Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man finds $26,000 in a safe he bought on eBay

glorybebe

i belive if u find over 5k in cash it must be handed in to the police anyway because it needs to be decleared and taxed as well as finding the rightful owner its not as easy as just saying u found it

Labrecque doesn't quite see it that way.

"That's a chunk of change, you know. That's life-altering money," he said. "I mean, if I was in that situation and I found that kind of money and I bought it from someone, I'd say, 'Here, man, I found this money. I'll give you half of it.'"

Of course you would...

:innocent:

A contentious email chain between Labrecque and the buyer ensued. The regretful Labrecque had asked for a cut of the cash, but the buyer declined, citing Labrecque's selling policy which states, "What you see is what you get, no returns, and no money back."

He shot himself in the foot with that one lol

I also laughed at him saying he would have given him half of the cash.. .Yea sure you would !

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I wouldn't tell anyone. I would put it away someplace safe and slowly deposit it into my bank account. :yes:

So would I w00t.gif

That's so...frustrating.

Ya, pretty sure I wouldn't tell anyone that I found 26K in a safe I bought on Ebay, I'd just go on my merry way.

I did once get WAY more than I purchased on Ebay though. I bought what I thought was a knock off Tag Heuer watch (although the seller said it was real) from a seller with almost no feedback in Singapore. I wasn't even sure I was going to receive the dang thing, must less get something real. It did arrive, I thought it was a great knock off, I wore it on and off for 2 years when it stopped working--I assumed the battery was dead. I took it to my watch guy for a battery, and I wasn't even sure he could (or would) put a battery into a knock-off. I handed it to him, kind of laughed and told him "I don't know if you can do anything to fix this" he took it back into his shop, I heard him get on the phone for a minute then he came back and said "It's not the battery, theres a problem inside and I'm going to have to take it apart, clean it and repair a couple of things, it's going to cost about $250." I laughed and told him that there was no way I was going to spend $250 on a knock off watch I bought online from a guy in Singapore. That's when he told me to think twice about that, and hauled out a catalog of rare and collectible watches.

Turns out the serial numbers for mine matched up with a rare limited edition ladies dive watch from the mid-1980s and brand new, it sold for 11K dollars! Only a handful of them were made! It's stil worth around 11K... I paid $64 + shipping for it. LOL.

Unless its a cover story for the tax/vat man, yeah honest gov i found it..lol

• 3 weeks later...

If I was the buyer, I would have had the decency to give this guy at least half of it back.

I wouldn't tell anyone. I would put it away someplace safe and slowly deposit it into my bank account. :yes:

Buy beer with it.

wow, there are a lot of dishonest people on here.. i would hand the money and safe to the police, letting the coppers know that i had bought the safe and found the contents inside. chances are, if they havent tracked down the owners in three months time, you get to keep the cash anyway.

we had that happen when we found a camera, the whole kit and caboodle, outside a hospital. went to the cop shop, filled out a statement. three months later they called us and said no one had come forward, so it was ours. at the end of the day, you have to think, if it were your goods and indeed money, that has gone missing. wouldnt you want it back?

Yes, however I would also keep in mind that I was the idiot who lost it in the first place.

Additionally, if you purchased a vase, and it turned out to be Ming, you are the one that found the treasure, not the person that sold it to you. If you did not intentionally scam someone out of their money, you are not under any obligation to compensate them for your good fortune. You can, of course, if you like, but implying anyone should is not supportable.

The seller didn't make 150% sure that there was nothing inside the safe so it's his loss. Now if someone had been walking down the street and dropped that much cash, yes I would take it to a police station to see if it could be returned. But if you're going to sell me something, everything that comes within said item is also basically being sold to me.

If I'd have found it no one would know. I would however give some to charity and my friend who needs it more then me.

• Like 1