must read King novels are The Shining, IT, Salem's Lot, Pet Semetary, and Cujo. Those are my favorites that's why. Why the exclusion of The Stand (one of King's most popular works)? 'cuz I enjoyed these five more and have mixed apprehensions over The Stand despite being such a genuinely epic horror novel with a genuinely epic theme.

Yes, I couldn't agree more about the Shining - I first saw the Krubeck movie version. It has it's merits, but overall not one of my favorite movies. When I read the book I was blown away at how good it was, and so different than Krubick's version. The story is just amazing, and really delves into the pysche of an alcoholic guilt-ridden father. And thanks for the reminder, I have been meaning to read both IT and Salem's Lot! I'll check out Cujo as well. Pet Semetary is also on my list - I tried to read it when I was in my teens but I totally wussed out, the sister in the back room just terrified me. I need to try again though. ;)

Yes, I couldn't agree more about the Shining - I first saw the Krubeck movie version. It has it's merits, but overall not one of my favorite movies. When I read the book I was blown away at how good it was, and so different than Krubick's version. The story is just amazing, and really delves into the pysche of an alcoholic guilt-ridden father. And thanks for the reminder, I have been meaning to read both IT and Salem's Lot! I'll check out Cujo as well. Pet Semetary is also on my list - I tried to read it when I was in my teens but I totally wussed out, the sister in the back room just terrified me. I need to try again though. ;)

Yeah, Kubrick missed the mark big time. He relied too much on parlour scare visuals and music stings. Ooh scary... Jack is leering into the camera... ooh scary... Shelley is grimacing into the camera... oooh scary... Scatman Carruthers is trembling unblinking into the camera. And what is up with those synchronous twins, they werent in the book?????

And Jack arrived on the set already looking a 100% certifiable lunatic not a man wants to rebuild his family relations and whose career has been downsized from prestigious academic teacher to winter caretaker at a remote hotel in the Colorado rockies. The book has so much more characterization and depth and emotional investment.

I am sure you will enjoy these other three books. King really knows how to capture terror in small town America.

• Like 1