Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ancient Egyptian Light Bulbs

SamDavies

WRONG!

He got the radio working using a solution in coconuts. You had to stir the solution.

It was Gilligan that tripped and fell, smashing the radio.

There was nothing wrong with the Professor's coconuts.

Harte

:lol: .. funny Harte! .. Ever Vigilant defender of Truth, .. Insults, ... and the American way.

• Like 1

Oh, damn, you're right. They didn't need aliens. They had the Professor. And all the coconuts they could ever want.

russell_johnson.jpg = 35m9u3.jpg

Hey, he was the head alien in "It came from outer space."

russell.jpg

04_1950ssci-fimovies-read-more-http-www-time-com-time-specials-packages-article-0288042068772_2068771_206875700-html-ixzz1szg8wvhv.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1

Edit: Note the subtle change in the hair.

Edited by Oniomancer
  • Like 1

I should have known the Professor was an alien, simply observing his human specimens on the island. So much is explained... such as how he could do anything with bamboo and coconuts except fix the boat.

I should have known the Professor was an alien, simply observing his human specimens on the island. So much is explained... such as how he could do anything with bamboo and coconuts except fix the boat.

Now, now, let's not let inconvenient details ruin a good (absurd?) story ;) .

Wow. Ancient Aliens and Giorgio must be lapping up all the free publicity and advertising we give them. At least I get plenty of reminders on how to spell Giorgio's name correctly. Now why on earth would Giorgio want to change his hair and let all his fans down.

Excuse me if there’s already a thread specifically on Ancient Egyptian light bulbs but I can not find the subject here on UM.

NO I DO NOT BELIEVE THESE ARE LIGHT BULBS BY THE WAY. Nor that the ancient Egyptians had or used light bulbs.

HATHOR TEMPLE has a relief sometimes known as the Dendera light because of a controversial fringe thesis about its nature. The Dendera light images comprise five stone reliefs (two of which contain a pair of "lights") in the Hathor temple at the Dendera Temple complex located in Egypt. The view of Egyptologists is that the relief is a mythological depiction of a djed pillar and a lotus flower, spawning a snake within, representing aspects of Egyptian mythology

IMAGE of the five depictions at Hathor Temple

SYMBOLS explained.

It is believed that the Djed (Hieroglyph that looks a little like an Asian temple is the best way to describe it) is a rendering of a human backbone. It represents stability and strength. It was originally associated with the creation god Ptah. Himself being called the "Noble Djed". As the Osiris cults took hold it became known as the backbone of Osiris . A djed column is often painted on the bottom of coffins, where the backbone of the deceased would lay, this identified the person with the king of the underworld, Osiris. It also acts as a sign of stability for the deceased' journey into the afterlife.

Sesen: A Lotus Flower. This is a symbol of the sun, of creation and rebirth. Because at night the flower closes and sinks underwater, at dawn it rises and opens again. According to one creation myth it was a giant lotus which first rose out of the watery chaos at the beginning of time. From this giant lotus the sun itself rose on the first day. A symbol of Upper Egypt.

I am an electrical engineer , and clearly them images are depicting ancient light bulbs ,. What else could they be . ???

I am an electrical engineer , and clearly them images are depicting ancient light bulbs ,. What else could they be . ???

I think the eggplant idea is more believable than ancient light bulbs.

Obviously they are not from aliens. I would think aliens who could travel through space and time would have better ways of making light bulbs than using a filament.

Obviously they are not from aliens. I would think aliens who could travel through space and time would have better ways of making light bulbs than using a filament.

The hieroglyphs on the walls beside these carvings say that what people see as a glass bulb is the AE (Ptolemaic) way of representing the "perfection" of Harsomptus.

Kind of like a halo.

The snake is coming out of a lotus bloom.

The lotus is extremely white. In the morning sun, it has this "glow" if you will.

The "perfection" of Harsomptus, who emerges from the lotus blossom in the myth this is a representation of.

See here:

The Ka of Harsomtus carries the "perfection of Harsomtus". The Ka is the invisible double of a person, a soul representing the life energy of a person or a god. The Ka is mentioned in plural here - that's to expect because Harsomtus appears twice to. The Ka's are the two small persons beneath the "bulb", so the "bulb" itself must be the "perfection of Harsomtus" - the morning sky!

That same website has a pic of the earlier, true Egyptian representation of the same thing. The one this thread is talking about is actually a Greek interpretation.

Harte

I was being sarcastic .

Well, there appears to be one person who's convinced that Babylon 5 was a documentary. :w00t:

cormac

Someone should ask his opinions of the Narns :P

I didnt see anyone mention the so called "Baghdad battery" or "Parthian Battery" whatever you want to call it, while I dont believe in "Ancient Aliens" its not wholly impossible that they might have developed such a technology and then we simply forgot about it, just like we forgot how to decipher hieroglyph's from the Egyptians and Mayans, Greek fire, etc. etc. Also remember what we "recreate" in a lab or on Myth Busters (which in my opinion is the dumbest show ever created that isnt a "Reality") is done to see if something works, its not done to survive, if these people actually had this "Dendera Light" they didnt use it to fool around and see if they could do it, they did it because they needed it in their everyday lives, not to prove some hypothesis.

