Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

400-year-old witchcraft trial resumes

Still Waters

The trial of a woman burnt at the stake 400 years ago for witchcraft resumed in Germany on Monday in an effort to clear the woman's name.

Katharina Henot suffered her fiery fate in Cologne in 1627 after being found guilty of practicing black magic. Arrested, and tortured to such an extent that the right-handed woman had to scrawl her last letter of defence with her left hand, she was eventually paraded through the city in an open cart before being tied to a stake and burnt.

Now the panel on the city council whose predecessors found her guilty of witchcraft hundreds of years ago will review the evidence.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Simply amazing this is going on. I hope her name is cleared. All witch trials were a farce society should be ashamed of. The only real witch I ever met was my ex-wife--lol, Sorry.

• Like 2

The only real witch I ever met was my ex-wife--lol, Sorry.

HA!

But in all seriousness...this is a really good thing! Hopefully her descendants will be able to see her name venerated.

• Like 3

I understand that this was done because the catholic church wanted control of the people. If a woman cured your warts then she was a witch . Only Jesus cured the sick .Only he could work such miraclesAnd of course there was the Spanish inquesition

I understand that this was done because the catholic church wanted control of the people. If a woman cured your warts then she was a witch . Only Jesus cured the sick .Only he could work such miraclesAnd of course there was the Spanish inquesition

Then that would just defy the churches logic. My appologies if I'm mixing up 2 completely different parts of Christianity (I've never quite learned the difference between them); but if the Catholic church murdered people for being able to cure the sick, then why arent the priests who have supposedly removed demons from men and women, and cleansed babies from being tainted even glanced at?

Then that would just defy the churches logic. My appologies if I'm mixing up 2 completely different parts of Christianity (I've never quite learned the difference between them); but if the Catholic church murdered people for being able to cure the sick, then why arent the priests who have supposedly removed demons from men and women, and cleansed babies from being tainted even glanced at?

because they were priests. This was WOMEN curing people. One fundamental element of Christianity (especially Catholicism is that women are inferior and the source of evil) I personally think the hole thing was just eliminating the competition. Most old religions had a strong matriarchal aspect.

• Like 2

This is only a publicity stunt, a poor one at that. Unfortunately, their posturing won't bring this poor woman back to life.

Better yet, lets put the Kardashian sisters on trial. A more demonic bunch of witches has never walked the earth.

Fire up the stake!

• Like 1

rqandym23, hogwash - way too many female saints in the catholic religion for women to be "inferior". And let's not for gete The Blessed Mother.

Stop blaming the Catholic church for everything. They aren't infallible, but please.

Would be cool if she was found guilty... again.

:lol:

LMAO - let's hope not! :)

I agree with Jen this is a good thing. We should correct our past mistakes if for no other reason than to remember them and not repeat. And angi the disciples went out and healed also. It's well chronicled. Jesus said to them of His miracles "you will do these things and more" ...

• Like 1

Yes, us Catholics are horrible people. We should all be done away with.

the only reason it was mostly the catholics was the catholic church was the predominant church of the time. All religions have their idiots, but the catholic church did start the crusades which was the attempt at Genocide of the pagan communities

This certainly won't bring her back.If you Goggle her name, they have more on her at Wikipedia.It is thought by some historians there in Germany the whole thing was politically motivated. What better way of getting rid of someone than to accuse them of witchcraft.The Daily Mail website has something on this,and shows a photo of her statute on the Cologne City Hall.The statue of the man next to her was a Jesuit priest who protested and argued that they should stop torturing and burning witches in Germany.

Obviously randym23, you have never met my ex wife. : )

I really don't see the point of this. There are real cases that need solving. ...stupid people <_<

"Your honor, we believe the defendant to be not guilty of casting magical spells, on the grounds that humans cannot cast magical spells. I rest my case"

I don't think she really needs her name cleared... hopefully no rational people today are going to believe she really sold her soul to the devil for powers...

Why is this even being discussed?

Did she perform magical witchcraft? No, of course she did not.

Was she murdered by religious zealots? Duh.

I wonder how much money is being spent on this BS when people are suffering right now........

I think that's a pretty silly statement. I think there is a lot of symbolic value in what they are doing. That's like claiming that money spent on a funeral or remembrance ceremony is "BS and a waste". Or perhaps they shouldn't have wasted all of that money building and maintaining the holocaust museum? No sense in bringing to light and educating the populace about the historical atrocities committed in our past, eh?

I think there is plenty of value in what they are doing, and I think it has a ton of meaning for many people around the world even today. Acknowledging the wrongs done in the past is a good way to start the future in my opinion.

• Like 1

Actually Cologne was mainly protestant in the XV and XVI century. Furthermore if the catholic (as in "universal") church with her inquisition had their fair share of murders the protestant of Germany UK and the not yet created US (see Salem trials) were the work of protestants.

Would be cool if she was found guilty... again.

:lol:

rather nauseating