Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Euthanizing Elderly With Macular Degeneration

Karlis

Visual impairment can sometimes become the primary reason to kill the elderly. The latest report from the Netherlands describes an elderly woman who was euthanized over macular degeneration and other often experienced symptoms of being elderly. arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilly

• and-then

• keithisco

• Taun

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that her onset of visual problems was just the "straw that broke the camel's back". I think euthanasia is a mercy for those in her condition. In fact she is the perfect example of the proper use of euthanasia in less than terminal patients who wish to die. Not only should this be an option, it will soon become a necessity for a couple of decades I think. The economic morass may linger for a generation and the boomers will create such a skewed demand for healthcare that budgets will not be able to accommodate it. Assisted suicide will become an option like never before. Proper safeguards should be put in place for special circumstances but I think it will soon be almost expected that when a person has outlived their usefulness and can no longer contribute then they will have a decision to make. They may even be viewed as selfish if they choose to live on and drain resources. Grand old world huh?

Yeah, after all these disabled elderly folks are only our parents and grandparents who worked hard and sacrificed so that the rest of us could have the standard of living we now enjoy. Sure, it's just fine that we guilt trip them into taking their own lives so that we can have more and more...*insert an absolutely huge amount of sarcasm*.

Yeah, after all these disabled elderly folks are only our parents and grandparents who worked hard and sacrificed so that the rest of us could have the standard of living we now enjoy. Sure, it's just fine that we guilt trip them into taking their own lives so that we can have more and more...*insert an absolutely huge amount of sarcasm*.

Please understand that I'm not in favor of the guilting. Just making an observation based on human nature and I hope I'm wrong.

From the link

At first she had tried to find all kinds of ways to cope with her limitations, but these had not proved sufficient for her to perceive her life as worthwhile. She felt trapped in her deteriorating body. Her present situation was due to her advancing age, and little or nothing could be done about it. She felt her life had lost all meaning.

To be able to die with dignity (self - perceived) is a great gift. She was mentally fully aware of her conditions, she did not want to live in these circumstances and chose a dignified exit.

Who are we (any of us) to say otherwise??

From the link

To be able to die with dignity (self - perceived) is a great gift. She was mentally fully aware of her conditions, she did not want to live in these circumstances and chose a dignified exit.

Who are we (any of us) to say otherwise??

Agreed, she had her reasons and this was her choice. She has the right to make that choice.

Please understand that I'm not in favor of the guilting. Just making an observation based on human nature and I hope I'm wrong.

I completely understood you weren't in favour of this...I was just supporting your idea that it could happen (knowing how some people are).

The main problem I can see will be 'concerned' relatives who talk the elderly into it 'for their own good'...

- and the inheritance...

The main problem I can see will be 'concerned' relatives who talk the elderly into it 'for their own good'...

- and the inheritance...

Bingo, exactly my fear. :yes:

*Taun, it appears we are the same age...perhaps why we have the same thought here?*

Edited by Lilly
addition

Bingo, exactly my fear. :yes:

*Taun, it appears we are the same age...perhaps why we have the same thought here?*

:lol: yeah maybe... Except I have no kids (greedy or otherwise) and not much to give them anyway!

Of course my nieces and nephews could try and 'do me in' just out of revenge - I am after all their favorite evil uncle....

Uh Oh...I got two kids! However, they both profess to love me...perhaps I'm safe? :unsure2:

That's how they get you..."sure mom, we love you..." and then you catch a cold...

:lol: yeah maybe... Except I have no kids (greedy or otherwise) and not much to give them anyway!

Of course my nieces and nephews could try and 'do me in' just out of revenge - I am after all their favorite evil uncle....

OH YEAH :devil:

That's how they get you..."sure mom, we love you..." and then you catch a cold...

*Makes note to self to never let Fluffy near my kids*

Just for information - and it is relevant - I have made a Living Will that states that under very specific circumstances I am not to be revived or have my life prolonged artificially. It is my earnest belief that this removes any guilt from my children, or wife, when a decision has to be made, because my Living Will supercedes any emotional attachment (or feelings of guilt) placed on my children, or wife.

Such a will will only hold up in court if a Psychiatric report prepared at the same time agrees that it was made when the person was under no duress or liable to persuasion from third parties.