Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysteries of 'mummified mermaid'

Still Waters

University staff and students are doing tests to uncover the origins of a museum exhibit which looks like a mummified mermaid.

They have already found the mysterious Buxton Mermaid's hair is human.

The University of Lincoln team is now testing the DNA of the mermaid's tail to see what fish it came from.

Anita Hollinshead, a conservation and restoration masters student, came across the mermaid while working at the Buxton Museum and Art Gallery.

"We think that it came from the mid-19th Century," she said.

"We are still doings tests to find that out.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Ealdwita

• terbo559

• BrokenKey

LOL, If you look closely she's flipping off a bandaged finger and that is one cheeky grin for a dead mummy. rofl

Didn't y'all watch Pitates Of the Carrabean, everyone knows mermaids are really just Pirate Ghost's, or Is that Ghost Pirates?ph34r.gifrofl.gif

I saw something simmiler on river monsters, some Japanise legend that snatched children playing in rivers. They had a mummy of it which was suspected to be of different animal parts.

Dammit, I read that as buxom mermaid. Needless to say, I was deeply disappointed.

I agree with you. Looks were not good as it sounded to be <_<

I saw something simmiler on river monsters, some Japanise legend that snatched children playing in rivers. They had a mummy of it which was suspected to be of different animal parts.

You mean a kappa?

• 3 months later...

Parts of monkey - liked that bit.

You'd need to have been at sea for a bloody long time before that looked good enough to lure you over the gunwales to a watery grave!