Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trojans were Basques?

The Puzzler

Buren in Dutch apparently means neighbours.

I know Frisian quite well and know that bur in Frisian also means neighbours.

bð-r 50 und häufiger?, afries., st. M. (a): nhd. Bauer (M.) (1), Nachbar,

Mitbewohner, Dorfgenosse, Bürger?; ne. neighbour (M.), farmer, citizen?

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/altfriesischeswoerterbuch/afries-B.pdf

This is my first visit to this thread. I actually thought the title said "Trojans wore Basques" when I first quickly read it.

Anyway, of course they do. Well something similiar, anyway.

man_courting_young_boy_ancient_greece1.jpg

(seriously, having lived in Basque country for two and a half years recently, I wouldn't put anything past them. Ingenious people, with so many customs and foibles, all lost in the midst of time and linked by a language you have to have suffered a tracheotomy to be able to speak, and to have severely special communication skills to be able to pick up. A wonderful place)

Thanks for popping in, I'd love to visit it myself - I like your overview, I wouldn't put it past them either.

buren as neighbours will go back to burch, burgh, castle, fortress, cage, bur. To me, this goes to buru as head.

Edited by The Puzzler

There may be a Basque presence in the Caucasus in general imo. Macedonians and Slavs are showing language connections the most imo.

I can follow an Achilles line all the way through.

tita is a common Basque word, and it relates to breast - it means 'abundant sometimes' as in limited abundance, like a breast is abundant with milk sometimes.

His mothers name is Thetis.

It's said that farming came into Spain from Anatolia through Thessaly. I do not think links as ancient as that should be discarded as beginnings of mythical stories.

Alexanders family was big into Gods, he was born of Zeus they say - his mother Olympia from Epirus (an ancient Achilles area) was known to be a snake handler and Zeus is said to have copulated with her in snake form. This is obviously embellished but you can see how Macedonians took all this on board as part of their culture, especially from his mothers side. Alexander said he was a relative to Achilles through his mother.

Here's a pic of a yew tree, in England.

post-110550-0-73758400-1334376676_thumb.

A Baskhort CoA.

post-110550-0-97385000-1334377449_thumb.

post-110550-0-79048200-1334377485_thumb.

Burzenland is in Romania.

post-110550-0-18804700-1334377617_thumb.

Stainglass window England.

post-110550-0-94208600-1334377736_thumb.

Back to the pines.

post-110550-0-62558700-1334377798_thumb.

This may tie to Bosnian pyramids.

post-110550-0-16035700-1334377956_thumb.

Turkey Asena she-wolf goddess. Similar to Romulus and Remus story, as abandoned baby.

post-110550-0-75089700-1334378021_thumb.

I'll have to back into King Oberon and find my data. In the meantime, this should assist somewhat on several locations.

Does anyone care to re-define the name Avebury henge yet. This can get relentless. It is built on Avenues, although Aubrey and Oberon will tell the same story perhaps. Very difficult to ascertain, so I'm holding out yet, before I make up my mind, of which, I'm not in a big hurry to have to decide, right away.

I think were yet making progress, and some factors I think are now coming to light on my own research. Only to state, I think my GGG concept has merit. See if these images helps with our questions. Again, I keep this simple, Sky God, shamans, blacksmiths, and dogs and wolves. The problem is thinking like ancient people.

One day I said to myself, the wolf roams far. All too true. Thank for the insight, GGG guy.

Not sure about those Bosnian Pyramids... but it got me to thinking about the Pyramid of Giza - the Pyramid of the people.

Maybe it to is a 'sky rock' - a rock, or 'tree' that took you to the sky - which is what the Great Pyramid basically did - shot your spirit out to the stars.

The pine, the Christams tree, the cross, the double headed axe, the pyramids - may all really represent sky crags/rocks - World Trees.

The wolf I'm at odds with in some of my ideas but no matter, all good info. Something will fall into place.

This symbolic image of the wolf is often found in the mythic lore of the Turkish and Mongolian peoples native to the steppe regions North of the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, and that the "Scythians" from whom they arose transmitted much of the mythological archetypes prevalent throughout much of European and Asian folklore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_in_folklore,_religion_and_mythology

Those Scythians are everywhere.

