Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA to scale back Mars budget

Saru

NASA executives are to make significant cuts to its exploration of other planets in our solar system.

Nasa is about to propose "irrational" major cuts to its exploration of other planets, especially Mars, scientists claim. Budget constraints mean Nasa executives have had to decide whether to invest in space exploration in the neighbouring planet or the far-off cosmos.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MID

• DONTEATUS

• badeskov

• Grey14

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks to me as though the us are capitulating in the space race,good bye Uncle Sam hello China...

Having read the article,I am sad this is happening like millions of us.We all look towards progress but it looks like N.A.S.A. are skint like the rest of society,and something must be cut back,but I woild rather they explored what is next door,than trying to explore the unreachable.dah sveedahneeyah N.A.S.A.

Doesn't matter. America still makes the best movies about exploring Mars.

I dont care who walks on Mars first (Americans, Europeans, Asians, Russians).... as long as we do it in my lifetime!

Well, we have spent far too much money on too many things over the past couple decades and with the economy the way it is, everyone(except the painfully rich it appears) is having to cut back. It isn't permanent, but it will be a while before we invest large sums of money into space programs, but it will come back.

Nasa does a lot for the little money they do get, but without the inspiration of new programs to get peoples attention I think it will be harder and harder to justify the money to a public that doesn't see an end result of their investment. I can remember being a kid, and there were so many people spurred on to become engineers from watching the Apollo program, and it had a huge impact the the public. The stuff that Nasa does now is no less important, but it is all taken for granted, and there is no inspiration now as there was decades ago.

This is excellent news! What this essentially means, is that there will no longer be millions of dollars sent directly to JPL and Malin Space Science Systems, and the like!

In simple english, no more millions for robots that equate to essentially golf carts with a wifi antennae.

What it means, is that it's time to return to manned spacetravel. Or as I like to call it, space on the cheap.:)

It means it's time to take a look as how INEXPENSIVE we can make space travel. It's time to stop spending on combustible rocket fuel, and develop a re-usable launch system (like a railgun...)

It means that it's time to start recycling 70% of the dormant robotic crap that's inhabiting LEO currently (Low Earth Orbit).

It means that NASA had realized that to remain relevant, they are going to have to spend their dollars to compete with the manned spaceflight programs of China and the ESA, instead of continuing to play with their metal toys...

Finally, the boots of a man will fall upon the soils of Mars.

NASA can do it, or the public will. The field has just been equalized. ;)

-Brand

This is excellent news! What this essentially means, is that there will no longer be millions of dollars sent directly to JPL and Malin Space Science Systems, and the like!

Eh, what?! It is the lowest bidder that wins, whoever that might be.

In simple english, no more millions for robots that equate to essentially golf carts with a wifi antennae.

What it means, is that it's time to return to manned spacetravel. Or as I like to call it, space on the cheap.:)

Space on the cheap?!?!?! blink.gif

Do you have any idea at all how much it costs to develop human rated space crafts and the associated lift capabilities compared to a robotic mission? Here is a rough cost breakdown of the Cassini-Huygens mission to Titan (way out there compared to Mars):

The total cost of the Cassini-Huygens mission is about $3.26 billion, including $1.4 billion for pre-launch development, $704 million for mission operations, $54 million for tracking and $422 million for the launch vehicle. The U.S. contributed $ 2.6 billion, the European Space Agency $500 million and the Italian Space Agency $160 million.

