Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained Water spots in bed?!?!?

krista217

Background: Moved into the house on 31 May 10, myself, 5 year old daughter, and 2 yer old german shepherd. On multiple occasions prior to this tracking process, I found my daughter’s bed with a wet spot in the middle similar to the incident logged below on 11 Feb. There were no cups in the room, the ceiling had no wet spots, my daughter has not peed the bed since she was 2, and the windows were locked shut. In addition, several bed time stuffed animals have disappeared (last recollection of being seen was her going to bed with them). I recall many specific animals that have gone M.I.A. and to this day still have not been found (even after numerous thorough searches of the entire house).

Dec 3, 2011

Approximately 7:00am

Setting: As in the past, I set my daughter’s clothes out on the foot of her bed to wear the next morning. She woke up at 5:30am and got in bed with me. She and I woke up together around 7 and walked into her room. The dog was in my room with door shut all night and he did not get out until I opened door around 7 and he went straight to back door – never went in my daughters room.

Occurrence: My daughter’s clothes at the foot of her bed were wet, not completely drenched but enough to see the distinction/discoloration of wet vs dry . The floor at the foot of the bed had RECENT splattered wet spots on it. It appeared that someone took a glass of water and poured it on top of the clothes, splattering excess water on the floor. Again, no cups or anything holding water was in her room, ceiling was dry.

Jan 9, 2012

Approximately 10:00pm

Setting: My friend was in the garage smoking, the dog was laying on the floor next to him, my daughter and I were upstairs in her room getting ready for bed.

Occurrence: He distinctly heard a voice say “DAD” – enough that he turned to look who was calling him.

Feb 11, 2012

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/krista217/2012-02-11_22-24-40_4.jpg

Setting: My daughter’s bed was made after she woke up in the morning, to include putting her 2 stuffed animals on top. The 3 people in the house had left at 12:30pm and the dog was put in his crate. We got home around 10:00pm, the dog still in his crate, and my daughter went to her room to change clothes. She was in there approximately 5 minutes before I came in, but the bed was still made when I walked in.

Occurrence: I pulled the covers back to put my daughter to bed and there was a huge wet spot in the middle ofher bed (see link for pic) and the stuffed animals that were on top of it when we left were missing. The TOP cover was dry, but the second cover, fitted sheet, mattress protector and mattress were wet. The mattress and sheets were still VERY wet - when I laid a towel over it to dry it up the towel quickly got wet. I flipped the mattress over and the other side was dry. I searched the house thoroughly but never found the stuffed animals.

Feb 12, 2012

Approximately 11:00pm

Setting: I was sitting on couch, dog at my feet laying down, daughter was sleeping in her bedroom with door closed (I could see her door remained shut the entire time).

Occurrence: My bedroom door shut by itself, enough to fully latch (the noise of the latch is what caught my attention.) I immediately looked down the hall and saw nothing. Doors have never closed by themselves unless a window was open, which was not the case today. You have to push the door with some force for it to shut/latch completely.

Feb 17, 2012

Approximately 11:30pm

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/krista217/2012-02-18_08-13-35_652.jpg

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/krista217/2012-02-18_08-13-13_56.jpg

Setting: I woke up at 7am, left for work, came home with a migraine and slept from 12:30 til 1:30. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary. The dog was not in my room, neither were any kids. I have had these same high quality sheets for approximately 3 years and they’ve never shown signs of wear and/or tear.

Occurrence: When I went to lay down, the covers were pulled up to the top and I did not visually notice anything different. I turned the lights out and as soon as I got in bed I felt torn covers at my feet (my toes had gotten “stuck” in them). So I got up and turned the light on and pulled back the covers and noticed the fitted sheet with these large scratches (see links for pics). These scratch marks were not there at 1:30 when I was last in bed, and nobody/nothing had been in the room prior to me going to bed.

• Like 1

Background: Moved into the house on 31 May 10, myself, 5 year old daughter, and 2 yer old german shepherd. On multiple occasions prior to this tracking process, I found my daughter’s bed with a wet spot in the middle similar to the incident logged below on 11 Feb. There were no cups in the room, the ceiling had no wet spots, my daughter has not peed the bed since she was 2, and the windows were locked shut. In addition, several bed time stuffed animals have disappeared (last recollection of being seen was her going to bed with them). I recall many specific animals that have gone M.I.A. and to this day still have not been found (even after numerous thorough searches of the entire house).

