Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheist Rally in DC

F3SS

evangelize,

thought police :no:

I thought the burden of proof was supposed to be on the believers with their extraordinary claims. Why rally for what is rational? Do they hand out pamphlets that say "1+1=2"?

Thought police?? Really? Could anyone be that deluded?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• F3SS

• __Kratos__

• aquatus1

• The Silver Thong

I was asked, during military processing and getting my dog tags, what my religion was. I told the NCO that I was an Athiest. He stopped and looked me up and down, stopped for a moment, and then said putting that on my paperwork and dog tags was probably not a good idea. Promotion for the first few ranks were a given but after that you tested and went before a board. Best for my career to put something else. So long story short, I walked out of there "Protestant- No preference".

I guess I am one of the silent majority that doesn't care but I can see more vocal people being upset about stuff like this.

Same here. My tags stated NORELPREF--no religious preference.

You lost me on that last part. As for the first part, the blurry line I speak of isn't about one belief or another. It's the organizational way of spreading the message. I thought atheist were much like how IMAGINARYNUMBER described himself above. If you ask him he'll tell you otherwise he doesn't care. Atheism is about having no belief or message to spread. Now it's about telling people through media and rallies and billboards that to come one, come all, gather round and hear my POV. Isn't that the very same thing the churches do that atheist dont like? I outlined a hypothetical scenario in my op. That's where the hypocrisy will lye. All I'm saying is the more I hear of things I mention here the more atheism is beginning to sound like another religion whose goal is to spread their word. Atheist hate how religions tell people the world is better with god in it. Now atheist are telling people the world is better without. How are those two things any different? They are not. Two sets of beliefs. Each telling the other their way is better. Atheist are supposed to not like that rhetoric or even think of it. They only believe in real life. There is no message to spread. Atheism is state of mind, not a way of life.

Not at all confusing. Atheists may gather in protest in a non religious way such as the blacks did in the sixties. Oppression does not equal religion. Atheists gather to show support to others and to somewhat try to keep religion out of government policy.

Bottom line, atheists don`t like being dictated to by the supernatural.

My problem with the few Atheists I've known is their attitude of superiority. I don't go around haranguing people with the Gospel. I share when it seems appropriate and never follow up if someone is disinterested. That tack is not acceptable for them. No, they actually feel the need to needle and ridicule a person of faith for being mindless or ignorant about how the world really is...

I see the same thing here although I have no idea about the personal faith of those involved and don't really care. But there are a few who use every opportunity to vilify Christianity and look down the nose at the "idiots" who profess faith in it. Oddly enough, no such proscription against Islam, Buddhism or Judaism. Odd isn't it?

My problem with the few Atheists I've known is their attitude of superiority. I don't go around haranguing people with the Gospel. I share when it seems appropriate and never follow up if someone is disinterested. That tack is not acceptable for them. No, they actually feel the need to needle and ridicule a person of faith for being mindless or ignorant about how the world really is...

I see the same thing here although I have no idea about the personal faith of those involved and don't really care. But there are a few who use every opportunity to vilify Christianity and look down the nose at the "idiots" who profess faith in it. Oddly enough, no such proscription against Islam, Buddhism or Judaism. Odd isn't it?

Well christianity is talked about most because it's so big and popular in the West. Other mythologies are just as ridiculous to nonbelievers as a bloodstained cross one.

Is there some reason why we shouldn't vilify christianity? It's a hate group and it's teachings even speak strongly against nonbelievers and other faiths. You reap what you sow.

would really like the opportunity to go to an Atheist rally one day. be cool to meet others with similar thoughts. i only know of a couple other atheists personally, and they are family. i see rallies such as this not as irony or hypocrisy. it is a necessity. it lets others know that they arent taking crazy pills, we arent some defective model of human for not "feeling the glory of a higher creator with whose love is everlasting.....etc". i didnt even realize that non-belief was an option until my late teens. i had a distrust in the existence of a god since a young age, but never knew how to express it for fear of shunning by my family. so yeah, i think these are pretty freakin sweet!

Well christianity is talked about most because it's so big and popular in the West. Other mythologies are just as ridiculous to nonbelievers as a bloodstained cross one.

Is there some reason why we shouldn't vilify christianity? It's a hate group and it's teachings even speak strongly against nonbelievers and other faiths. You reap what you sow.