Avebury - it might not hold many clues in the name, possibly named by English, bury is common ending of names, Shaftsbury, Canterbury, etc

Avenue might be the prefix. Couldn't be overly sure on that one.

Edited by The Puzzler

Off track a bit, I'm thinking about Hittites after watching a DVD on them today.

It came to mind that the Aryans who entered India might be Hittites. Chariots and IE language, also Dionysus is mentioned as travelling to India with Heracles, Dionysus is often said to be in Anatolia, with his foster mother Cybele.

It also came to mind that Hittites backed the Mycenaean world financially, built Mycenae after integrating into Greece as people of Zeus and Hera, they built the Lion's Gate. When the Hittite world crashed, the Mycenaean world crashed.

Funny enough, someone is onto it, with a Biblical slant, nevertheless:

This mixed race was known as Hittites. The Indian Aryans are the descendants of Hittites. They were warriors and had no written language. They were good at storytelling and worshipped the forces of nature. They retained there stories and ideals through songs and ballads. During the invasion of Canaan by Israel under Commander Joshua, these Hittites were forced to move out of their land. This is exactly the time (around 1300 BC) when Aryan migration to India took place.

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/articles/emergence/2.htm

I'd been thinking about Hittites being Mycenaeans (of Mycenae) for a while now.

The pyramid is the simple question. My GGG concept stems from this as Siberian Tengranism. Tengra lives at the top of mountains, by his choice, where water is his blood, and as an Earth god, he would fit the Tree of Life as a triad of Upper World Gods (above the Aether, or Universe prime god), Earth God/s, then the Underworld god/s. Also to include messenger gods as the go-between for mortals to interact within this trinity - if you will. This tree would be on the shaman tambourine. I see all pyramids within this pantheon, and the earliest ones are actually modified mountains, as the Bosnian type would express. The Giza variety would be of the later, large block variety.

Anything placed on top of a mountain, or hill, I see this way. Could be pyramids, ring-stones, alters, etc. Note that tambourines were used in Egyptian pyramids. Their Tree of Life is placed on the tambourine, because this is a priestly shaman, people would definitely take notice, and thus mimic what they learned, or, think that they learned, which is still a debate in religions today.

Anyway, this I see as fundamental to both mountains and pyramids, in my opinion. The question is really, if true, where did the concept arise, and who, or what tribe could this be attributed to, and where on the global map would this tribe be, when the cave man came to this realization of his or her cosmic makeup. I attribute this to Hyperboreans, where man was derived from clay (an Earth bound mortal), but that also had an everlasting internal "soul", thus starts the deity of the Universe, or the keeper of my soul, that imparted this to me when I was born. God is part of ones cosmic existence, intimately entangled therein. We would be at gods "almighty" mercy as a human.

In Egypt, if I have this correct, your born with your "ka" or spirit/soul, and when you die, you meet your ka, or spirit/soul. To mean, at death, you reallize you own spirit, but this is hidden and masked from you while alive, as a mortal human. I think this would mean, while alive, you sense you soul, but can't interact much with it. Whe a shaman looks into a mirror, he would see through jis third eye, or peer into this inner soul, which we all have in this pantheon. Therein would translate into the "seeing mountain", and third eye concepts.

This strongly suggest to me two things. Siberian shamans fits this pedigree, and they also would have the ability to read the future. I use the term Dali Lama, as I think most of us understand that this aspect is something your born with, and is considered "a gift of god". You can't practice a lot, and learn this. Even a monk in a monestery, that spends their whole life there, wouldn't be able to qualify as a genuine Dali Lama, or I would call a shaman. I believe I can show this aspect in connecting Siberia to India, and envelope Hyperboreans into this event time line at very early times. I don't want to over-speculate, but this would be fundamental. I see the god-mountain as first, then the other linkable derivations from this base line.