You - me both (welll Aeronautical Engineer in my case). Light bulbs need to be evacuated of oxygen to prevent the filament (what material could be used) from just burning away - do you have a theory for how this was accomplished? Where is the power source for the lightbulbs, The "Baghdad Battery" could not supply enough current to light a modern bulb, glass blowing was not sufficiently advanced to produce a hermetic seal, so I go with with the theory that we are looking at an aubergine (Eggplant) in the depiction...

You - me both (welll Aeronautical Engineer in my case). Light bulbs need to be evacuated of oxygen to prevent the filament (what material could be used) from just burning away - do you have a theory for how this was accomplished? Where is the power source for the lightbulbs, The "Baghdad Battery" could not supply enough current to light a modern bulb, glass blowing was not sufficiently advanced to produce a hermetic seal, so I go with with the theory that we are looking at an aubergine (Eggplant) in the depiction...

like I said before, it might or might not have (lit a bulb), but you cant base yourself on modern tests, the only "tests" made were recreations of the actual battery, and its done purely for science, to see if it worked, its not done out of need, you can "rebuild" something all you want from catapults to trebuchet's etc. etc. but unless youre building it for actual use whatever you built is probably nothing compared to the real thing.

like I said before, it might or might not have (lit a bulb), but you cant base yourself on modern tests, the only "tests" made were recreations of the actual battery, and its done purely for science, to see if it worked, its not done out of need, you can "rebuild" something all you want from catapults to trebuchet's etc. etc. but unless youre building it for actual use whatever you built is probably nothing compared to the real thing.

So... there is 1 example from Baghdad of what might have been a current storage device, re - creations of its capacity have been made several times. It COULD NOT have powered a (non - existent )lightbulb, you would be better off, exponentially, using reeds soaked in oil,. It could have helped to copper / gold plate items over extremely long periods of time. It might have even existed to give a mild tingle to Priests' tongues.

What you are forgetting is that today (as in ancient tines) a current source without application is worthless. Perhaps that is why there is only 1 such example.

Finally, it was not created out of need, the means to light passages and earthworks already existed, there are no light - bulbs, no evidence of it being used to light anything, so I stay with my original assumptions: It either existed to tingle a Priest's tingue or to help to plate base materials.

So... there is 1 example from Baghdad of what might have been a current storage device, re - creations of its capacity have been made several times. It COULD NOT have powered a (non - existent )lightbulb, you would be better off, exponentially, using reeds soaked in oil,. It could have helped to copper / gold plate items over extremely long periods of time. It might have even existed to give a mild tingle to Priests' tongues.

What you are forgetting is that today (as in ancient tines) a current source without application is worthless. Perhaps that is why there is only 1 such example.

Finally, it was not created out of need, the means to light passages and earthworks already existed, there are no light - bulbs, no evidence of it being used to light anything, so I stay with my original assumptions: It either existed to tingle a Priest's tingue or to help to plate base materials.

actually the recreations were only done Twice, Once in the 80's and another by "Myth Busters" which is not a real myth busting show, just an excuse for Two guys to blow things up, and like I said previously you can recreate anything all you want but unless you actually need it for everyday use its not going to work like it used to.

and as I said I dont particularly believe in it, but you cant just cancel out all your options because you cant do something now, that someone else could hundreds or thousands of years ago, because you dont have that need that they did.

Hi keithisco

Just to suggest that there were some great minds existing around (prior to) the time of the construction of Dendera, Archimedes being the first to spring to mind. This was a time of science and tech advancement, with death rays, lens polishing and astronomical discoveries. We have the Antikythera mechanism dating roughly from this period, the Colossus of Rhodes and legends of automata..

Perhaps the mythological explanation could mask a scientific experiment, explained in terms the masses might understand..

actually the recreations were only done Twice, Once in the 80's and another by "Myth Busters" which is not a real myth busting show, just an excuse for Two guys to blow things up, and like I said previously you can recreate anything all you want but unless you actually need it for everyday use its not going to work like it used to.

and as I said I dont particularly believe in it, but you cant just cancel out all your options because you cant do something now, that someone else could hundreds or thousands of years ago, because you dont have that need that they did.

Sorry... utter rubbish!! When at Uni we recreated the Baghdad Battery, I think most Uni's do. Using exactly the same materials, and varying the dielectric medium to what might have been available then, and even using modern dielectirc mediums we managed less than 1 volt DC.

So just give up, there were no light bulbs in Baghdad, because oil soaked torches supplied the NEED.

I agree. It could have been used to tingle a tongue; plate base materials over a very long time.

It may have been used for limited acupuncture, having had personal experience of zapping my muscles some years ago with one of those muscle stimulators hitting the right accupuncture spot with a mild current would be very effective, IMO. But again, no record in Iran, Iraq or Egypt of wire stimulated accupuncture as far as I know.