Bolding mine. The cost of the latest Mars rover (Mars Science Laboratory) is about $2.5B (Wiki link):

Mars Science Laboratory mission is part of NASA's Mars Exploration Program, a long-term effort of robotic exploration of Mars, and the project is managed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of California Institute of Technology for NASA. Doug McCuistion of NASA's Planetary Science Division is the Director of the Mars Exploration Program.[15] The total cost of the MSL project is about US$2.5 billion.[16]

So what is the cost so far of the US Constellation program for the next generation manned space flight so far? Again, from from Wiki:

When President Bush established his new space exploration policy to return humans to the moon, NASA estimated the policy would cost $230 billion (in 2004 dollars) through 2025.[29] This figure includes the Commercial Crew and Cargo program, which is separate from the Constellation program. NASA has estimated that the Constellation program would cost over $97 billion (in 2008 dollars) through 2020, half of which would be for Ares I and Orion. However, unsolved technical and design challenges made it impossible for NASA to provide a credible estimate.[29]

So at $97B for the human exploration program you could get 25 (!!) Mars Exploration programs. So your contention that humans exploring space is space on the cheap is not not patently wrong, it seems rather naive.

It means it's time to take a look as how INEXPENSIVE we can make space travel. It's time to stop spending on combustible rocket fuel, and develop a re-usable launch system (like a railgun...)

A rail gun?! Seriously. How long do you envision that would be not to incur extremely acceleration?
It means that it's time to start recycling 70% of the dormant robotic crap that's inhabiting LEO currently (Low Earth Orbit).

What robotic crap would that be? And how do you suggest that would happen?
It means that NASA had realized that to remain relevant, they are going to have to spend their dollars to compete with the manned spaceflight programs of China and the ESA, instead of continuing to play with their metal toys...

You are aware, naturally, that they actually collaborate a lot with other space agencies on a whole lot of different things, correct? Or maybe you are not - your comments don't exactly reflect that.

Finally, the boots of a man will fall upon the soils of Mars.

Hopefully they will, yes. But you need robotic missions to start with to find the best area to maximize your scientific output.

NASA can do it, or the public will. The field has just been equalized. ;)

Eh, ho so?

By all means of respect, but your posts doesn't exactly display a deep knowledge of how space exploration actually works. Make no mistake, I am all for human exploration of space and allocating funding for it, but calling human exploration of space for cheap compared with robotic missions is, at best, ignorant. Secondly, they are not mutually exclusive, in fact, human exploration will require robotic missions for identifying and surveying areas of interest for human exploration.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov

Well done Obama. What are you going to do with that money?

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not...Jefferson

Well done Obama. What are you going to do with that money?

Ah yes...because Obama has all the say so on where the money goes in the budget. How ignorant.

I don't understand why the government has to be the one to fund space exploration exclusively. What's wrong with letting the private companies take over? I think private companies would work harder to reduce cost for getting people into space faster than the government would. All NASA has to do is request more money and they have it, no reason to attempt cost reduction.

I don't understand why the government has to be the one to fund space exploration exclusively. What's wrong with letting the private companies take over? I think private companies would work harder to reduce cost for getting people into space faster than the government would. All NASA has to do is request more money and they have it, no reason to attempt cost reduction.

I certainly dont have a problem with it but the companies do. The way it is right now it is not cost effective for private companies to do the things NASA does. The profit margin is to small if it is there at all so you won't see private companies shelling out millions of dollars on such a small return. Now in the Future I do believe we will see a shift where the private sector starts to venture out into space development but when that may be could still be decades.

the cutbacks signal the dwindling ambition of the the most ambitious nation in space exploration, i thought, space exploration would have become cheaper as technology advanced?

So the money and resources are there to make mind controlled weapons but not enough on explorations dated to be 2016 and 2018 ?

Money.. Money... it's so damn funny !!!!!

Frankly I'm more concerned about how such moves impact STEM education at a time when we should be encouraging more of our young people to go into the STEM fields.

I don't understand why the government has to be the one to fund space exploration exclusively.

It's called the Constitution of the United States of America.

Congress controls the purse strings for Government program funding.

What's wrong with letting the private companies take over? I think private companies would work harder to reduce cost for getting people into space faster than the government would. All NASA has to do is request more money and they have it, no reason to attempt cost reduction.

Somewhat naive.

