Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost of an individual hung in the woods?

Skinwalkers Haunted Woods 2005

Yesterday evening, while I was walking on a dirt path through the woods, I snapped several pictures. This one in particular was disturbing. It appears to be a figure hung from a tree. After analyzing the transparent white "dress/cloth/material", I just could not dismiss it or the "face" as the bark of an ascending tree.

The transparency as well as the potential "rope" around the "figure's" neck has stumped me.

Share your thoughts!

post-20865-0-93456600-1329031245_thumb.j

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skinwalkers Haunted Woods 2005

• Sakari

• vitruvian12

• nyuk

Looks like a tree to me.

Why don't you go back there and take some more photos - make sure you get some up close this time.

I'd have to see more pics from the same position to make a judgement, it's a good idea if you can set your camera to take multiple photos at once, that way you can see if an image appears in any other photos or just the one, if it lingers over several photos it's probably not a haunting JMHO

My thoughts are..

1. You were obviously looking for interesting stuff in images with a lot of detail, and then were surprised to find something?

2. Pareidolia. Show this image to ten random ordinary folk and I would be surprised if any of them saw anything remotely odd. I certainly don't - you were shooting into the light and there was lots of stuff making little patterns and shapes.

As Rafterman said, go back and find this identical location - after all, you have an image of it so it won't be difficult to find.. Then shoot the same scene from the same location, same time of day. Then move forward and take another shot every few metres, until you get up to the 'object', or (more likely) to the point where the shapes no longer line up to show whatever it is you think they show. Then come back with your results.

I cannot work out, even after your description, what is supposed to be what. Doesn't the fact that you didn't notice anything at the time, suggest something to you? BTW, you said you 'analyzed' it - what techniques did you use? I'd especially like to know how you determine transparency when looking at a scene like this.

Yesterday evening, while I was walking on a dirt path through the woods, I snapped several pictures. This one in particular was disturbing. It appears to be a figure hung from a tree. After analyzing the transparent white "dress/cloth/material", I just could not dismiss it or the "face" as the bark of an ascending tree.

The transparency as well as the potential "rope" around the "figure's" neck has stumped me.

Share your thoughts!

My thought is you are trying hard to see something that you want to be true. If it was so out of the ordinary I think you would have noticed it while you were actually there, not after the fact looking at a photo.

I looked hard at the image, even the inserted close up. All I see is tree parts. I think its the background coming into the foreground and then also the concept of Pareidolia happening too. You want to see things like this and tell stories about things like this. You are very good at it - I've read some of your postings in the cryptid section - very full of details.

Another poster suggested that you take multiple shots of the same thing and see if there are discrepancies between them. That way you effectively have control photos and then if such things exist, the occasional abberrant photo. Without some sort of control photo to compare this too, it could be whatever anyone's imagination can possibly come up with. I would imagine that if you start taking multiples, you will begin to see that most of what you are seeing are actually events explainable by normal circumstances, as opposed to paranormal ones.

Looks like a tree to me.

Why don't you go back there and take some more photos - make sure you get some up close this time.

Unfortunately, I cannot investigate this "figure" further because I don't live in this town. These photos were taken on an overnight visit.

-T

Edited by Skinwalkers Haunted Woods 2005

I looked hard at the image, even the inserted close up. All I see is tree parts. I think its the background coming into the foreground and then also the concept of Pareidolia happening too. You want to see things like this and tell stories about things like this. You are very good at it - I've read some of your postings in the cryptid section - very full of details.

Another poster suggested that you take multiple shots of the same thing and see if there are discrepancies between them. That way you effectively have control photos and then if such things exist, the occasional abberrant photo. Without some sort of control photo to compare this too, it could be whatever anyone's imagination can possibly come up with. I would imagine that if you start taking multiples, you will begin to see that most of what you are seeing are actually events explainable by normal circumstances, as opposed to paranormal ones.

Of course I tell a good story, I'm an aspiring novelist! :)

As for the "big foot/skinwalker" story I posted in the cryptid section, well, I wrote that five years ago. Now, with my improved skill, I could certainly bring it to life!

Since I do not live in this particular town, I cannot investigate this "figure" further. I would with fervor because I'm very curious to what it was. Actually, I cannot recall where along the dirt road I snapped this photo. I did so randomly.

It's always interesting when the brain purposes an illusion!

- T

My thought is you are trying hard to see something that you want to be true. If it was so out of the ordinary I think you would have noticed it while you were actually there, not after the fact looking at a photo.

Woods are woods. They're an infinite expanse of bark equivalent to a room of mirrors. Amidst the obscurity, there's far too much to observe. The "figure" was quite prominent in the photo when I reviewed it. There was no strain on my eyes or the other three individuals whom spotted it.

I'm undecided about this one. It could be the bark of a tree, sure. Absolutely. But I cannot be confident.

- T

My thoughts are..

1. You were obviously looking for interesting stuff in images with a lot of detail, and then were surprised to find something?

2. Pareidolia. Show this image to ten random ordinary folk and I would be surprised if any of them saw anything remotely odd. I certainly don't - you were shooting into the light and there was lots of stuff making little patterns and shapes.

As Rafterman said, go back and find this identical location - after all, you have an image of it so it won't be difficult to find.. Then shoot the same scene from the same location, same time of day. Then move forward and take another shot every few metres, until you get up to the 'object', or (more likely) to the point where the shapes no longer line up to show whatever it is you think they show. Then come back with your results.

I cannot work out, even after your description, what is supposed to be what. Doesn't the fact that you didn't notice anything at the time, suggest something to you? BTW, you said you 'analyzed' it - what techniques did you use? I'd especially like to know how you determine transparency when looking at a scene like this.

False, actually. When I stepped out into the woods, I was not impersonating a ghost hunter. I was embarking on a adventure! When I reviewed this photo, and well as the others, "figures," orbs and faces emerged. I did not intentionally search for them.

Surely this could be the result of sunlight and shadows, no doubt. However, the root of the woods were dark.

I cannot revisit this location because I do not live in this town. Also, this identical spot would be difficult to find even with the aid of the photograph. Woods are identical themselves. The capture of image was not deliberate, therefore, identifying this "figure" at the time would have been difficult. The woods are an infinite expanse of bark and are equivalent to a room of mirrors. You've got to really fixate your eyes on a precise location to identify a potential figure.

The "face" is not realistic. I'm quizzical concerning the transparency. This photo was analyzed with Photoscape. To determine such, I applied a number of affects. The transparency translates to transparency and not a solid as the trunk does. This could be the result of sunlight. I'm not confident. I'm rather undecided.

- T

As I believe ghosts blend themselves in to the surroundings, and change light patterns, I say "Boy, congratulations on 2 great ghost pics there in the trees!!" The detail in the witch puc Is great, right down to the feet.

Keep up the good work, great stuff for the board.... Then again, a cudos from " me" round these parts might work against ya.... Good luck.

Looks like a tree to me.

I'm not seeing anything transparent. I simply see some old roots and a tree.

Thank you Thank you :tu:. I agree completely. It looks like a fallen tree, leaning against another tree, or even the massive root system sticking upward.

False, actually. When I stepped out into the woods, I was not impersonating a ghost hunter. I was embarking on a adventure! When I reviewed this photo, and well as the others, "figures," orbs and faces emerged. I did not intentionally search for them.

Surely this could be the result of sunlight and shadows, no doubt. However, the root of the woods were dark.

I cannot revisit this location because I do not live in this town. Also, this identical spot would be difficult to find even with the aid of the photograph. Woods are identical themselves. The capture of image was not deliberate, therefore, identifying this "figure" at the time would have been difficult. The woods are an infinite expanse of bark and are equivalent to a room of mirrors. You've got to really fixate your eyes on a precise location to identify a potential figure.

The "face" is not realistic. I'm quizzical concerning the transparency. This photo was analyzed with Photoscape. To determine such, I applied a number of affects. The transparency translates to transparency and not a solid as the trunk does. This could be the result of sunlight. I'm not confident. I'm rather undecided.

- T

So when faced with a choice between easily explainable and mundane, and completely subjective and unlikely, you remain undecided? The notion that you want something to be true shouldnt color the way you judge things.

As I believe ghosts blend themselves in to the surroundings, and change light patterns, I say "Boy, congratulations on 2 great ghost pics there in the trees!!" The detail in the witch puc Is great, right down to the feet.

Keep up the good work, great stuff for the board.... Then again, a cudos from " me" round these parts might work against ya.... Good luck.

Hey man, don't be upset or think that way. If you feel you're receiving negative feedback, it may be because we are simply trying to educate you and help you out. As I've always said, to be a believer your first obligation is to be a skeptic. I've been at this for quite a long while. You can read up on me and my group n history on my bio but, as my team evolves and we become more and more educated, we are able to, with complete certainty, conclude that 99.9% of "Paranormal" activity and events are nothing more than a mixture of Psychology / lack of education / misinterpretation of surroundings and natural occurrences / suggestion (in the psychological term) / or down right fraud and deceit.