Dec 3, 2011

Approximately 7:00am

Setting: As in the past, I set my daughter’s clothes out on the foot of her bed to wear the next morning. She woke up at 5:30am and got in bed with me. She and I woke up together around 7 and walked into her room. The dog was in my room with door shut all night and he did not get out until I opened door around 7 and he went straight to back door – never went in my daughters room.

Occurrence: My daughter’s clothes at the foot of her bed were wet, not completely drenched but enough to see the distinction/discoloration of wet vs dry . The floor at the foot of the bed had RECENT splattered wet spots on it. It appeared that someone took a glass of water and poured it on top of the clothes, splattering excess water on the floor. Again, no cups or anything holding water was in her room, ceiling was dry.

Jan 9, 2012

Setting: My friend was in the garage smoking, the dog was laying on the floor next to him, my daughter and I were upstairs in her room getting ready for bed.

Occurrence: He distinctly heard a voice say “DAD” – enough that he turned to look who was calling him.

Feb 11, 2012

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/krista217/2012-02-11_22-24-40_4.jpg

Setting: My daughter’s bed was made after she woke up in the morning, to include putting her 2 stuffed animals on top. The 3 people in the house had left at 12:30pm and the dog was put in his crate. We got home around 10:00pm, the dog still in his crate, and my daughter went to her room to change clothes. She was in there approximately 5 minutes before I came in, but the bed was still made when I walked in.

Occurrence: I pulled the covers back to put my daughter to bed and there was a huge wet spot in the middle ofher bed (see link for pic) and the stuffed animals that were on top of it when we left were missing. The TOP cover was dry, but the second cover, fitted sheet, mattress protector and mattress were wet. The mattress and sheets were still VERY wet - when I laid a towel over it to dry it up the towel quickly got wet. I flipped the mattress over and the other side was dry. I searched the house thoroughly but never found the stuffed animals.

Feb 12, 2012

Approximately 11:00pm

Setting: I was sitting on couch, dog at my feet laying down, daughter was sleeping in her bedroom with door closed (I could see her door remained shut the entire time).

Occurrence: My bedroom door shut by itself, enough to fully latch (the noise of the latch is what caught my attention.) I immediately looked down the hall and saw nothing. Doors have never closed by themselves unless a window was open, which was not the case today. You have to push the door with some force for it to shut/latch completely.

Feb 17, 2012

Approximately 11:30pm

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/krista217/2012-02-18_08-13-35_652.jpg

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx339/krista217/2012-02-18_08-13-13_56.jpg

Setting: I woke up at 7am, left for work, came home with a migraine and slept from 12:30 til 1:30. I did not notice anything out of the ordinary. The dog was not in my room, neither were any kids. I have had these same high quality sheets for approximately 3 years and they’ve never shown signs of wear and/or tear.

Occurrence: When I went to lay down, the covers were pulled up to the top and I did not visually notice anything different. I turned the lights out and as soon as I got in bed I felt torn covers at my feet (my toes had gotten “stuck” in them). So I got up and turned the light on and pulled back the covers and noticed the fitted sheet with these large scratches (see links for pics). These scratch marks were not there at 1:30 when I was last in bed, and nobody/nothing had been in the room prior to me going to bed.

Some options. Move out! Rearrange the bed furniture! Setup a video cam. Put sheets on the floor covered in talc in case something leaves foot prints. Get some plastic sheets so the mattress isnt ruined. Say a prayer and bless the house or get a priest in! FILM IT THO!!

edit: and keep one of the wet items sealed in a ziplock bag for evidence/analysis rather than just wash it and remove any evidence!

Edited by bouncer

Thanks for the feedback!!

A) Move out - can't give up that easy! ;-)

B) Rearrange furniture - I have swapped mattresses with the one in the guest room - curious to see if it will happen again and if so, to which bed. Next step is to move the furniture around in the room. The occurences are so random, some times twice a week it happens, some times months apart!!

C) Video Cam - I am SO scared to know what this would find and I'm afraid if it is a ghost of sorts this would be taken as an "invitation" or an acceptance of the behavior and that's the last thing I want.

D) Check footprints - again because we have gone months with nothing happening this (at this point) is too tedious and messy.

E) I pray about it every night but not ready to do much more and risk making it mad and things getting worse!

hi, have you been in contact with a priest or medium and ask them to visit your home ?

No, I have not done anything outside of keeping a record of anything strange that happens. Whatever is happening is weird for sure, but not harmful (yet) so right now I just want to know wtf is going on.

Interesting. Down town Frederick? Or more like Buckeystown? There are some really old houses around there or are you in a newer house? I'm out in Poolesville and we hear odd things about some old homes out here, a lot of them are older than the civil war :ph34r:

I live on the outskirts of downtown Frederick. My house was built in 1981 and I'm not aware of anybody dying in the house or other things happening, but then again I don't know much history about it in general.

B) Rearrange furniture - I have swapped mattresses with the one in the guest room - curious to see if it will happen again and if so, to which bed. Next step is to move the furniture around in the room. The occurences are so random, some times twice a week it happens, some times months apart!!

C) Video Cam - I am SO scared to know what this would find and I'm afraid if it is a ghost of sorts this would be taken as an "invitation" or an acceptance of the behavior and that's the last thing I want.

D) Check footprints - again because we have gone months with nothing happening this (at this point) is too tedious and messy.

E) I pray about it every night but not ready to do much more and risk making it mad and things getting worse!

So you dont want to do the simplest thing to see whats going on? Youd rather just theorize about the most improbable things it may be. Sounds like youre afraid of finding out that its something ordinary and mundane.

Edited by vitruvian12

If you believe this is paranormal, try speaking to whatever is doing this. tell it that you know it is there and would it please stop doing these things. or ask it why it is doing these things. This may sound silly, but it will show whatever is there that you are not afraid of it, (even if you are) Also, talking to it might calm down any fears you may have. I would definitely advise trying to get something on film. if you know a good medium, maybe they could come in and help.

I dont think you need worry about preists and the like at this stage. If there is no natural explanation, whatever is there is probably just being playful rather than malevolent. :)

Sounds somewhat similar to another poster that was on here a few months ago. In fact when I read your post, I initially thought you were updating the story, but then I saw you joined yesterday.

What you're saying does seem strange, but there are also many mundane explanations that should be considered before anything paranormal.

Some questions I'd ask:

-are you 100% sure your daughter or the dog isn't doing some of this stuff.

-does your roof leak? you said the house was built in 1981. does it still have the original roof? in my experience, water leaks can do some really strange things.

-as for your smoking friend, you say you live in the outskirts of downtown - could someone have simply been outside and said "dad"

-as for the sheets, 3 years is about the useful life for a set of sheets and those photos look like they just wore out. You said you went to sleep with a migraine. If the sheets were worn, you could have easily tore them yourself while moving in your sleep.

Just a few things to consider.

So you dont want to do the simplest thing to see whats going on? Youd rather just theorize about the most improbable things it may be. Sounds like youre afraid of finding out that its something ordinary and mundane.

I don't see how video taping several rooms of my house 24/7/365 would be considered the "simplest thing" to do!! It would be very expensive and time consuming, not to mention these things happen at such random points I could film for months and get nothing. That's a lot of wasted recording/time/money!! And I don't feel like I'm theorizing about anything improbable...hence the post!! I am looking for insight as to what it may be, physical or supernatural. I would LOVE to find out that it's something ordinary and mundane actually, I would much rather my house NOT have a supernatural entity...BUT given the facts and being the one experiencing these things and analyzing the situation, I have not found anything that proves this is "ordinary."

-are you 100% sure your daughter or the dog isn't doing some of this stuff.

-does your roof leak? you said the house was built in 1981. does it still have the original roof? in my experience, water leaks can do some really strange things.

-as for your smoking friend, you say you live in the outskirts of downtown - could someone have simply been outside and said "dad"

-as for the sheets, 3 years is about the useful life for a set of sheets and those photos look like they just wore out. You said you went to sleep with a migraine. If the sheets were worn, you could have easily tore them yourself while moving in your sleep.

I greatly appreciate the feedback and suggestions!!

