Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jurassic cricket's song recreated

Still Waters

Night-time in the Jurassic forest was punctuated by the unmistakable sound of chirping bush crickets.

This is according to scientists who have reconstructed the song of a cricket that chirped 165 million years ago.

A remarkably complete fossil of the prehistoric insect enabled the team to see the structures in its wings that rubbed together to make the sound.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paracelse

• angi chiesa

• Chooky88

• Spock_the_Future

Top Posters In This Topic

I almost posted that news, was on science daily this morning but then I had to work, making money the whole kitten kaboudle (got an addiction mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa I enjoy 3 meals a day and a roof over my head) so Still beat me to it... bravo Still Waters

I almost posted that news, was on science daily this morning but then I had to work, making money the whole kitten kaboudle (got an addiction mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa I enjoy 3 meals a day and a roof over my head) so Still beat me to it... bravo Still Waters

Lol!

Also, OP is quite interesting. I would like Dr Zapata to be given fossils/remains of currently living species for him to recreate their song, so that we can compare with the real sounds & see how accurate this method is.

Tim.

an English gentleman would say "what a waste of time persuing such a pointless study...IT JUST ISNT CRICKET"

What? You don't want to know if a falling tree makes any sound in a sylvan forest? You don't like the sound of cricket when Lucy was roasting something on the nonexistent fire? Did hominid knew the use of fire 165 millions years ago? Was there any hominids back then? :innocent: :innocent:

Lol!

Also, OP is quite interesting. I would like Dr Zapata to be given fossils/remains of currently living species for him to recreate their song, so that we can compare with the real sounds & see how accurate this method is.

Tim.

My thoughts exactly. I do have to say it's pretty cool to actually hear Audio from a time no one can tell how the earth sounded, brings a new dimension to the past.. Would want the validation you, Timothy, mentioned first though.

I spent a few years in Crete. At night the crikets set up a continuous nerve racking ,drive you crazy, sound. I hate crickets and do not want to know the sound of ancient crickets.They are usefull,cos they make good bait when fishing