My question is, did Hyperboreans actually devise these two basic concepts in the ancient world? Did all of the evolution of Modern Humans shape from these basic building blocks, due to the fact, somehow this was dispersed globally, or nearly so. This would be within my GGG concept, the heart of my Buryan-Siberian connections. Difficult to accept, because we don't really see Siberians in this context. We don't understand these people as Westerners. That's just my gut feel, and is one reason I'm attempting to bring this into some of the forums. I think this takes quite a bit of time for people to fully reconcile all of the ins and outs, then decide whether or not this has merit, or, as a minimum, enough propensity to enable such structures as pyramids to be distributed globally, yet have this same underlying pantheon of their gods. This would be my premise.

I think your on the the correct path Puzzler, so I thought i would realign my tribal concept a bit.

The amber route seems to always show its face. I contend we need an "Amber Age" time line, but in light of the common Vistula River route, or the more Eastern Rivers, over to the Volga, to connect to the Baltic regions, said source for ancient amber, in general. These maps will allow for a Danube River route, to Prauge Bohemia, then North through Germany, and then to the Baltic Sea, but by a more Western Baltic avenue. Trade isn't restricted to just amber either.

post-110550-0-17779300-1334417734_thumb.

post-110550-0-10783100-1334417788_thumb.

I think Berlin may be marshes as you previously descried. I may be able to encompass the name Berlin, Germany, and also Beijing under the same umbrella. Who would believe me? Zeus's alter is in Berlin.

post-110550-0-33450900-1334418105_thumb.

I believe it was the German archaeologist that sirst excavated Pergamon, south of Lydia, and then replicate Zeus's alter from the few actual parts of the alter found in Turkey, on site. So this is truly a replica, but has real parts from the orginal one in Anatolia. The phot puts this into scope of things. Now isn't Zeus Hyperborean? Also, Alexanders paternal side was with Egyptian Ra.

The word Atlas can be Romanian Oltean, and the Olt River. Here is where we find Buridava. Can a Norse god Buri stem from here, and if so, could he follow the maps I attached to the west Baltic, or would he use Eastern Baltic rivers, such as the Volga. Along with this comes this witch, called a Volva, in Russian context, wicca in England.

Here's a couple of witch pics.

post-110550-0-40831800-1334419296_thumb.

post-110550-0-55263700-1334418988_thumb.

My sister once said she thought we were Minoan. The Slavic type lightning or thunder mark makes sense, but I have reservations on such symbols. I tend to agree with your analysis though Puzzler, and may be able to support this. Recall that Proteus is also connected to the "Old Man of the Sea", and apparently the Basque use this term as well, connected to that Columbus Vs. Basque Cubarra voyage/s.

I need a new link to attach this, because this memory is full, GGG guy.

Funny enough, someone is onto it, with a Biblical slant, nevertheless:

This mixed race was known as Hittites. The Indian Aryans are the descendants of Hittites. They were warriors and had no written language. They were good at storytelling and worshipped the forces of nature. They retained there stories and ideals through songs and ballads. During the invasion of Canaan by Israel under Commander Joshua, these Hittites were forced to move out of their land. This is exactly the time (around 1300 BC) when Aryan migration to India took place.

http://www.acns.com/~mm9n/articles/emergence/2.htm

I'd been thinking about Hittites being Mycenaeans (of Mycenae) for a while now.

If there was an "invasion of Canaan by the Israelites", then this would have some relevance. But seeing as the Israelites were Canaanites and the 'invasion' was actually an internal uprising, then I suggest we can dismiss the biblical "wish-list" forthwith. Add to this that Canaan was not the homeland of the Hittites (who lived further north and east in Anatolia), for the final nail in the coffin for this melange of ideas.

Edited by Leonardo

Here is the picture.

post-110550-0-93911400-1334419955_thumb.

For the Stairway to Heaven. I'll add some Romanian images.

post-110550-0-46101600-1334420106_thumb.

post-110550-0-78709400-1334420180_thumb.

post-110550-0-65636200-1334420219_thumb.

This mountain is called Probejenia, and in Serbian is Budin, or Budini, which I claim is both Buddha, and Odin, traceable to Sakastan Iran, home of Buddha, a Sakastan prince, and Zeus is on Sakastan coins, in his familiar pose on the throne as Puzzler showed in runic character form, attached herein. I think you can make the case for this character, in my opinion.

