Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The myth of the eight-hour sleep

Still Waters

I usually get about 7 hours of sleep per night.

I have sleep apnea and understand the importance of 'real' sleep. I've read many articles on sleep. I've even found some articles that state that the body can actually 'bank' sleep. I like to take naps on the weekends because I never know how much true sleep I will get at night. Without my CPAP machine I stop breathing for more than 30 seconds at a time, an average of 29 times per hour.

When a person that has sleep apnea has that happen they can actually be on the edge of slipping into a therapeutic sleep state and all of sudden stop breathing. The brain then wakes the body up to say "Hey, you're not breathing." The apnea sufferer doesn't even know that their body has woken up. They just drift off again and just hit that edge and stop breathing again. This cycle can continue on all night and the sleep apnea sufferer can wake up even after 10 hours of sleep feeling completely exhausted.

My CPAP machine (Darth Vader mask as I refer to it so I don't think I look so dorky while wearing it in my sleep) has really helped. It provides a positive air flow to keep my airway open an night and I get a more relaxing sleep. Sometimes it feels uncomfortable to wear but the overall benefits are worth it. The best feature is that my CPAP machine has a built in humidifier so I never wake up with that 'dry' throat or sinuses anymore.

My wife now gets better sleep as well because she doesn't have to listen to me snore all night. :D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• encouraged

• BiffSplitkins

• Wordless Wanderer

• Truth Seeker 2012

I usually get about 7 hours of sleep per night.

My CPAP machine (Darth Vader mask as I refer to it so I don't think I look so dorky while wearing it in my sleep) has really helped.

Dear Darth,

Well said! I am a 17 cm3 settings sleep apnea kind of guy! I would wake as if hit by a Mac truck during the night, being so tired from sleeping. My attempts to catch a breath led to knots in my hair every morning. I guess I would spin on my head or some other kind of break dancing! lol

Anyway, thanks for spotting the good moment for a little educational treatise!

Dear Darth,

Well said! I am a 17 cm3 settings sleep apnea kind of guy! I would wake as if hit by a Mac truck during the night, being so tired from sleeping. My attempts to catch a breath led to knots in my hair every morning. I guess I would spin on my head or some other kind of break dancing! lol

Anyway, thanks for spotting the good moment for a little educational treatise!

17 cm3 is pretty high isn't it? I think I'm only set at 8 cm3.

I try to educate all of my friends about sleep apnea. It's more common than people think. I even had my sister go get a sleep study done.

The CPAP helped me immensely but I was still lacking energy. Turns out I have an extremely low Vitamin D level as well. So now I take 5000 ui per day of Vitamin D and I'm noticing a difference.

I need about 6 hours to feel ok and about 7 to feel good. I actually can't sleep beyond 7 hours even if I want to. However, I do sleep 6 to 7 hours without fully waking up. It's kind of interesting how people vary in sleep patterns.

17 cm3 is pretty high isn't it? I think I'm only set at 8 cm3.

I try to educate all of my friends about sleep apnea. It's more common than people think. I even had my sister go get a sleep study done.

The CPAP helped me immensely but I was still lacking energy. Turns out I have an extremely low Vitamin D level as well. So now I take 5000 ui per day of Vitamin D and I'm noticing a difference.

Yeah, when my wife's fifth meditarsol in her left foot was broken--Dancer's Break the call it--the pedodiatrist said he was glad she was taking mega-calciun with vitamine D so the calcium would be abundently absorbed. (Her bone density has returned now.) Then he said to me, "I want you to start taking the same dose as well. So I have! I hope to get some colon benefits as well.

Insomnia is one of the worst things that can ever happen to you.

The '8' Hour sleep thing is bull****. You wake up in the night because you're body and mind tells you too because after that you've finished you're sleep.

No matter what time it is.