Private companies do not have the manned spaceflight experience required to execute such a mission. NASA has the experience in manned spaceflight. NASA will be involved as the overseer of all private enterprize involvement in space exploratory activities. They've held this role since their inception and it would be folly to have any other option on the table.

Private enterprize has always been an integral part of manned space flight in the United States. But it's NASA's expertise in the management of a program, along side the integral involvement of private firms employing hundreds of thousands in the effort, that will provide for further exploratory programs.

As you may have noted, NASA cannot ask for more momney and just get it. Short sighted government has prohibited real funding of any manned exploration program. We are in a state of stasis, and a disgraceful state of development, especially under the current administration and their current NASA administrator.

Without support, it doesn't matter how hard private industry tries. It's not going to happen. There are too many things involved that people just do not realize.

Good Lord!

Private industry doesn't even have the kind of heavy lift launch experience required to operate a lunar landing mission launch vehicle.

Doesn't mean they couldn't someday, but I guarantee you, people like those at NASA will teach them how, monitor their progress, and call the shots.

To simply speak to private industry executing a lunar landing mission is folly.

Frankly I'm more concerned about how such moves impact STEM education at a time when we should be encouraging more of our young people to go into the STEM fields.

That's a concern, I'm sure.

Waiting for so long to see something like STEM come into play...a rememdy to the decline in education that occurred in the decades post-Apollo...I WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT ANYTHING THAT WOULD INHIBIT SUCH A PROGRAM FROM DEVELOPING TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL!

:tu:

That's a concern, I'm sure.

Waiting for so long to see something like STEM come into play...a rememdy to the decline in education that occurred in the decades post-Apollo...I WOULD BE CONCERNED ABOUT ANYTHING THAT WOULD INHIBIT SUCH A PROGRAM FROM DEVELOPING TO ITS FULL POTENTIAL!

:tu:

Well then we better get out and Vote again ,Right ? other wise Larry Curley , and Moe will be running our country ! NASA needs to have a few million Bake sales too ! :tu:

Dont make me get my Big Gun out !

post-68971-0-90117700-1329956599_thumb.j

Remember its your money the government use and they spend for the good of the people. But for some reason Americans voted to put people in power that wanted to spend trillions upon trillions on war instead of things like space exploration. Vote for someone else next time.

Remember its your money the government use and they spend for the good of the people. But for some reason Americans voted to put people in power that wanted to spend trillions upon trillions on war instead of things like space exploration. Vote for someone else next time.

You can like or dislike the current administration, but it inherited those wars from the previous administration , so that claim is not really fair in my point of view.

Cheers,

Badeskov

Well, it's not actually the war that the current administration has spent trillions on. It was the Bush administration that spent billions on it.

We've spent trillions of future dollars on things we shouldn't have with the current administration, asnd effectively scrapped a U.S. manned space program.

Time to get it right.

Well, it's not actually the war that the current administration has spent trillions on. It was the Bush administration that spent billions on it.

We've spent trillions of future dollars on things we shouldn't have with the current administration, asnd effectively scrapped a U.S. manned space program.

Time to get it right.

SO true ,You can steal from Peter to never pay back Paul,only to find that the money in the First place was all make believe money,from the underground printing presses.

So this leaves us with No space program,No really Good method of quick turn around launch,and really bad Lunches for the three people left to Run NASA. I bet they feel like America has dumped them into the Round File cabinet !

I say it time to Get ourselfs back on the Top of Space exploration.

We can rebuild him, make him better than a ,Oh that was a 70`s flash back. Sorry. Anywho We can Rebuild this program, and Get our Great NASA back into the Lead of Space Travel !

just my Opinion ,I know money talks and B.S walks !

THats the other problem with America too much B.S.

THe Bush years didnt help ,but THe people didnt help either ! Were all to Blame. GEt out and Vote !

post-68971-0-81327900-1330291202_thumb.j

Looks like its getting even more Grim for MArs and our return ! ANyone got a spare Billion sitting under there bed ?