It may have been an experiment in progress that was lying around since only one was found. Again, probably an experiment in progress that never took off of metal coating. Irananians/Iraqis still plate metals but what is the oldest methods used in modern time? And the 'battery' was found in Iraq, not Egypt. No light bulbs in ancient Egypt, or Greater Iran 2000 years ago. Even if there were light bulbs in the middle east again a light bulb looks simple but it is not and the simple 'battery' found would not have been powerful enough to light a light bulb with any great practical way if at all. And IMO, I am sure if Egypt had any 'batteries' there would be some record of it.

What do you think, Psychi101 with your knowledge of cathodes and so forth. Using the original 'battery' found, what could a clay vessel with a copper tube insert held in place with asphelt with a iron rod sticking out of it be used for? What would happen if the iron rod was heated?

Hi keithisco

Just to suggest that there were some great minds existing around (prior to) the time of the construction of Dendera, Archimedes being the first to spring to mind. This was a time of science and tech advancement, with death rays, lens polishing and astronomical discoveries. We have the Antikythera mechanism dating roughly from this period, the Colossus of Rhodes and legends of automata..

Perhaps the mythological explanation could mask a scientific experiment, explained in terms the masses might understand..

"Death Rays"? a phalanx of polished shield to blind an enemy, not exactly "Death Rays". the Colossus of Rhodes was a stone statue, Archimedes was long dead when the Antikythera machanism was devised ( about 200 years) . I do not doubt for one second that the builder of the mechanism was less than a genius,Archimedes was certainly not associated with Dendera in Egypt, that centre was way before his time.

Whilst I am sure that many scientifics advancements were lost to mankind when the Library at Alexandria was sacked and burned, most of the manuscipts had already been copied by the Moors and are in Spain

Sorry... utter rubbish!! When at Uni we recreated the Baghdad Battery, I think most Uni's do. Using exactly the same materials, and varying the dielectric medium to what might have been available then, and even using modern dielectirc mediums we managed less than 1 volt DC.

So just give up, there were no light bulbs in Baghdad, because oil soaked torches supplied the NEED.

Keith,

Also, nobody has stated that the so-called "Baghdad battery" dates to the common era.

In addition, the Horus myth in the depiction FAR predates the freize in question, as I stated earlier.

Here's an earlier (non-Grecian) interpretation:

schlangstein.jpg

That's the pic that I mentioned from the site I linked.

I told everyone this earlier.

Apparently, I am to be either ignored or dibelieved.

Good luck, Keith.

Harte

Apparently, I am to be either ignored or dibelieved.

Good luck, Keith.

Harte

You know how it is, Harte. Even with evidence staring them full in the face, and no matter how cogent and rational the explanation, fans of the fringe cling mightily to fantasy.

Yes, ignoring and disbelieving are much easier to do.

You know how it is, Harte. Even with evidence staring them full in the face, and no matter how cogent and rational the explanation, fans of the fringe cling mightily to fantasy.

Yes, ignoring and disbelieving are much easier to do.

Come on, give 'em a little credit, they just are wearing the wrong glasses and tell us what they see!

The hieroglyphs on the walls beside these carvings say that what people see as a glass bulb is the AE (Ptolemaic) way of representing the "perfection" of Harsomptus.

Kind of like a halo.

The snake is coming out of a lotus bloom.

The lotus is extremely white. In the morning sun, it has this "glow" if you will.

The "perfection" of Harsomptus, who emerges from the lotus blossom in the myth this is a representation of.

See here:

That same website has a pic of the earlier, true Egyptian representation of the same thing. The one this thread is talking about is actually a Greek interpretation.

Harte

Thanks so much for this link , Harte. It is the info I've been looking for :tu: but could not find less I spend half my life wading through rubbish to get to the gold. Man, I so love UM site.

I just can not understand why anyone sees these as light bulbs :no: . It is even more sad when some refuse to accept they are anything but, even when the Egyptian text next to the images states clearly what it all means!! This is why the North Korean Government doesn't permit the taking and publishing of incomplete photos of signs/writings or photos. It is so easy to mislead people by only showing part of a picture or script. Many are too lazy to do their own research or even question where the rest of the picture is!! Just believe everything they are told without question.

It is a really good feeling to now know what the entire picture means. Like, I did not accept that there were beings walking around that were literally half man and half beast. I could only see these images as depictions of gods being explained by their attributes by drawing them as human with beast head. Or that perhaps sometimes the priests wore animal head dresses like the American Indians did and still do. It is nice to know I have been on the right track.

When I look at the two small 'light bulbs' sitting side by side I see a snake climbing up a bush that is growing in a coiled terracotta pot, if I try not to think about the Egyptian side of things, lol.

Again, light bulbs are difficult to make and need a power source. There are no ancient light bulbs lying around either in Egypt or Baghdad. And I am sure at least one would have survived in all the hundreds of dig sites around the ME.

• Like 1