So, as I said above, don't be discouraged. There are some extremely intelligent and well meaning people here. I just know one of the largest concerns and issues with the Paranormal Community is people making unsound and non educated claims towards "evidence." Education is the key my friend. :)

So when faced with a choice between easily explainable and mundane, and completely subjective and unlikely, you remain undecided? The notion that you want something to be true shouldnt color the way you judge things.

Well said.

Edited by ColoradoParanormal

I don't "want" the existence of the paranormal to be an actuality. Due to my personal, unexplainable experiences, I am convinced they exist.

Like I said, this could in fact be a tree or shadow. But, due to the transparency, I remain undecided.

- T

I don't "want" the existence of the paranormal to be an actuality. Due to my personal, unexplainable experiences, I am convinced they exist.

Like I said, this could in fact be a tree or shadow. But, due to the transparency, I remain undecided.

- T

The fact that you view this photo as questionable, to me at least, makes me doubt just how unexplainable your other experiences are. But as thats just my opinion.

Ah, that's alright. People have their opinions. Similar to how a believer cannot convince a nonbeliever, a nonbeliever cannot convince me. I must stay true to what I feel.

I'm not completely sure about this photo. It did, however, startle me.

Thanks!

- T

The fact that you view this photo as questionable, to me at least, makes me doubt just how unexplainable your other experiences are. But as thats just my opinion.

Well, one in particular was simply unexplainable.

One night, when I was about 6, I saw a white, glowing figure in my room. It had awoken me, actually, and its head was just above the bed. This would have made it about my height. Anyhow, I had woke my mother, who had been asleep beside me, and questioned the visibility of this figure. She couldn't see it. I'd also reached out to touch it and my hand went through it.

Well, that morning, my desk was a mess. My crayons and whatnot were strewn everywhere. She'd asked me if I had woke in the night and played. I had not. And, if I had, surely she would have heard me.

Also, these objects were not out of place from the night before, because I could not go to bed until I had cleaned up.

I have no explanation for that particular experience. If you've got one, please contribute. The experience still bewilders me.

- T

Edited by Skinwalkers Haunted Woods 2005

Having studied the photograph i would say that what you have is a dead tree in the background. This can be seen in the full photo with branches higher up coming out from behind the live trees. The small zoomed in section of the photo which you think may be a ghost shows part of the dead tree and root system. :)

edit typo :blush:

Edited by Englishgent

Having studied the photograph i would say that what you have is a dead tree in the background. This can be seen in the full photo with branches higher up coming out from behind the live trees. The small zoomed in section of the photo which you think may be a ghost shows part of the dead tree and root system. :)

edit typo :blush:

Yes, I can certainly see the section you're referring to. I agree, they do resemble roots. But right above these roots there seems to be a bit of transparency. I can't connect the roots to the white directly above them. While the roots appear to be thick and soild, the white directly above appears to be transparent. I understand what you're saying, that this could be a continuation of root ascending. It's just, compared to the root below, it appears transparent.

- T

Yes, I can certainly see the section you're referring to. I agree, they do resemble roots. But right above these roots there seems to be a bit of transparency. I can't connect the roots to the white directly above them. While the roots appear to be thick and soild, the white directly above appears to be transparent. I understand what you're saying, that this could be a continuation of root ascending. It's just, compared to the root below, it appears transparent.

- T

I think it is just the colouration and teture of the natural wood. nothing more :)

I always chuckle when people claim they aren't knowledgeable about the paranormal but yet make ludicrous claims about it and then get defensive when people point out the flaws of the op logic.

Why do i have a nagging feeling that he trying to spark media attention for his based on real life story?

Ummm your "account" of a ghostly encounter at 6 really seems to be text book nightmare/dream or lucid dream. That fact that you even mention you woke your mother (who was sleeping with you, did you have trouble/nightmares sleeping alone?) and she did not see the image...

Sounds like a tale any and every 6 year old has had at one point (myself included.) I hardly think you have special ghost vision and your mother lacked that skill/power. A desk with some crayons eskew - first and only possible exlpanation ghost artist...?

Sorry your "tale" is rather unremarkable and hardly seems to scream paranormal, much like the picture, seems more wishful thinking.

Ummm your "account" of a ghostly encounter at 6 really seems to be text book nightmare/dream or lucid dream. That fact that you even mention you woke your mother (who was sleeping with you, did you have trouble/nightmares sleeping alone?) and she did not see the image...

Sounds like a tale any and every 6 year old has had at one point (myself included.) I hardly think you have special ghost vision and your mother lacked that skill/power. A desk with some crayons eskew - first and only possible exlpanation ghost artist...?

Sorry your "tale" is rather unremarkable and hardly seems to scream paranormal, much like the picture, seems more wishful thinking.

Well, I have no explanation for the askew crayons, so. It was a weird experience.

- T