See if this may help with definitions. Thanks again fir those thunder marks. This is the first tenative use I've seen for these symbols, so far. Its like I say, soft data you keep close by, because it will show up again, and then one has a lead to pursue. Its easier to do this, then to dream up possible or logical senario so one can attempt tp fit things which are foreign to ones knowledge. I think my global model helps, because its not locational concentric. However, there are many competing global models, especially for language models, so one needs to be diligent none-the-less. Thanks, GGG guy.

If there was an "invasion of Canaan by the Israelites", then this would have some relevance. But seeing as the Israelites were Canaanites and the 'invasion' was actually an internal uprising, then I suggest we can dismiss the biblical "wish-list" forthwith. Add to this that Canaan was not the homeland of the Hittites (who lived further north and east in Anatolia), for the final nail in the coffin for this melange of ideas.

And just to add another nail or two to Leonardo's post, the Hittite Empire didn't end until c.1180 BC and they DID have their own written language. Also that genetics has shown that there was no "Aryan Invasion" and therefore no need for a Hittite (or other groups) appearance in India.

cormac

And just to add another nail or two to Leonardo's post, the Hittite Empire didn't end until c.1180 BC and they DID have their own written language. Also that genetics has shown that there was no "Aryan Invasion" and therefore no need for a Hittite (or other groups) appearance in India.

cormac

:tu:

The more nails the better, cormac. Else, like some scabrous undead thing, the corpse of "fringedom" will rise again!

OK, that's all fair enough if you like, the idea still remains - whether they left Anatolia or Mars, the Hittites were part of the Aryan invasion/migration/have a cup of tea with them, whatever, however they entered, that is my opinion for now.

:tu:

The more nails the better, cormac. Else, like some scabrous undead thing, the corpse of "fringedom" will rise again!

So you think it's absolutely impossible that Hittites were part of an entrance into India?

cormac

In addition, the Aryans in the Middle East, most notably the Hittites, have now been found to have been in that region at least as early as 2200 BC, wherein they are already mentioned in Sumerian literature. In fact they derived their script from that of the third dynasty of Sumeria.

http://www.indiaforum.org/india/hinduism/aryan/page22.html

I think it could be a possibility, in thier chariots, some sources place Hittites as migrating out from the Maykop culture. When I watch the DVD which recreated their temples and walls, of massive thickness, and other things about them, it seems they were a HUGE culture, the ruins are massive, these people were really powerful and imo had the abilities and fit the mould of the people who entered India. Ramesses didn't win anything - the Hittites held their own against the most powerful nations of all in their time.

As I said, I believe their downfall may have been what generated the 'dark ages' at the end of Mycenaean culture - it makes aot of sense of you think about it - they were supplying everyone with horses and backing of all kinds, when they fell, it would only be logical thier allies would crumble if they weren't strong enough to support themselves, Mycenaean Greece had nothing to offer to sustain itself.

In addition, the Aryans in the Middle East, most notably the Hittites, have now been found to have been in that region at least as early as 2200 BC, wherein they are already mentioned in Sumerian literature. In fact they derived their script from that of the third dynasty of Sumeria.

I think it could be a possibility, in thier chariots, some sources place Hittites as migrating out from the Maykop culture. When I watch the DVD which recreated their temples and walls, of massive thickness, and other things about them, it seems they were a HUGE culture, the ruins are massive, these people were really powerful and imo had the abilities and fit the mould of the people who entered India. Ramesses didn't win anything - the Hittites held their own against the most powerful nations of all in their time.

As I said, I believe their downfall may have been what generated the 'dark ages' at the end of Mycenaean culture - it makes aot of sense of you think about it - they were supplying everyone with horses and backing of all kinds, when they fell, it would only be logical thier allies would crumble if they weren't strong enough to support themselves, Mycenaean Greece had nothing to offer to sustain itself.

Your own link runs contrary to your idea in this matter, to whit:

The New Model of ancient India that has emerged from the collapse of the Aryan invasion theory is that of an indigenous development of civilization in ancient India from the Mehrgarh site of 6500 BC. The people in this tradition are the same basic ethnic groups as in India today, with their same basic types of languages Indo-European and Dravidian. There is a progressive process of the domestication of animals, particularly cattle, the development of agriculture, beginning with barley and then later wheat and rice, and the use of metal, beginning with copper and culminating in iron, along with the development villages and towns. Later Harappan (Sarasvati) civilization 3100-1900 BC shows massive cities, complex agriculture and metallurgy, sophistication of arts and crafts, and precision in weights and measures. This Sarasvati civilization was a center of trading and for the diffusion of civilization throughout south and west Asia, which often dominated the Mesopotamian region.