-At first I blamed my daughter but it's happen so frequently and often when no one has been in the room that it just is not logical that it's her or the dog.

-I am not aware of my roof leaking, and the wet bed happens when it's sunny outside and does not happen when it's pouring down rain. Also, there are no water stains on the ceiling and when I notice the sheets still very wet, I've felt the ceiling and it's completely dry to the touch.

-Yes it's possible my firend heard someone from outside, but the garage door was closed and my driveway is fairly long so they'd had to been close to the garage door to have sounded so clear. But, at the same time, I can't say much more about this one since I didn't experience it first-hand.

-I do realize sheets get old and tear and I can't 100% rule out the possibility that I tore them with my feet and didn't realize it, but I am not a restless sleeper and I woke up in the same position as when I laid down. For them to go from having NO tear at 12:30 to being that shredded just an hour later seems really odd to me if it's something I did in my sleep.

I don't see how video taping several rooms of my house 24/7/365 would be considered the "simplest thing" to do!! It would be very expensive and time consuming, not to mention these things happen at such random points I could film for months and get nothing. That's a lot of wasted recording/time/money!! And I don't feel like I'm theorizing about anything improbable...hence the post!! I am looking for insight as to what it may be, physical or supernatural. I would LOVE to find out that it's something ordinary and mundane actually, I would much rather my house NOT have a supernatural entity...BUT given the facts and being the one experiencing these things and analyzing the situation, I have not found anything that proves this is "ordinary."

A few mid-range webcams hooked up to a PC with free motion sensing software is all it would take...

Easy, cheap, no maintenance required. Just check the playback after the 'wet spots' reappear.

This is probably the easiest and least time consuming solution. Apart from randomly witnessing it taking place, but if that hasn't happened yet then it's probably unlikely to.

Edit: And going by your OP, it would be a matter of days, not months, before you caught it on film.

Edited by Timonthy

If you believe this is paranormal, try speaking to whatever is doing this. tell it that you know it is there and would it please stop doing these things. or ask it why it is doing these things. This may sound silly, but it will show whatever is there that you are not afraid of it, (even if you are) Also, talking to it might calm down any fears you may have. I would definitely advise trying to get something on film. if you know a good medium, maybe they could come in and help.

I dont think you need worry about preists and the like at this stage. If there is no natural explanation, whatever is there is probably just being playful rather than malevolent. :)

Thanks for the feedback! I'm not really sure what to believe. The things happening are "earthly" things that in theory could be explained by the dog, the kid, a leak, etc., BUT in my personal situation I have not been able to prove that any of those caused these things to happen. I get a bit creeped out, especially in the bedrooms, but I think that's just an uneasy feeling from what's happened...overall I feel very safe and comfortable in my house. IF it is something paranormal, I agree that it's being playful in a sense and is not trying to harm us - which is why I haven't pursued anything and am just trying to get some feedback or shared experiences to see what may be happening.

A few mid-range webcams hooked up to a PC with free motion sensing software is all it would take...

Easy, cheap, no maintenance required. Just check the playback after the 'wet spots' reappear.

This is probably the easiest and least time consuming solution. Apart from randomly witnessing it taking place, but if that hasn't happened yet then it's probably unlikely to.

Good suggestion...but I only have one desktop computer and it is in the corner of the living room, far from the bedrooms (and nothing has happened in this room, it's probably the MOST comfortable room in my house!) I do not have an extra laptop that I could hook the webcams up to. And the wet spots would not trigger the motion sensing software. Do they have wireless webcams that would range to a different room, and would record constantly and I could just erase and re-record the next day???

Good suggestion...but I only have one desktop computer and it is in the corner of the living room, far from the bedrooms (and nothing has happened in this room, it's probably the MOST comfortable room in my house!) I do not have an extra laptop that I could hook the webcams up to. And the wet spots would not trigger the motion sensing software. Do they have wireless webcams that would range to a different room, and would record constantly and I could just erase and re-record the next day???

You can get USB extension cables, I've seem up to about 40m in a local computer store. Last I saw 20m will cost ~$40AU. Maybe cheaper on eBay or elsewhere.

There are decent wireless webcams for under $100 but I haven't used them, you could do a quick search on Google to see what's out there.