It's not a hate group. And you speak just as strongly on your behalf. Last I checked the bible doesn't encourage death to all non believers like some other religion we all know of. Anytime I've been to church I have only heard messages of peace and do-goodery talk. But...You're going to find fanatics anywhere you want to. Just look to the sports world. Do you hate sports just because it produces rabid followers? Sports related violence by fans is probably second only to radical religios violence.

Just go and lay your hands on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and I think you're gonna finally understand~ Charlie Daniels

Id say the biggest issue i have with hard core christians is that they completely refute eveolution and think the earth is only 6000 years old and the universe is void of life except here. Basically, the ignoring of modern science. But really, I don't care. Those views aren't hurting anyone.

It's not a hate group. And you speak just as strongly on your behalf. Last I checked the bible doesn't encourage death to all non believers like some other religion we all know of.

I think it is a hate group, and the bible does encourage death to non-believers. The Book of Deuteronomy is the worst.

http://biblebabble.curbjaw.com/laws.htm

Deuteronomy 13:6-10

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Lol:

Edited by HavocWing

As far as I can see it`s the believers and not just christians that look down there nose at none believers due to the fact they believe they know of some superior god. People of faith put more behind that faith then they do behind there fellow man and in doing so come off as knowing a supernatural being and being better off for doing so. It`s a redundant thought proccess that changes little.

Religion in general has divided the masses for thousands of years and to what gain. Religion is not that much different than racisim.

As far as atheists picking on christians ha. Can you imagine an atheist living in Saudi Arabia and posting this. Probably jailed or killed. So ya In the so called freedom we have in the west, christianity is the target. Why, because christianity given the chance would turn every nation into a religious dictatorship given half a chance.

It's not a hate group. And you speak just as strongly on your behalf. Last I checked the bible doesn't encourage death to all non believers like some other religion we all know of. Anytime I've been to church I have only heard messages of peace and do-goodery talk. But...You're going to find fanatics anywhere you want to. Just look to the sports world. Do you hate sports just because it produces rabid followers? Sports related violence by fans is probably second only to radical religios violence.

Just go and lay your hands on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and I think you're gonna finally understand~ Charlie Daniels

Id say the biggest issue i have with hard core christians is that they completely refute eveolution and think the earth is only 6000 years old and the universe is void of life except here. Basically, the ignoring of modern science. But really, I don't care. Those views aren't hurting anyone.

It is a hate group... Just look how the bible teaches christians to treat nonbelievers, homosexuals, women and other faiths. Plus all the genocide, rape and conquering just in the bible makes it a pretty bloody book. I mean it's pretty sad when the "bad" guy in the myth (satan) kills less people then their own god does in a book meant to give people a set of values to live with.

Those views against science are hurting a lot of people actually. It's hurting the critical thinking factors and the acceptance of facts to move on to a better life.

I do speak strongly about things but I can't say that I've ever thought it was ok to torture and murder a baby and then order his mother to be raped like the bible does. (2 samuel 12) I guess that's what separates me apart from christians.

This is ridiculous. You're looking at it from a most radical dark ages view.

The bible comes from the dark ages

This is ridiculous. You're looking at it from a most radical dark ages view.

You don't have to look at the bible from a dark ages views, those word are in there today. All the the rape, torture, murder and incest is still in that book today.

On this we certainly agree.

As far as I can see it`s the believers and not just christians that look down there nose at none believers due to the fact they believe they know of some superior god. People of faith put more behind that faith then they do behind there fellow man and in doing so come off as knowing a supernatural being and being better off for doing so. It`s a redundant thought proccess that changes little.

Religion in general has divided the masses for thousands of years and to what gain. Religion is not that much different than racisim.

As far as atheists picking on christians ha. Can you imagine an atheist living in Saudi Arabia and posting this. Probably jailed or killed. So ya In the so called freedom we have in the west, christianity is the target. Why, because christianity given the chance would turn every nation into a religious dictatorship given half a chance.

I've read quite a few of your posts and have always considered you to be a thoughtful, intelligent individual but that statement is ridiculous. If you really believe that then you haven't met any Christians who even try to live by the teachings of Christ.

The whole essence of Christ's teaching is about love and forgiveness - freewill and consequences. The religion you describe in that sentence is Islam. Being anti Christian in these forums is free. No cost at all. Same goes for speaking your mind (about Christianity) in public in the West. Try it with Islam and you're apt to get dead. But do we hear an uproar over that reality? Nope..cause it could cost something.

