Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

France: holidaymakers have to carry a

Still Waters

Ok, I gotta ask.. What are headlight converters for driving on the right?

Yeah, that's my U.S. ignorance speaking. If someone came into my shop asking for headlight converters I would think it's a gag part like directional fluid or muffler bearings.

• Like 2

Years ago, my husband was detected driving above speed limit on the Paris périphérique ring. Within weeks he got his ticket where he was working in the middle of the Nigerian jungle! Never underestimate the tenacity of the lumbering French bureaucracy, if they want you, and especially if there is money involved, they will reach you wherever you are. Yes one should not drink and drive, and in theory the breathalyzer sounds like a good idea, but I agree with Paracelse, it is mainly a scheme to add a bit more revenue particularly from summer tourists. Neighboring countries do not have such a requirement and that does not seem to have an adverse effect on their rate of road accidents.

Specifically when the owner of the company that makes those thingy is a friend of the guy who passes the law. where's the money?

Yeah, that's my U.S. ignorance speaking. If someone came into my shop asking for headlight converters I would think it's a gag part like directional fluid or muffler bearings.

You and me both .. :P

In any case, this thing can be fought in court if you happen to drive a car not licensed in France, at least according to the Vienna protocol, there it is specified that the car and its equipment has to meet the local country's specifications, not the host country's.

France, as most of the civilized world, has signed that protocol.

Regarding headlight converters......

We 'stupid' British drive on the correct side of the road, the left side, Dipped headlights are designed to deflect off to the nearside of the road in order that oncoming drivers are not dazzled. Headlight deflectors ensure that when dipped, the light is deflected in the opposite direction to normal. So, when driving on the wrong side of the road, as in Europe, oncoming drivers are not dazzled.

Just for info, the reason we drive on the correct side of the road goes way back in history to when we rode into battle on horseback. Most people are right handed, therefore would be holding their sword in their right hand. In order to have the most efffective attack,, the horses need to pass each other in such a manner that the right handed swordsman can strike his opponant, which means the horses have to be ridden to the left of the oncoming horseman.

As for this topic, I was a little flippant in my first post regarding the use of spare headlights. Had the poster said spare headlight bulbs, then i would not have commented as i did. I do apologise to the poster :)

And as for breathalysers, the necessity to carry them in the vehicle in France is rather a silly law. What if the driver of the vehicle never drinks alcohol? Is this a defence to not carrying one?

The need to carry one in order to test yourself merely gives you a false sense of security and different people's metabolisms work in different ways. Sometimes it takes quite a while for the alcohol level to rise in the body. Sometimes it occurs very quickly. Testing yourself is only an indicator that you may be below the limit. On the other hand, you may not be by the time you are stopped and officially tested :)

As other have said here. It is typical of the French government trying to get more money out of unsuspecting tourists.

eidt to add

Edited by Englishgent

...if my breathalyser says I have had too many then I simply get the bus or a taxi - possibly another life saved!!

If you need to use a breathalyser to see if you're safe to drive, you probably shouldn't be considering driving in the first place.

• Like 2

In any case, this thing can be fought in court if you happen to drive a car not licensed in France, at least according to the Vienna protocol, there it is specified that the car and its equipment has to meet the local country's specifications, not the host country's.

France, as most of the civilized world, has signed that protocol.

The fine is 11 euros to be paid directly to the police officer who will collect the cash and any refutal coud be considered "outrage a agent" comptent of police officer and follow"ed by arrest. Where did you ever see France being the ,most civilized country in the world? Is that a cruel joke for those forced to live here?

darrn azerty keyboard

Edited by Paracelse

Dude every body is s'posed to have in France not just tourists.. and if you had read the link I posted above the guy who proposed the law to former pres narkozy works for the cie that was in financial trouble before the law

well then for the french it's just extra tax and for tourists it's extra tourism tax, kay ?

The fine is 11 euros to be paid directly to the police officer who will collect the cash and any refutal coud be considered "outrage a agent" comptent of police officer and follow"ed by arrest. Where did you ever see France being the ,most civilized country in the world? Is that a cruel joke for those forced to live here?

darrn azerty keyboard

Haven't been in France for a while with a car (at least 13 years), but I love to fight the French bureaucracy when I am right. Had one thingy go all the way to a European court and won (they stopped me for speeding but let the French guy who passed me at that moment go... and kept the picture!)

Haven't been in France for a while with a car (at least 13 years), but I love to fight the French bureaucracy when I am right. Had one thingy go all the way to a European court and won (they stopped me for speeding but let the French guy who passed me at that moment go... and kept the picture!)

I'm here because I care for an elderly mother (my French half of Polish/German ancestry) so going to jail for 48hrs isn't something I'm really interested in. I did once tell a cop he was a liar in front of his superior who knew he was lying (he told me I did a California stop and gave me a ticket) I told him he was a disgrace to his uniform and the only reason he didn't arrest me was because I told him I wanted to call the US embassy in Paris and that I could get Tom Tom GPS company to verify I did stop for real. But he mailed the ticket to my mother's address. French cops are paid very little, and they make bonuses if the exceed their monthly ticket quota, which technically push them to lie either to achieve that quota if their are fairly honest and to exceed that quota if they are **** hole. Well sorry to say most of them are jerks. They feel gutsy in front of drivers and run away from real criminals.

Edited by Paracelse