Also as for the motion sensing software, there is some pretty sophisticated software out there. I've used a program called i-Catcher - It can account for variable lighting conditions so if the brightness in the room is constantly changing that won't trigger the recording.

You're also able to specify certain areas of the video to monitor, and set the movement trigger levels separately. So as long as you have a decent quality webcam it can pick up very minor movements/changes in the video and start recording.

I'm sure there would also be free programs which delete video after set times - so that could be an option too.

It's past my bed time! Hope this helps, I would be interested to see the results!!!!!

It seems a lot of the things occured in your daughters room. You wouldnt need to video the whole house for a year. I dont see where the huge expense is in putting a home video camera in her room and trying for a few nights. I think youre exaggerating the effort required. You say you have not found anything that proves this to be "ordinary", but you have done nothing to determine that, nor are you willing to try it seems. That doesnt sound like much of an investigation.

You can get USB extension cables, I've seem up to about 40m in a local computer store. Last I saw 20m will cost ~$40AU. Maybe cheaper on eBay or elsewhere.

There are decent wireless webcams for under $100 but I haven't used them, you could do a quick search on Google to see what's out there.

Also as for the motion sensing software, there is some pretty sophisticated software out there. I've used a program called i-Catcher - It can account for variable lighting conditions so if the brightness in the room is constantly changing that won't trigger the recording.

You're also able to specify certain areas of the video to monitor, and set the movement trigger levels separately. So as long as you have a decent quality webcam it can pick up very minor movements/changes in the video and start recording.

I'm sure there would also be free programs which delete video after set times - so that could be an option too.

It's past my bed time! Hope this helps, I would be interested to see the results!!!!!

Thanks Timothy...I'll check into it and post the results!!

I usually get called a meany ******* for saying this, but here goes:

You seem to be fairly convinced that you have something paranormal going on in your house.

Being able to prove that such activity is happening - thus proving the existence of the paranormal - will bring you untold fame and fortune.

Isn't that worth the investment in a few video cameras, some other tech gear, and your time?

I greatly appreciate the feedback and suggestions!!

-At first I blamed my daughter but it's happen so frequently and often when no one has been in the room that it just is not logical that it's her or the dog. Could someone be gaining access to your house - have you talked with the police?

-I am not aware of my roof leaking, and the wet bed happens when it's sunny outside and does not happen when it's pouring down rain. Also, there are no water stains on the ceiling and when I notice the sheets still very wet, I've felt the ceiling and it's completely dry to the touch. that's actually not unusual. you can literally have a pinhole in the ceiling and never notice any wetness. didn't you just have a hurricane come through down there in August - roof damage?

-Yes it's possible my firend heard someone from outside, but the garage door was closed and my driveway is fairly long so they'd had to been close to the garage door to have sounded so clear. But, at the same time, I can't say much more about this one since I didn't experience it first-hand. driveway lengths, etc. aside, it seems much more logical to me than a ghost

-I do realize sheets get old and tear and I can't 100% rule out the possibility that I tore them with my feet and didn't realize it, but I am not a restless sleeper and I woke up in the same position as when I laid down. For them to go from having NO tear at 12:30 to being that shredded just an hour later seems really odd to me if it's something I did in my sleep. again, a much easier to swallow explanation than ghosties or demons

@ Rafterman - I am simply convinced that these things happening in my house are unexplained! I'm not saying it's paranormal, I'm not saying it's not - but for my personatl situation the logical explanations don't add up. Yes I would like to know what's going on, but "a few video cameras and tech gear" is not cheap and as a single mom supporing my family 100% on my own, no it's not worth the investment. I have no interest in fame or fortune from these events...I just thought posting my experience here would provide some possible solutions to what's going on, or even more so to see if other people have had similar experiences.

-No I have not called the police - doesn't seem like that would be appropriate. All windows and doors are locked, my German Shepherd is trained to notify me of an intruder, and the very few people that have access to my house would not do these things.

-So if there is a pinhole leak with no obvious water damage or wetness on the ceiling, wouldn't the leak be contained to the same area each time (no I'm not being a smart ass, I am genuinely asking)? The vicinity is the same but some times the water is at the very foot of her bed and some times it's at the very top.

-I realize an outside voice is more logical than a ghost, I never denied that! But it still was an odd occurence (among all these other things) that I thought worthy of noting.

-And again, I do realize the logic behind "I did this in my sleep"...and I've already said I didn't 100% rule it out....but in 31 years of life and many cheaper sheet sets than what I have now, and many lasting more than 3 years, and this one having no obvious signs of wear previously, I just find that answer doubtful.

@ Rafterman - I am simply convinced that these things happening in my house are unexplained!

Its simple to convince yourself its unexplained when you make no effort to find an explanation.

@ Rafterman - I am simply convinced that these things happening in my house are unexplained! I'm not saying it's paranormal, I'm not saying it's not - but for my personatl situation the logical explanations don't add up. Yes I would like to know what's going on, but "a few video cameras and tech gear" is not cheap and as a single mom supporing my family 100% on my own, no it's not worth the investment. I have no interest in fame or fortune from these events...I just thought posting my experience here would provide some possible solutions to what's going on, or even more so to see if other people have had similar experiences. Have you searched out the other waterspot threads I mentioned - they're relatively recent.

-No I have not called the police - doesn't seem like that would be appropriate. All windows and doors are locked, my German Shepherd is trained to notify me of an intruder, and the very few people that have access to my house would not do these things. Locked or not, if things were consistently disappearing from my home, that's the first thing I'd do.

-So if there is a pinhole leak with no obvious water damage or wetness on the ceiling, wouldn't the leak be contained to the same area each time (no I'm not being a smart ass, I am genuinely asking)? The vicinity is the same but some times the water is at the very foot of her bed and some times it's at the very top. nope, that's why roof leaks are some of the most difficult to diagnose and address

-I realize an outside voice is more logical than a ghost, I never denied that! But it still was an odd occurence (among all these other things) that I thought worthy of noting.

-And again, I do realize the logic behind "I did this in my sleep"...and I've already said I didn't 100% rule it out....but in 31 years of life and many cheaper sheet sets than what I have now, and many lasting more than 3 years, and this one having no obvious signs of wear previously, I just find that answer doubtful. more doubtful than a ghostly wooly bugger tearing your sheets with its claws?

You come to a paranormal forum seeking answers to your problem, but you are afraid of what you'd see whats going on on video? I'm sorry - that makes no sense. A ghost doesn't give a crap whether you set up a camera or not. My guess is that once you set up a camera one of two things will happen: 1) the activity will stop. 2) you will see that there is some sort of rational explanation for the wet spots and disappearing animals that has nothing to do with anything paranormal. But maybe thats what you are wanting to avold. You wouldn't have much of a story to tell then, would you?

You come to a paranormal forum seeking answers to your problem, but you are afraid of what you'd see whats going on on video? I'm sorry - that makes no sense. A ghost doesn't give a crap whether you set up a camera or not. My guess is that once you set up a camera one of two things will happen: 1) the activity will stop. 2) you will see that there is some sort of rational explanation for the wet spots and disappearing animals that has nothing to do with anything paranormal. But maybe thats what you are wanting to avold. You wouldn't have much of a story to tell then, would you?

Yes I'm afraid of seeing animals lifting up and/or disappearing in my daughters room on their own - is that really such a strange concept??? If it was something I could just turn on and say Record I'd be all for it, but it takes a lot more time/money/effort than what many of you are giving credit!! I don't own a camera other than my phone, and I don't see how recording hours of footage on a standard tape would help. Next option is the webcam and as I've said I don't have a computer other than my desktop which isn't in my daughters room. Next option is wireless webcams with the ability to record 24 hours straight, erase, and record again, with a pretty good reception distance since the computer is completely across the house! How about instead of talking down to me you offer suggestions instead of criticism??? I've already said I am looking into the options of recording it...but when I posted this it was more for feedback on logical explanations and seeing if other people had same issues...I hadn't gotten so far as to physically investigate what is going on. I've done some things I can do around my house to try to see if it's leaking (i.e. move the bed) or if it's the mattress (i.e. change mattresses). And as I said before, I would LOVE to find it be normal and not paranormal...but you fail to recall that part obviously. I don't give a flying hoot about a story - if I just wanted to tell a story I wouldn't have gone here!!!!