Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Odd Black Hole Is Last Survivor of Its Galaxy

Still Waters

The Hubble space telescope has spotted a supermassive black hole floating on the outskirts of a large galaxy.

The location is odd because black holes of this size generally form in the centers of galaxies, not at their edges. This suggests the black hole is the lone survivor of a now-disintegrated dwarf galaxy.

The black hole — named HLX-1 — is 20,000 times more massive than the sun, and is situated 290 million light-years away at the edge of the spiral galaxy ESO 243-49.

Hubble detected a great deal of energetic blue light coming from the black hole’s accretion disk — a massive collection of gas and dust that spirals into the black hole’s maw, generating x-rays. But scientists studying Hubble’s data also noticed the presence of cooler, red light, which shouldn’t have been there.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StarMountainKid

• Still Waters

• Eluveit

• Tiger In A Tie

Wow.

• 1 month later...

Black holes never cease to amaze me.

• 3 weeks later...

I think every thing in the universe becomes famous only when it is refered with a black hole

most of the times.Its power and the authority it shows to all the other things in the universe amazes me, :tu: