Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

advice with something or someone

meandbre

I am new to the forums, but not so new to the unexplained world. I've seen ghosts, sensed things, know things. But I need some advice because this time it's not me, it's my 10yo daughter.

just over 12 months ago, she started having trouble getting to sleep. She would not go to bed, unless the room light was on and I had the tv on in the loungeroom. I just thought she was at that age and having trouble at school.

The past 2 months though, things have changed. She still will not sleep without the light on, but now she will not sleep unless someone is in the room with her. 3 weeks ago, she had been laying in bed watching tv and let out a really horrific scream. I went in and she was as white as a sheet. Shaking. She was petrified. She said something grabbed her arm and tried to pull her out of the bed. Last night, she came out of her room, asking who was taking the garbage bins out to the street. Me and my husband were both on the lounge and could actually see the bins through the glass doors. They were still there. Then later that night, another freaked out scream. This time she had layed down on our bed as she couldn't sleep. She had that same petrified look on her face and went on to tell us that something had pushed her in the stomach. We eventually got her to sleep on the lounge with us. For the first time in a long time, I can't sense anything but I know something is there. My keys, mobile phone and other things go missing for hours on end. It will be the middle of the night and you will hear walking up the hallway and occasionally the lights come on. I can handle that type of thing, but I can't handle my daughter being petrified to be alone in the house.

Any ideas on what to do? I could really do with some.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hazzard

• CakeOrDeath

• ParanormallyJustARedNeck

• meandbre

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there, meandbre.

There are probably many things that can explain what you just told us about your situation at home.

Your little girl being afraid of the dark and having bad dreams, stuff that goes missing, etc... Im sure that you have thought about each end every possible mundane explanation to these "phenomenon" before even considering Ghosts and Demons?

You say that you are really "into" this stuff,... Could it be that you have introduced this to you 10 year old child in some way, and she is now getting as "tuned in" as you are?

Google Confirmation Bias,... And dont worry, Im certain you little girl will eventually snap out of it.

Edited by Hazzard

Hi,

I'm not ready to be as dismissive as hazzard. But I will ask this. If you are genuinely concerned for your child's safety do these 3 things and then report back.

1. get some low cost survelience cameras or even a decent digital camcorder with some frames per second options. (less than $150 for a "cheap" surveilence system with 2 cameras and 250gig dvr, certainly worth your childs safety/peace of mind.)

2. position the cameras in her room and hall, don't even have to tell her about it, put them on a shelf or above the door in the hall.

3. leave a hall light and decent night light on.

Results - only two possible outcomes. The hauntings will mysteriously stop. Or you will be the first person to capture actual paranormal activity. Go right to your local university with this evidence unedited. They will help investigate and you will be WORLD FAMOUS.

Okay, I don't wanna step on any toes here as I'm brand new myself but I have to disagree with the last post as I think the is a TON of good paranormal evidence out there that doesn't get the credit it deserves and all to often people brush it off as a hoax or their imagination.

Now that I'm off my soap box I would simply try talking to whom or whatever it is and either telling it to move on to the other side or simply tell it to leave your daughter alone, you should have your daughter do this too and hey who knows if it is all in her head it can't hurt.

Good Lord, people, are you listening to what your saying! :lol:

I was with you, CakeOrDeath, all the way to the "2. position the cameras in her room and hall, don't even have to tell her about it" and leaving the light on part. I was a little surprised when I read the Results - only two possible.... The hauntings will mysteriously stop. Or you will be the first person to capture actual paranormal activity.

None of the two would have made my list.

Recording of a stalker with a copy of your keys, would have been on my top 20 list.

Edited by Hazzard

Oh yikes hazzard!

That's far more frightening, but actually a really good observation. I hope the OP reads your post. See that's why I am still a novice skeptic rofl.

That's a far more obvious possibilty and far more serious. Good point. OP do you have an alarm? Do you have close neighbors or family who possibly have access to your home? Terrible thought, but unlike "ghosts" these things can and DO happen. :unsure:

Not to change the topic,

But PLEASE send me a link or information about any evidence you have. Remember evidence has to meet certain basic standards to be such. But I mean this whole heartedly I am always eager to read new cases and look at new evidence.

So far there is only one ghost case that to me seems to have some weight, the one Sakari pointed out to me, they made a movie called the "entity" based on the accounts.

It's far from definitive, but certainly the best documented case I have ever seen.

So far there is only one ghost case that to me seems to have some weight, the one Sakari pointed out to me, they made a movie called the "entity" based on the accounts.

It's far from definitive, but certainly the best documented case I have ever seen.

To me, that says plenty about this case.

