Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iceland 'Lake Monster' Captured on Film?

Still Waters

Footage was captured of an obscure phenomenon yesterday which appeared to be swimming in the glacial river Jökulsá í Fljótsdal, east Iceland.

People speculate whether this may be the notorious snake-like monster Lagarfljótsormurinn, which is said to reside in the lake Lagarfljót.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Englishgent

• Paracelse

• vitruvian12

• Wyverna

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't look too big, and looks very much like a rather cold snake.

Only problem with that is Iceland has no snake species naturally on the island. . Unless one has escaped from captivity. The other possiblilty is that this creature (as it would appear to be living) is a largish eel, possibly a conger eel or similar. It certainly isnt big enough to be what I would call a monster :)

I could go with the fishing net theory. It seems the damn thing was cloaked in chunks of ice, much like a net being pulled through the water would become. :blush:

It doesn't look too big, and looks very much like a rather cold snake.

Only problem with that is Iceland has no snake species naturally on the island. . Unless one has escaped from captivity. The other possiblilty is that this creature (as it would appear to be living) is a largish eel, possibly a conger eel or similar. It certainly isnt big enough to be what I would call a monster :)

I dont agree that it looks like a living creature. he shape is formed by the ice on its left side. The object is being pushed against and along the ice by the current. The "head" doesnt lead its direction but rather gets pushed along at an off angle to its actual direction of travel. As with most videos like this, if this was really a video of an unknown creature why stop filming as it got nearer? It seems odd to simply stop filming as the creature becomes more and more visible. The usual answer to this is the video is edited to end at this point because after the end it most likely becomes obvious what the object really is.

I dont agree that it looks like a living creature. he shape is formed by the ice on its left side. The object is being pushed against and along the ice by the current. The "head" doesnt lead its direction but rather gets pushed along at an off angle to its actual direction of travel. As with most videos like this, if this was really a video of an unknown creature why stop filming as it got nearer? It seems odd to simply stop filming as the creature becomes more and more visible. The usual answer to this is the video is edited to end at this point because after the end it most likely becomes obvious what the object really is.

In most cases of alleged monster sightings I would have to agree with you. and I see where you are coming from regarding the current. But from the close-ups of this 'thing' it does look like an eel (or snake, but more likely an eel) The head is the right shape and the body is of the right proportions. It appears to be swimming like an eel too. If it was merely the current I dont think it would create the same effect. I think it would just push the object along sideways rather than a snake-like movement. . This appears to be swimiing through the current.

Of course, I could be wrong and without the original video to make a detailed study it is going to be one of those things that maybe wont be solved.

I think the fact remains, (whether it is real or an inanimate object), it is not a monster. :)

edit typo :blush:

Edited by Englishgent

If it was merley the current I dont think it would create the same effect. I think it would just push the object along sideways rather than a snake-like momvement. . This appears to be swimiing through the current.

I agree, the movement certainly seems to be there.

Any ideas on what is in the water at 0:5-0:14 bottom right of screen?

also is this the same object at 0:27 top right hand corner?

Lastly why the different shots (seemingly at two different angles) not just zoomed in. why edited for the zooming anyhow?

and as someone pointed out...why stop filming at key point ????

Okay, why did I get a " server not found " on this? LOL

SO INTERESTING how the human mind works.

If this was NOT a video, and instead an eyewitness saw what is on the video, I wonder how their recollection would change over the course of a day, week, month, years, with the retelling? I wonder if the recollection would become sharper and all sorts of detail would embed itself into the memory.

I agree, the movement certainly seems to be there.

Any ideas on what is in the water at 0:5-0:14 bottom right of screen?

also is this the same object at 0:27 top right hand corner?

Lastly why the different shots (seemingly at two different angles) not just zoomed in. why edited for the zooming anyhow?

and as someone pointed out...why stop filming at key point ????

The video is jumping about all over the place when I try to view it and very difficult to get the times you have given. Also, when paused, you cannot go back in time like the usual video playback thingies. Probably the slow download I have just now. I will try looking again tomoz,

What Vitruvian has said could also be correct, if the object is tethered then it might be possible to give the effect that it is swimming like an eel, assuming the current was moving in the right direction. In this case the current appears to be coming from the left side but is might be that there is a strong undercurrent flowing from ''head to tail' of the object. This would, I think, give the movement seen. :)

I think its someone playing tricks...an escaped snake couldnt live in the temperature of a glacial river for very long,if at all...

Whatever it was everything but a snake... I think it is some sort of snake and that one who said it is moving with the current was wrong last 5 seconds of the video shows it has its own path, it is moving up the river... and i think it's cool looks damn real to me. You should be lucky just to see such things like a video instead of someone telling you how it happened.

Whatever it was everything but a snake... I think it is some sort of snake and that one who said it is moving with the current was wrong last 5 seconds of the video shows it has its own path, it is moving up the river... and i think it's cool looks damn real to me. You should be lucky just to see such things like a video instead of someone telling you how it happened.

First snake i know of that can exist in obvious freezing conditions....may be wrong but it usually makes them shut down...:hmm:

Probably a pair of old tights.

If you squint and with a bit of wishful thinking when it focuses in one end does look like the head of a snake.

Or it could be any old flotsam and jetsum and its movement could be down tobe being snagged under the surface.

Edited by whatsthat

Okay, why did I get a " server not found " on this? LOL

That is what it says for me too. Maybe too much traffic?

It really looks like a large snake to me. The head is pretty clear in a few frames and it looks like a large boa constrictor. I don't know what its doing in the ice water, but it really looks like a snake.

Rocketgirl B)

Dont you see it as coincidental that the snake is the same shape as the ice the current is flowing against?

Edited by vitruvian12

Well on the first look, it does look like a snake.The head, the movement,etc.But as i look more thoroughly..The eyes. They are covered in ice, and the "rifts" on it's back are strange. On the other hand i don't have anything to compare it to, it can be 3 meters, or 33.... If one more tape, from another angle was possible that would be nice :)

As I said in my first post, if it is a snake it must be one that has escaped from captivity as Iceland does not have any snakes indigenous to the country. . Therefore, (assuming) it is a snake, it would probably not last long, hence the slow movement and being iced up. It could be an eel in which case just being on the surface could cause ice to form on it's body. It could also be an inanimate object, tethered, (or snagged as another post suggested) causing it to look lifelike. I dont think we have sufficient information on the video to make a real decision. :)

That is what it says for me too. Maybe too much traffic?

I can see the video now from Home.

It does look like a snake. Could be a robot. Could just be a snake (Boa) that some idiot tossed into the stream. Probably why it is moving so slowly, its freezing to death.

What inanimate object makes it's own path against the current using a side to side motion? :lol:

Come on sceptics. Sure It's not a monster but that doesn't mean It's not a creature we know of.

As I said in my first post, if it is a snake it must be one that has escaped from captivity as Iceland does not have any snakes indigenous to the country. . Therefore, (assuming) it is a snake, it would probably not last long, hence the slow movement and being iced up. It could be an eel in which case just being on the surface could cause ice to form on it's body. It could also be an inanimate object, tethered, (or snagged as another post suggested) causing it to look lifelike. I dont think we have sufficient information on the video to make a real decision. :)

:tu:

can anyone explain the footage and why differing angles and obvious edited parts???

I dont think its a living creature. It sort of looks like it trails towards its 'shoulder' with its 'head' slowly swinging back and forth, Then the rest of it trails in the same pattern and the non snake looking parts were edited out. IMO