Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists check out egg-laying rooster

Still Waters

Chinese scientists are investigating a bizarre case in which a cockerel apparently started laying eggs after all the hens were eaten.

The birds owner Huang Li, 47, kept the rooster together with seven hens on his small farm at Chumiao village, Mengcheng city, in central China's Anhui province.

He said that his family had been gradually eating the chickens over winter until only the rooster was left - and he was amazed when he went into the cage the next day to discover an egg.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _Only

• ohio state buckeyes

• ColoradoParanormal

• Biodemon

I'm pretty curious to see the results of their test. My money is on it being a hen all along that just acted like a rooster.

Can Chickens Really Change Gender?

The rooster was probably laying eggs its whole life. The owners just didn't realize until the hens were gone. Not like it suddenly morphed when all the hens were gone.

Come on, Chinese scientists.

Edited by Jerry Only

why do we never get to see the results of these scientific investigations? Last time they were analizing some yeti hair for dna. whatever happened there?

well... if it looks like a rooster, and talks like a rooster, but lays an egg.. it ain't a rooster•

It's always China lol .... In the past six months there has been a Lamb that gave birth to a "Dog," The kid who sees in the Dark, This and fill in if I've left some out. I'm thinking I did.

If this kind of stuff is happening in China, it may perhaps be all the pollution they have there, amongst other things. o.o

As I linked above:

The chromosomes that normally control the physical differences between male and female are fixed at the moment of fertilisation and cannot change. But the sex chromosomes work by coding for enzymes that affect the bird’s development in the egg and during its life. These enzymes are sensitive to temperature and if eggs fertilised with male chromosomes are cooled by a few degrees for three days after laying, the relative activity of the sex hormones will favour development of female characteristics. (In reptiles, temperature is entirely responsible for determining sex.) In about 10 per cent of cases, this cooling will produce a chicken with a fully functioning and reproductively fertile female body-type; even though the chicken is genetically male.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty curious to see the results of their test. My money is on it being a hen all along that just acted like a rooster.

I agree, it may have not been a rooster to begin with.

When I was a kid, my family had chooks, all of them were hens. One of the more dominant hens took on the role of the rooster, crowing every morning and even trying to mate with the rest of the hens. After a while it even started to look more like a rooster than a hen. It was still a hen, it still had the ability to lay eggs although it didn't lay eggs that often but it just took on the role of a rooster in the absence of a real rooster.

This chook was probably a hen to begin with and just took on the role of a rooster. Maybe it is possible that it really was a rooster that layed an egg but I think that it is more likely that it was a hen to begin with.