Like most of this paranormal stuff the evidence for it is weak, to say the least.

Not to change the topic,

But PLEASE send me a link or information about any evidence you have. Remember evidence has to meet certain basic standards to be such. But I mean this whole heartedly I am always eager to read new cases and look at new evidence.

I have myself personally collected EVP's some very clear, some not so clear of voices with no explanation other than paranormal, without the 'aid' of white noise or anything like that with only my wife and myself present if I can figure out how to get them online and post them I will. As for submitting them or any evidence for that matter to a university, what's the point it would only be shunned no matter how good the quality becuase it doesn't fit in the neat little box of modern science(which isn't really that neat when you stop and think about it)

The problem with 'evidence' is that there are different kinds, for example 'scientific' evidence, which I assume you're refering too, you have to be able to have repeated results in a laboratory like setting and assuming a ghost or spirit is an intelligent being you cannot obtain that.

On the other hand there is circumstantial evidence, evidence admissable to a court of law that could prove beyond a shadow of doubt to a jury someone's guilt or innocents, but that evidence would not hold up to scientific inquiry.

Like my EVP's, I was there and they are definetly voices but seeing as you weren't privy to the circumstances surround their capture that automatically throws out their validity in any scientific court.....sigh

I aopologize for the rant but honestly I'm just tired of the pessimistic blah blah blah, let's discover everything by trying to disprove everything midset of today and I wonder what happened to the optimistic hope of discovery for discovery sake.

I'm a firm believer that you'll find evidence to support your views no matter what side of the isle your on, whether it's proving or disproving anything you can find something to support it and I feel that's a testimate to the creative power of the mind.....

I have myself personally collected EVP's some very clear, some not so clear of voices with no explanation other than paranormal, without the 'aid' of white noise or anything like that with only my wife and myself present if I can figure out how to get them online and post them I will. As for submitting them or any evidence for that matter to a university, what's the point it would only be shunned no matter how good the quality becuase it doesn't fit in the neat little box of modern science(which isn't really that neat when you stop and think about it)

The problem with 'evidence' is that there are different kinds, for example 'scientific' evidence, which I assume you're refering too, you have to be able to have repeated results in a laboratory like setting and assuming a ghost or spirit is an intelligent being you cannot obtain that.

On the other hand there is circumstantial evidence, evidence admissable to a court of law that could prove beyond a shadow of doubt to a jury someone's guilt or innocents, but that evidence would not hold up to scientific inquiry.

Like my EVP's, I was there and they are definetly voices but seeing as you weren't privy to the circumstances surround their capture that automatically throws out their validity in any scientific court.....sigh

I aopologize for the rant but honestly I'm just tired of the pessimistic blah blah blah, let's discover everything by trying to disprove everything midset of today and I wonder what happened to the optimistic hope of discovery for discovery sake.

I'm a firm believer that you'll find evidence to support your views no matter what side of the isle your on, whether it's proving or disproving anything you can find something to support it and I feel that's a testimate to the creative power of the mind.....

As Im pretty sure that you would call yourself an "open minded" person, given what you have just told us, you wont have any problems at looking at the other side of the coin, would you?

From Abracadabra to Zombies: Skeptic's Dictionary... http://www.skepdic.com/

As Im pretty sure that you would call yourself an "open minded" person, given what you have just told us, you wont have any problems at looking at the other side of the coin, would you?

From Abracadabra to Zombies: Skeptic's Dictionary... http://www.skepdic.com/

Not at all, and I understand the value of arguing both sides, it just seems like the side of 'skepticism'(for lack of a term) automatically has more weight to it's argument than the other side when in fact both sides have equally valid points and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. That being said however the more I read and research the more I wholeheartedly believe there isn't one universal truth and that real truth is subejective to one's own experience.

Not at all, and I understand the value of arguing both sides, it just seems like the side of 'skepticism'(for lack of a term) automatically has more weight to it's argument than the other side when in fact both sides have equally valid points and the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. That being said however the more I read and research the more I wholeheartedly believe there isn't one universal truth and that real truth is subejective to one's own experience.

Being a believer and slinger of the paranormal is never an easy thing,... as I see it, the best they can do is appeal to our belief and faith based part of the brain.

Because that is all we have here - An opinion on what some of there unexplained phenomenon might represent.

Here's where I think your approach is wrong. If you KEEP getting these EVP, be smart. Go to the science department and say, would you like to take part in an experiment. I have been experiencing some very odd auditory sounds, and I would like to have an independant source verify the sounds and try to pinpoint their origins. Don't tell them its EVPs or ghosts.