There is nothing more violent in the qur'an than in the bible contrary to popular belief.

I've read quite a few of your posts and have always considered you to be a thoughtful, intelligent individual but that statement is ridiculous. If you really believe that then you haven't met any Christians who even try to live by the teachings of Christ.

The whole essence of Christ's teaching is about love and forgiveness - freewill and consequences. The religion you describe in that sentence is Islam. Being anti Christian in these forums is free. No cost at all. Same goes for speaking your mind (about Christianity) in public in the West. Try it with Islam and you're apt to get dead. But do we hear an uproar over that reality? Nope..cause it could cost something.

Again, spoken through pure hate and ignorance, while swearing that you follow a loving religion. It is very unimpressive.

An Atheist rally wouldn't interest me at all. Big deal...we have not believing in common. I'd much rather go to something where everyone has a common interest in an activity or hobby. There is nothing interesting or worth discussing about not believing in my opinion.

Again, spoken through pure hate and ignorance, while swearing that you follow a loving religion. It is very unimpressive.

Do you even live in the same universe? Is English a second language for you? What was hateful about what I just said? Or perhaps it was just that what I said touched a nerve?

Today's atheists are becoming more militant, soon there will be fundamentalist atheists doing suicide bombs for a one way ticket to nothingness! Lol.

Atheists make me laugh, so desperately trying to be organised like organised religions…irony!!!

+

Desperate atheists trying get organised like ...... Wait for it.......organised religion. Irony!!!!

lawl, you seem mad.

Fact is people coming together on common ground isn't the same as organized religion at all. Where one group can discuss freely opinions, religions tend to be more box thinking and it's our way or the high way. There are nonbelievers from every background, gender and political ideology so they're all each their own person.

Nonbelievers are a fast growing demographic and we'll come together on common ideas that some of us like and we'll push for them.

+

lawl, you seem mad.

Fact is people coming together on common ground isn't the same as organized religion at all. Where one group can discuss freely opinions, religions tend to be more box thinking and it's our way or the high way. There are nonbelievers from every background, gender and political ideology so they're all each their own person.

Nonbelievers are a fast growing demographic and we'll come together on common ideas that some of us like and we'll push for them.

Seems like some people believe that atheists have no right to gather around to express their opinion. :( They do have the right to have a meeting. Maybe many people are subconsciously threatened by the rising numbers of atheists. I am not an atheist but I don't care because I share a lot of common ideas with atheists.

Desperate atheists trying get organised like ...... Wait for it.......organised religion. Irony!!!!

So what would you call Martin Luthur King a person that gathered for human rights or religious rights if you want to make the accociation. If atheists gather it's for human rights same as MLK even though he was a religious man he did not gather for religious reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/atheist-accuses-jews-of-religious-bigotry-after-landlord-refuses-to-display-myth-billboard/

Atheist Accuses Jews of ‘Religious Bigotry’ After Landlord Refuses to Display ‘Myth’ Billboard

See this is where I take issue with this particular brand of atheism. The atheist have gone into a predominantly jewish neighborhood to crowbar their beliefs where they aren't wanted. The very thing they accuse organized religion of doing. Knowing darn well trouble would ensue, they try and turn it around, play the victim card and accuse the property owner who denied the advertising privelidge of bigotry. How about practicing your own atheist values and minding your business. This is absolutely hypocrytical of what they "preach". However, the word preach doesn't need to be in quotes. These atheist are forming a religion. Let jews be jews and christians be christians. Nobody needs to be told it's ok not to believe. You hide under that veil of the shoulder to lean on when in fact you're hellbent on pushing, cramming and crowbaring your way of life onto others.

If they don't want to belive they won't. If they do want to they will. It is not your job to help decide. Atheism isn't a way of life. Atheism is living and believing any way you want (which is millions of possible personalty types and "ways of life") so long as you don't belive in a supernatural higher power. You can claim to be atheist but I don't think you can be defined as one. Too many diiferent types of people can be atheist yet not have any common ground. Believing in something is common ground. Not believing in something isn't neccessarily common ground. These new atheists want to be defined, organized and most of all recognized. So once again I ask, how is that different from the big religions???

Edit: Maybe if two people came together who don't belive that apples exist then I would say that is common ground. But not believing in things that noone can prove exist doesn't mean you have anything in common. You can have two people that don't belive in ghosts yet have absolutely nothing else to say to eachother. Hence those two people can't be a defined group.

Edited by Is it for real