Post-Harappan civilization 1900-1000 BC shows the abandonment of the Harappan towns owing to ecological and river changes but without a real break in the continuity of the culture. There is a decentralization and relocation in which the same basic agricultural and artistic traditions continue, along with a few significant urban sites like Dwaraka. This gradually develops into the Gangetic civilization of the first millennium BC, which is the classical civilization of ancient India, which retains its memory of its oRigin in the Sarasvati region through the Vedas.

The New Model

cormac

Buren in Dutch apparently means neighbours.

I know Frisian quite well and know that bur in Frisian also means neighbours.

bð-r 50 und häufiger?, afries., st. M. (a): nhd. Bauer (M.) (1), Nachbar,

Mitbewohner, Dorfgenosse, Bürger?; ne. neighbour (M.), farmer, citizen?

http://www.koeblergerhard.de/germanistischewoerterbuecher/altfriesischeswoerterbuch/afries-B.pdf

That's what I posted a month or so ago,...as a joke.

Puzz, this thread is going nowhere.

All you and GGG do is play with words that have the letters -B- and -R- in them, and in that order.

It is an 'unexplained mystery' to me that anyone can take this seriously.

That's what I posted a month or so ago,...as a joke.

Puzz, this thread is going nowhere.

All you and GGG do is play with words that have the letters -B- and -R- in them, and in that order.

It is an 'unexplained mystery' to me that anyone can take this seriously.

Well, that's OK, my aim in this thread is not really what GGG is doing, it's Basque language is in areas of Troy - but I'm sharing his interest as well - both my paternal and my mothers maiden names are B-R names, so maybe it goes deeper for me. I really don't care what anyone thinks, you should know that by now. :innocent:

It's actually the most common sense answer that Hittites were not only a branch of Mycenaeans but financed them and also made expeditions east to areas of India, with their pointy hat priests, taking Zeus and Hera as well as IE language and genes all over the place.

Just reading more now, in a book, it says 'hawk nosed Indo Europeans' - another trait I have - an aquiline nose - a Roman nose as such, because Romans were also a Hittite line.

Your own link runs contrary to your idea in this matter, to whit:

The New Model

cormac

I'm more of an 'old model' kind of gal.

The Indo-European Kassites of the ancient Middle East worshipped Vedic Gods like Surya and the Maruts, as well as one named Himalaya. The Hittites and Mittani signed a treaty with the name of the Vedic Gods - Indra, Mitra, Varuna and Nasatyas - around 1400 BC. The Hittites have a treatise on chariot racing written in almost pure Sanskrit. The Indo-Europeans of the ancient Middle East spoke Indo-Aryan, not Indo-Iranian languages and thereby show a Vedic culture in that region of the world as well.(*42) This shows that Vedic culture extended from India to Anatolia by 2000 BC.

It might not have been an invasion as I said, maybe just friendly relations - point being, I think the Hittites were part of it, whether earlier in time that we know them as 'Hittites', connected with the Mitanni as well.

I don't have time really to pursue that angle that much for now, it was more the Hittite connection to Mycenaeans I saw that interested me more.

Edited by The Puzzler

So you think it's absolutely impossible that Hittites were part of an entrance into India?

My opinion is there is no evidence for the Hittite empire of the mid-12th century BCE 'dispersing' anywhere. There is evidence for a collapse (or partial collapse) of that empire, but that does not suggest we have to presume a diaspora based on that collapse.

My opinion is also there is even less evidence of an 'Aryan invasion' of the Indian subcontinent, as there is an 'Israelite invasion' of Canaan. At least in the archaeology of the ancient Levant we can find indications of the Israelites in conflict with the other indigenous Canaanites. In the archaeology of the subcontinent we find no such evidence for any "Aryan conflict".