Then invite them to come out and if you aren't lying...they should hear/record (with better equipment mind you) the same things you are. BOOM you are world famous....

Try it. Can't hurt.

Here's where I think your approach is wrong. If you KEEP getting these EVP, be smart. Go to the science department and say, would you like to take part in an experiment. I have been experiencing some very odd auditory sounds, and I would like to have an independant source verify the sounds and try to pinpoint their origins. Don't tell them its EVPs or ghosts.

Then invite them to come out and if you aren't lying...they should hear/record (with better equipment mind you) the same things you are. BOOM you are world famous....

Try it. Can't hurt.

Cant hurt, at best we are talking 1000 000 bucks!

Scientists put psychic's paranormal claims to the test.

Professional medium Patricia Putt was last week subjected to a rigorous scientific test of her powers as the first stage of her bid to claim a $1m prize from the James Randi Educational Foundation.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/may/12/psychic-claims-james-randi-paranormal

I wish all these guys with "superpowers" would do the same. Who knows, maybe one day we will find someone/something that will pass scientific

scrutiny?

Honestly Hazzard I would love to be wrong, that's where these people get us (me anyway) wrong. It would be absolutely amazing to find out there is something else, a form of life or energy "alien" to our current understanding.

But alas, even with all of these accounts and people who can "summon shadow people" they can never seem to do it when the monies on the line.

ok, look, i will just clarify something. My kids have never been told anything about the unexplained. She is 10, if she has learned anything of the unexplained then she would have researched it herself on the net. She is 10 and not a 5yo afterall.

I will try the camera idea.

I came here to try and get some ideas on what is causing this and what to do. And as I am quite open to the unexplained explanation, I am actually glad to hear some advice from the skeptics. As you have suggested Hazzard, I have actually considered all possibilities relating to these things. For example I have wondered if my short term memory has crashed on me causing mere forgetfulness (I am only 32 btw)....I have wondered about if she has watched something on the net or her friends at school have shown a clip from youtube, or have told ghost stories and scared the crap out of her. There are a number of scientific views that may or may not make sense. All I can say for certain is that she is PETRIFIED. I want advice, I want suggestions, and just because I am a believer doesn't mean I am turning this into something I believe. I want to believe there is a factual reason behind this, but so far I cannot find one. You other members may not believe in this type of thing, that is your choice, your belief. I haven't come on here insulting your views. If you don't believe, fine, I am open for ideas on finding the cause. I just want to help my daughter.

ok, look, i will just clarify something. My kids have never been told anything about the unexplained. She is 10, if she has learned anything of the unexplained then she would have researched it herself on the net. She is 10 and not a 5yo afterall.

I will try the camera idea.

I came here to try and get some ideas on what is causing this and what to do. And as I am quite open to the unexplained explanation, I am actually glad to hear some advice from the skeptics. As you have suggested Hazzard, I have actually considered all possibilities relating to these things. For example I have wondered if my short term memory has crashed on me causing mere forgetfulness (I am only 32 btw)....I have wondered about if she has watched something on the net or her friends at school have shown a clip from youtube, or have told ghost stories and scared the crap out of her. There are a number of scientific views that may or may not make sense. All I can say for certain is that she is PETRIFIED. I want advice, I want suggestions, and just because I am a believer doesn't mean I am turning this into something I believe. I want to believe there is a factual reason behind this, but so far I cannot find one. You other members may not believe in this type of thing, that is your choice, your belief. I haven't come on here insulting your views. If you don't believe, fine, I am open for ideas on finding the cause. I just want to help my daughter.

Meandbre,

Sorry to hear about your situation. That always rough with the little ones being scared. Have you spoken with your daughter about what's going on in her life? Certain things you have mentioned set all the red alert bells and whistles going in my head. The sudden sleeping issues, the nightmares, the feeling of being touched; these are all indicative of abuse in some way. Has her behavior outside of sleeping changed recently, or has she regressed to behaviors she had previously stopped?

My advice would be to get her in to see your family doctor. He/she might prescribe a sleep study and/or recommend a good child therapist.

Not to discount what you're saying, but she's at the perfect age to experience sleep issues including night terrors and sleep walking.

Ya OP, in all seriousness, my first priority at this point would be "proving" Hazzard's frightening theory wrong, make sure no one has access to your home or daughter. We can theorize about other stuff later, but that is a real and scary possibility.

I also agree with what another poster said, behavior indicative of "abuse" could be a bully at school, a neighborhood person, family member, anyone, and "abuse" is a broad term. But someone could be making her uncomfortable and it is causing these issues.

Either way, I hope things work out for you.