Both the Israelites and the "Aryans" were indigenous to the regions they have, in some circles, been portrayed as invading. The Israelites as an individual tribe of Canaanites and the "Aryans" as either a similar ethnic entity, or even a social entity (i.e. a social class).

Edited by Leonardo

My opinion is there is no evidence for the Hittite empire of the mid-12th century BCE 'dispersing' anywhere. There is evidence for a collapse (or partial collapse) of that empire, but that does not suggest we have to presume a diaspora based on that collapse.

My opinion is also there is even less evidence of an 'Aryan invasion' of the Indian subcontinent, as there is an 'Israelite invasion' of Canaan. At least in the archaeology of the ancient Levant we can find indications of the Israelites in conflict with the other indigenous Canaanites. In the archaeology of the subcontinent we find no such evidence for any "Aryan conflict".

Both the Israelites and the "Aryans" were indigenous to the regions they have, in some circles, been portrayed as invading. The Israelites as an individual tribe of Canaanites and the "Aryans" as either a similar ethnic entity, or even a social entity (i.e. a social class).

First paragraph - fair enough - I propose it was prior to their collapse.

2nd. OK, no invasion, more an entrance of some kind, through trade or such.

3rd. Aryans were Medes and the like. They were worshippers of Hindu deities.

The English word "Aryan" is borrowed from the Sanskrit word ārya meaning 'Noble';[1] it was used initially as a national name to designate the worshippers of the Hindu deities and especially Indra according to Brahmanical principles (performance of sacrifice, Yajna).[1][12] The Zend airya 'venerable' and Old Persian ariya are also considered as national names.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arya

The Hittites and Mittani signed a treaty with the name of the Vedic Gods - Indra, Mitra, Varuna and Nasatyas - around 1400 BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hittites

Hittites, Mitanni, Aryan Medians, which included Magi - then Persians - all connected to the origin of worshipping Vedic Gods - some connection had been made.

Anyway, I'll consider it all some more, right now, it's a bit off topic, so I'll get back on track.

Spell edit.

Edited by The Puzzler

cormac

Funny how their end co-incides with the destruction of Troy.

Those who believe that the stories of the Trojan War are derived from a specific historical conflict usually date it to the 12th or 11th centuries BC, often preferring the dates given by Eratosthenes, 1194–1184 BC, which roughly corresponds with archaeological evidence of a catastrophic burning of Troy VIIa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_War

From what I know they used Babylonian or Akkadian cuneiform script to write in their own language, but had no written language of their own.

I don't think they would have left much genetic material there, I don't see them as becoming part of the landscape. As I understand it, very little Roman dna is in the British, even though they were there for 400 years.

I'm more of an 'old model' kind of gal.

Considering that the 'old model' is defunct, you're pretty much beating a dead horse.

From what I know they used Babylonian or Akkadian cuneiform script to write in their own language, but had no written language of their own.

They adopted the cuneiform script AS their written language and used it for over 500 years. Their spoken language was Anatolian in origin, but not the same as the Luwian evidenced in Troy. None of which can be used to support a migration from Anatolia to India.

cormac

Considering that the 'old model' is defunct, you're pretty much beating a dead horse.

They adopted the cuneiform script AS their written language and used it for over 500 years. Their spoken language was Anatolian in origin, but not the same as the Luwian evidenced in Troy. None of which can be used to support a migration from Anatolia to India.

cormac

lol maybe. I don't see it as defunct as it might seem.

I was adding that in regards to you saying they didn't have their own written language - in a way they did, in a way they didn't - it seems they had no alphabet of their own or original writing system, a bit like the Greeks, who took on a different alphabet and wrote it according to their own speech.

That's why they could easily read all the texts found at Hattusa, they were written in cuneiform. Mute point anyway, moving on.

I was adding that in regards to you saying they didn't have their own written language...

I never made that claim. That was actually your doing as you said:

What I said was:

They adopted the cuneiform script AS their written language...

That the cuneiform script wasn't indigenous to the Hittites is irrelevant to the fact that they adopted it and made it their own for several centuries. Which runs counter to your previous link.

Edit to add: If you'd have said that they has no indigenous written language then we would be in agreement, however you didn't. There is a distinction.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt