Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Syria Almost a democracy

the-Unexpected-Soul

Hello every one

our new constitution has been released to the public and within 10 days we will be voting for it, that's in 27/2

and so our new constitution have almost every thing we protested for,

Most importantly the government form, now it's allowed for other partys to be formed

and the president must be elected democratically, also the president can only rule for two periods

that's extremely amazing I'm so happy about this

Hello every one

our new constitution has been released to the public and within 10 days we will be voting for it, that's in 27/2

Most importantly the government form, now it's allowed for other partys to be formed

and the president must be elected democratically, also the president can only rule for two periods

So Assad is gone? I must have missed that on the news. Or maybe it was sandwiched in between the scenes of babies dying from their shrapnel wounds or western reporters being executed by artillery. What's happening there is an offense against decency and humanity. It won't be long now before the hunted become the hunters.

All the best for you and your people and hopefully those promises will be kept. And that the terror will now stop as well.

May I ask how long one legislature period will be? Do you already have opposing parties? 10 days would not be enough to agree on a party platform.

Edit: Did this get out just now? I can't find anything on the news. The newest reports are about the Syria-Conference held tomorrow and Assad still attacking Homs.

Edited by FLOMBIE

So Assad is gone? I must have missed that on the news. Or maybe it was sandwiched in between the scenes of babies dying from their shrapnel wounds or western reporters being executed by artillery. What's happening there is an offense against decency and humanity. It won't be long now before the hunted become the hunters.

what a complete deluded person you are, i don't no how much time it will take to convince the collective deluded people in the earth

that President Bashar Al Assad has to be one of the best politicians in the world, i bet no other politician could have dealt with the

situation better than him, he is like the Syrian version of Ron Paul,

first off, he is the one who responded to the peaceful protestors and ordered to start writing the new constitution, and he insisted

on limiting the presidency to 2 periods , because first it was limitless, and he said that he didn't like to find the word "ever" in the constitution

meanwhile he was kicking Ass against Most of the world whom tried to bring the Nato to Syria and make it another Iraq

and the outsider terrorists whom started entering syria from every where, you have: Chechens Qataris Kuwaitis Muslim Brotherhood and Salafi terrorists, Al Qaeda, Israel, France, America, Arab Gulf States, All united for the sole gole which to bring down my government, to make my country

another milking goat for their interests, but thank god our army is kicking their asses one after another on our soil, and Al Assad is proofing

every one is wrong by being honest and sticking to principles

that's us vs the world

and so now we made our democracy by our hands we don't need any one, that was a true win for president bashar al Assad and the Syrian people, for

the history to remember

All the best for you and your people and hopefully those promises will be kept. And that the terror will now stop as well.

thank you, i hope we end the violence and become the country of safety like we used to call our self's

May I ask how long one legislature period will be?

7 years for one period, and it's long i know, but it's suitable for our country at this time.

Do you already have opposing parties?

we already had another parties but they didn't have the right to actually rule the country before

10 days would not be enough to agree on a party platform.

we are Trying to act as fast as possible, even the Committee asked for 6 months to write the new constitution but they were only

given 4 monthes

Edit: Did this get out just now? I can't find anything on the news. The newest reports are about the Syria-Conference held tomorrow and Assad still attacking Homs.

No it happened couple of days ago, the world media is outrageously lieing about almost every thing in Syria i can assure you that about 95%

of the news on Syria especially the violence related is fabricated to make the Syrian army look like it's killing it's people

while infact it's our army who is protecting us from armed mindless terrorists whom only want to bring down the government and they never asked

for freedom or democracy,

Edited by the-Unexpected-Soul

President Bashar Al Assad has to be one of the best politicians in the world, i bet no other politician could have dealt with the

situation better than him

I'm fairly sure no other politician would decided to shell civilians because they oppose the government or shoot protestors because they disagree with the government.

Stop deluding yourself. Knight has. Perhaps you should take a leaf out of his book.

Well hopefully this starts the path towards bringing the country back together. I very much doubt it will happen with the army still killing people but one can always hope.

what a complete deluded person you are, i don't no how much time it will take to convince the collective deluded people in the earth

that President Bashar Al Assad has to be one of the best politicians in the world, i bet no other politician could have dealt with the

situation better than him, he is like the Syrian version of Ron Paul,

first off, he is the one who responded to the peaceful protestors and ordered to start writing the new constitution, and he insisted

on limiting the presidency to 2 periods , because first it was limitless, and he said that he didn't like to find the word "ever" in the constitution

meanwhile he was kicking Ass against Most of the world whom tried to bring the Nato to Syria and make it another Iraq

and the outsider terrorists whom started entering syria from every where, you have: Chechens Qataris Kuwaitis Muslim Brotherhood and Salafi terrorists, Al Qaeda, Israel, France, America, Arab Gulf States, All united for the sole gole which to bring down my government, to make my country

another milking goat for their interests, but thank god our army is kicking their asses one after another on our soil, and Al Assad is proofing

every one is wrong by being honest and sticking to principles

that's us vs the world

and so now we made our democracy by our hands we don't need any one, that was a true win for president bashar al Assad and the Syrian people, for

the history to remember

Why aren't international journalists allowed to verify what you are saying? And are you in Damascus?

Because they are all lying and forced into line. Unlike the Syrian state media. :rolleyes:

It's just infuriating. Last night I was watching Mosaic Middle East news and they showed a baby dying from a shrapnel wound. If I could get to the man who caused that I'd kill him with my bare hands. It was absolutely heartbreaking to watch the child's mother wailing as he breathed his last breaths...

Assad is an animal but I get that he's in survival mode now. It's the Russians I blame - they're making it all possible. :angry: :angry:

I saw that, too. Horrible to watch. But I don't kill, no exception. I can understand your feelings, though.

But is it really the Russians to blame? If he wouldn't have bought Russian weapons, they'd come from another source, probably even from Germany or the US.

I saw that, too. Horrible to watch. But I don't kill, no exception. I can understand your feelings, though.

But is it really the Russians to blame? If he wouldn't have bought Russian weapons, they'd come from another source, probably even from Germany or the US.

It's not so much the weapons. Russia has only one naval base outside Russia and it's in Syria. And, Russia is trying to reclaim it's position of power and "respect" in the world and by forcing the US and the West to stay out of Syria they think they are accomplishing their goals. But I think it's going to backfire on them. Most of the Arabs are really beginning to lose any faith in Russia and some even are beginning too hate them.

As to the weapons - you're right. Given the right incentives the US might very well have sold Assad the weapons. But who could have imagined the man would be such a monster, Maybe I'm just too naive.

I think this conflict will devolve into a regional war. If the West intervenes and Assad is about to be overthrown I think he will attack Israel with chemical weapons. Then the whole region is on fire.

Hey didn't you support Assad? I remember "Armed terrorist gang" and you said something like Assad made Syria the worlds safest nation in the world. <_<

Another 100 died today, including 14 children. We're on the cusp of something game changing here.... The UN is proven impotent, the Arabs just wait on others to bear the burden, Russia and China drop all semblance of morality. Eventually arms will flow into Syria for the FSA and the numbers of dead will go even higher, though many will be Syrian army deaths. When Assad is finally defeated the victors won't have much to claim...maybe not even a capitol city. And all this because of the ego of one man.

It is just an illusion of democracy. He will still keep power and continue to fight the freedom fighters. The OP said their are only small groups of terrorists. How come over 3000 people dead, many women and children. Were they terrorists as well. You are either a troll or a victim of propaganda. If Assad has nothing to hide why are journalists dying and being stopped from reporting. How come the inspectors that only wanted to observe were so severely restricted as to making observations impossible. Assad is ye new Saddam.

Edited by bulveye

Thank you for that Flombie. I pray for them all that the butchery can be stopped soon without yet worse evil happening to them.

Hello every one

American Revolutionary War 1775-1783 Total Deaths: 25,000

Combatants 8,000 Other 17,000

American Civil War 1861- 1865 Total Deaths: approx 625,000

Combatants Union: 140,414. Other: 224,097 Total: 364,511

Combatants Confed: 72, 524. Other: 187,476 Total: approx 260,000

Some estimate 700,000 could have died during the four years of Civil war.

Mexican-American War 1846-1848 Total Deaths: 13,283

Combatants: 1,733. Other: 11,550

The Syrians are intelligent people like any other nation. If Assad was so bad why have they not taken to the streets in the tens and thousands like the Egyptians did. I do not buy into any reasons like Assad has tanks and missles he can throw at the populace. The Egyptians stood their grounds when faced with tanks, planes and missiles. They did not run away and ask the world to come to their rescue. It was their gripe with their government and they won in the end and there was not a huge amount of blood shed like there could have been. In fact when someone was killed they were more determined to stand their ground so the deaths of their loved was not invain. Today the Egyptians can and do hold their heads high. Not that they are going to get the 'freedom' they hoped for, IMO.

My post here (above) shows the numbers killed in America through civil war and the other, The Mexican-American War that should never happened, IMO. America is one example of a country taking its own fate in its own hands and not asking for intervention from other countries. It was their business and when the dust settled America was not in debt to any other country for the outcome. These were also wars that everyone knew would cost many lives, mostly that being civilians. But it had to happen to settle the situation. I can't but help wonder what would have happened if other countries had come and helped during the American Civil war. What would have happened if South Africa and Britain had interviened. Oh, America's Confederate would have won possibly and become like another South Africa of the past.

Freedom is relative and interferrence can lead to things much worse.

So why should countries like America have the privilage of civil war and deciding its own fate and not have everyone cry foul because tens of thousands of innocents are dying. 3000 people dead so far in Syria is NOTHING in comparison with the deaths during America's bloody history.

I see Syria being used in a lot of ways as a convenient smoke screen to distract from places like Bharain. Why not equal focus on this place also. Oh, could it be that there is a major US military base there, so they do not wish the Bharaninan Government kicking them out. You bet.

US wants Syria so it can have Iran totally surrounded, IMO. Syria is about the only place left that has no US military presence keeping its beady eye on Iran. And people wonder why Iran a bit p***** off. There are over 40 bases surrounding Iran with US troops in them.

No, IMO. If the majority of Syrian people wanted Assad out they would be out in the cities all over Syria in their tens and thousands just like in Egypt facing the tanks no matter what the cost. But they aren't. And why shouldn't the populace believe Assad when he says it is a conspiracy by other countries and the CIA to distabliise his country. When isn't the CIA involved with overthrowing countries and leaving them in a mess. No, IMO, Syria is a smoke screen to what USA, CIA, Europe and Israel are planning for the ME long term.

I say look at all the children who die annually in the West at the hands of incompetant social workers' actions and decisions. Children these b******* knew would die if placed back with their parents or guardians. And the Governments of the free West know about these childrens' preventable death but choose to do nothing in order to protect their own butts. Yes, let's focus on other countries so called 'evils' so we don't have to answer for our own.

And, the-Unexpected-Soul, I wish you and your people all the best. But at the same time, believe you me, democracy is not worth all the hype. There are many forms of democracy and it doesn't equate to freedom most of the time. Over time, if they are not realising it already, the EGyptians, Lybians and so forth will realise this. Ask yourself. Why is the West sinking and why is it only 1% of the populace have it good while the rest of us are the ones taking haircuts that soon will not be hair cuts but scalpings.

Edited by SamDavies

American Revolutionary War 1775-1783 Total Deaths: 25,000Combatants 8,000 Other 17,000 American Civil War 1861- 1865 Total Deaths: approx 625,000Combatants Union: 140,414. Other: 224,097 Total: 364,511Combatants Confed: 72, 524. Other: 187,476 Total: approx 260,000Some estimate 700,000 could have died during the four years of Civil war. Mexican-American War 1846-1848 Total Deaths: 13,283Combatants: 1,733. Other: 11,550 The Syrians are intelligent people like any other nation. If Assad was so bad why have they not taken to the streets in the tens and thousands like the Egyptians did. I do not buy into any reasons like Assad has tanks and missles he can throw at the populace. The Egyptians stood their grounds when faced with tanks, planes and missiles. They did not run away and ask the world to come to their rescue. It was their gripe with their government and they won in the end and there was not a huge amount of blood shed like there could have been. In fact when someone was killed they were more determined to stand their ground so the deaths of their loved was not invain. Today the Egyptians can and do hold their heads high. Not that they are going to get the 'freedom' they hoped for, IMO.My post here (above) shows the numbers killed in America through civil war and the other, The Mexican-American War that should never happened, IMO. America is one example of a country taking its own fate in its own hands and not asking for intervention from other countries. It was their business and when the dust settled America was not in debt to any other country for the outcome. These were also wars that everyone knew would cost many lives, mostly that being civilians. But it had to happen to settle the situation. I can't but help wonder what would have happened if other countries had come and helped during the American Civil war. What would have happened if South Africa and Britain had interviened. Oh, America's Confederate would have won possibly and become like another South Africa of the past. Freedom is relative and interferrence can lead to things much worse. So why should countries like America have the privilage of civil war and deciding its own fate and not have everyone cry foul because tens of thousands of innocents are dying. 3000 people dead so far in Syria is NOTHING in comparison with the deaths during America's bloody history.I see Syria being used in a lot of ways as a convenient smoke screen to distract from places like Bharain. Why not equal focus on this place also. Oh, could it be that there is a major US military base there, so they do not wish the Bharaninan Government kicking them out. You bet.US wants Syria so it can have Iran totally surrounded, IMO. Syria is about the only place left that has no US military presence keeping its beady eye on Iran. And people wonder why Iran a bit p***** off. There are over 40 bases surrounding Iran with US troops in them.No, IMO. If the majority of Syrian people wanted Assad out they would be out in the cities all over Syria in their tens and thousands just like in Egypt facing the tanks no matter what the cost. But they aren't. And why shouldn't the populace believe Assad when he says it is a conspiracy by other countries and the CIA to distabliise his country. When isn't the CIA involved with overthrowing countries and leaving them in a mess. No, IMO, Syria is a smoke screen to what USA, CIA, Europe and Israel are planning for the ME long term.I say look at all the children who die annually in the West at the hands of incompetant social workers' actions and decisions. Children these b******* knew would die if placed back with their parents or guardians. And the Governments of the free West know about these childrens' preventable death but choose to do nothing in order to protect their own butts. Yes, let's focus on other countries so called 'evils' so we don't have to answer for our own.And, the-Unexpected-Soul, I wish you and your people all the best. But at the same time, believe you me, democracy is not worth all the hype. There are many forms of democracy and it doesn't equate to freedom most of the time. Over time, if they are not realising it already, the EGyptians, Lybians and so forth will realise this. Ask yourself. Why is the West sinking and why is it only 1% of the populace have it good while the rest of us are the ones taking haircuts that soon will not be hair cuts but scalpings.

I can understand some Assad hack from inside the country justifying the BUTCHERY that Assad is engaged in. But you really expect people to believe that the CIA, Europe, America and Israel have caused the death of over 8000 people in the past year in Syria? It's impossible that Russia or China might have some responsibility there. Syria has been on no one's list of places to overthrow because it has: Chemical/Nerve Gases and Biological agents and tens of thousands of missiles to deliver them with. Bahrain and eastern Saudi Arabia are primarily Shia - like Iran. So Iran is causing turmoil there to be an irritant to Saudi Arabia. The US has a Fleet stationed in Manama and will probably fight to keep it there. Great Powers do things like that...it's odd that it seems strange to you. I'm sure that the US and the other countries you mentioned do have plans for the future in the region but I can assure you that Iran and Syria also have those kinds of plans.

I'm not sure what the rest of your rant had to do with Syria "almost" being a democracy, but it gets tiresome hearing people blame the CIA et al for everything from the common cold to the impending apocalypse. :no:

Sam you need to double check your information. What's happening in Syria and what happened in Egypt are nothing alike. In Egypt the military stayed neutral and then largely sided with the protesters. No one was bombing Egyptian cities. So you really can't compare the two cases.

Likewise the American Civil War and the current Syrian Civil War are very different and more importantly happened in two different times with different views on conflict. Just because no one made a big deal over civilian deaths then (and where are you getting your numbers because they look off) doesn't mean that it's ok now.

Finally I agree with and then that the whole 'CIA is behind everything' is getting rather old.

Likewise it gets tiresome hearing rants that the CIA and others can not be involved in anyway. When aren't they? This is the point I am making. The past and present operations in other courtries by the CIA give leaders like Assad ample material that can be seen as credible and believable even if it weren't. Most people when they hear of CIA interferrence in countries they do say things like, 'When aren't they'. This is not ranting it is fact. Do you really think there are no CIA agents in Syria presently?? If they aren't this will be a first, I am sure. Spies are in every country from all countries. This is what nations do. Spy on one another. No matter who they are and then take any opportunity to distabilize their 'enemies'.

And why is Russia and China always dragged into it. Really, what are they suppose to do. Agree to sanctions that history in other countries has proven to be the wrong way of going about things. Even the UN saying sanctions dont and wont work. Provide weapons to the opposition, perhaps? Providing weapons is the same as declaring war on a country's ruling party, IMO. The West can do its own dirty work. It has enough inoccent blood on its hands, a bit more wont be noticable, believe you me, except in the countries where the blood will be shed.

And now that USA has made it pretty clear they are prepared to violate international laws of not assessinating leaders; that they must be captured preferable alive and brought to ICC is something that apparently doesn't apply to the USA.

Instead they get a slap on the wrist not to do it again though we all know they will if given the chance. So now the world really expects these 'evil' leaders to give up power and come peacefully so they can be brought before a court where they will be found guility any way and hung or shot. Assad has nothing to loose by going down fightbing and taking his people with him. I find it rather erry that Gaddaffi did not use some of the weapons he had. Perhaps this shows how truly 'evil' he was and didn't give a damn about his people at the end of the day, hey. Where are those weapons now. Perhaps they are in Iran, or Syria or some place like North Korea, waiting for that final showdown that is inevitable but hoped would not have to happen. But the West pushed and pushed just like the bible said it would, and shortly the world will pay.

My other rant, as you so call it, that appears to have nothing to do with Syria is showing how the West so happily condemns the evil East for actions towards its people but wont bring out its own dirty laundry. I am not linked to any government or religion or have a loyalty to any country just because I was born in or brought up in it. I am one of those people that get thrown into prison or tarred and feathered for being a coward because i won't shot my fellow man when commanded to by a stupid human government that claims to be a beaming light of freedom for the world. An example to follow. I can stand back and look at all countries and read history and see when anyone is calling foul when they themselves are the prime examples of stripping people of their rights. But it is always good to point out others short falls and evils to cover up our own, hoping no one will notice. When the s*** hits the fan I expect to be thrown in

prison or shot for refusing to kill. I've been prepared for this all my life.

And chemical weapons and so forth in Syria. This threat should not stop the people from taking to the streets in their tens and thousands in Syria. Or do you wish to sacrifice literally billions of lives by invading Syria and possibly triggering WWIII. Do you think even the most anti Assad would expect the world to chose a possible WW for their sakes. Hey, let Assad drop his bombs on his own people then the world would have ligitamate reason to go in perhaps. When USA ends up in another civil war in which it is heading, IMO, would you like the Chinese, Russians and some of the Islamic countries to fly over and sort it all out for you. I doubt you would. You surely would rather keep your strange democracy and slaughter tens of thousands of your own people in a civil war and let the dust settle than have any country sort things out for you. Thankfully, China and Russia have no interest whatsoever in invading USA or any other country that should be sorting its own problems out. USA was allowed to slaughter its own inoccents but apparently this is not permissible by any other country unless I am sure it is the British or French who in the past ahve also slaughtered tens and thousands of its own inoccents. But apparently it is OK for countries of the 'free' world to do this to its own people but not other countries. This is double standard. This is what creates WWs.

Places like Iran and Syria naturally have their own plans . Plans that were pushed by being encircled by USA who made it clear they wanted world domination which includes the Middle East. Like Britain wanted world domination and made it clear they wanted central asia but thankfully failed. But I know that there are some who wish the Brits had accomplished total world domination. If that had happened the blacks would still be in slavery, women still second class citizens and no religion allowed outside the Christian field or else face death.

NATO bombed the hell out of Lybia. Now many Lybians are angry that so much of their infrastructure is laying in ruins and looks to stay that way for many years to come. Many are wondering if the price they paid was too high in the end.

The Syrians look at the damage NATO has done. They wonder if a lot of their infrastructure will be left in tatters. Which we all know it will. The oppossition is made up of many parties. Some want outside help, others don't and want it left to the people, like it was in Egypt, to sort it out themselves. Why can't the West afford Syria that same dignity. Syria is a survivor. It's been around for several thousand years. America is only a few hundred years old and is dying in its own debt that it expects the common folk to pay for while the wealthy 1% are still having their wealth protected.

USA has plans for ME and that is what the ME doesn't want. And Central Asia doesn't like the plans USA has for it either. Just like most of the world did not appreciate Britain controling much of it some years ago and fought against it.

Remember how much America loved Britain so much the American Revolutoinary war broke out. And Britain was not that popular in India or Africa either. This is why that one 'Great power is no longer a great power. INvading and controling other countries is not a sign of greatness. It is the ultimate sign of domination and arrogance. The Tibetans saw the British as divine and the Chinese as scorpians. But they meant divine in the scense that it would be impossible to fight and rid themselves of the British as it would be as fruitless as fighting 'gods'. But on the other hand the chinese were likened to scorpians where at least they might have had a fighting chance, they stung but did not totally destroy.

Don't agree? Go and see what the British did to the Tibetans when they tried to defend themselves against the British in 1900. And this has everything to do with Syria, Iran and other countries that rightfully feel they are being surrounded by forces more powerful than scorpions, so they feel they had better perhaps strike now or at least put up a damn good fight.China has always stood by a policy of making sure its own people are safe first. They are not going to put its people in danger over the West's actions that have been coming to a head for several decades. And like it has been brought out in other posts, if Assad hasn't brought weapons from America he would hvae had plenty of sellers in the black market with the US's name on it or other countries. If the price is right there are always sellers and buyers. At the end of the day the colour of money counts more than the colour of ones skin. China or no China; Russia or no Russia; the blood shed is going to continue. Intervention in Syria from any countries will have Assad fight back at any price, IMO. Sure, he might end up fleeing who knows. but he knows if he flees he and his family will be hunted down and killed, either by illegal assassination or by ICC.

I will always stand by what I say. That if any country or nation wants freedom they will take to the streets in their tens and thousands and fight for their freedom no matter what the cost as this happens and will continue to happen.

The international concern for Syria is a smoke screen and so is Assad recent constitution vote an action on his part and his party to buy time and has nothing to do with freedom, or at least freedom as defined by the West. He's trying to stay alive. He only has to remember Bin Laden and Gaddaffi to know his and the fate of his family. And his genuine followers also know their fate if they do not fight to the death; a death that will come anyway at the hands of freedom fighters and their allies.

• Like 1

Sam you need to double check your information. What's happening in Syria and what happened in Egypt are nothing alike. In Egypt the military stayed neutral and then largely sided with the protesters. No one was bombing Egyptian cities. So you really can't compare the two cases.

Likewise the American Civil War and the current Syrian Civil War are very different and more importantly happened in two different times with different views on conflict. Just because no one made a big deal over civilian deaths then (and where are you getting your numbers because they look off) doesn't mean that it's ok now.

Finally I agree with and then that the whole 'CIA is behind everything' is getting rather old.

Corp, if you can provide me with links to more accurate figures regarding deaths in USA conflicts, please provide them. I got my stats off the wiki thing and another site stating that some believe up to 700,000 were killed in USA civil war. I've noticed that sometimes wiki is laughted at, but then some then turn around and use the info to back arguements. SHRUG. All I know is that the internet is full of a lot of rubbish and it is a blasted hard task weeding out the rubbish and lies. That is why I read through five news sources and check different website re info.

Civil war is civil war no matter what the time period or what country it is happening in. INOCCENTS get killed. Egyptians did fear having bombs from planes dropped on them. I was watching live news when it was happening when planes did fly over head and they all held their breath not knowing if they were going to be bombed or not. But they stood their ground. These people also made it pretty clear that they would face any weapons thrown at them by the Egyptian government. ANY weapon. As a result the army remained mostly neutral and then came on side.

War is never correct. But civil wars sort out problems without dragging the entire world into one big war. If some of these war drag on for years it still has to happen. But when there is civil war and other countries interfer they contribute to dragging the wars out. I do not like seeing war. But I like even less war extended due to interferrence.

I ask again. What really can the international community do? What can China and Russia do? What can anyone do without bringing the world into more wars or one huge one? Maybe this is one more step to WW III. USA does want Syria; it wants Iran; it wants the world, let's not fool ourselves.Syria is about the only country that does not have a USA base or presence to place the final ropes around Iran's neck. I agree, most are reluctant to interviene as whoever does might get a chemical weapon thrown their way from the direction of Syria. AGain, rather hypocritical to ask Russia and China to interviene or blame them for the none stop violence. Stupid thing is if China and Russia did do something then they would still get the blame if it did not work out well. It is a case of you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I say it again. Any country providing the oppossition with weapons will be seen as an act of war against the present Syrian government.

Will need to dig out some old text books to see if they give any numbers. The reason I asked is that the Union 'civilian' death totals were a lot higher than the South, which suffered more than the North did. I think the is is that Wiki gives a KIA number and then a total. We don't know how many civilian deaths there are from that total since it can include soldiers who died later of wounds, POW deaths, deaths due to dieases, etc.

War should be avoid if possible but sometimes it's the right thing to do. The Second World War is a prime example of this. The reality is that sometimes evil people gain control of countries and do evil things. They set out and kill millions. And they're not going to stop because the UN sends them a stern letter. They're not going to stop an invasion because the locals asked them politely to leave. Sometimes in order to keep your freedom and protect others you need to go to war.

As for the US wanting the world I have no doubt they do. The same goes for Britain, France, China, Russia, Kenya, etc etc. I seriously doubt there's a nation that doesn't think things would be better if they were running the world. But see the US isn't jumping to invade Syria. They've said nothing of the sort and have made no moved to do so. Instead they've been pulling their forces out of the region. What they want is to have the UN green light a plan that the Arab League has come up with. To have peacekeepers move in and to stop the violence. The US is staying out of things letting the Arab nations do all the work. No mention of American bases, no mention of the US even being involved in the peacekeeping mission. And this is what Russia and China have blocked. No some American power grab but a regional solution to a regional problem.

And you say it's hypocritical to slam Russia for not doing anything but you're doing the same thing with the US. When the US voices support for a deal that they had zero hand in formulating then they must be ploting WW3, but when Russia supports a government that by all accounts are killing thousands of their own people in order to protect a business partner and to secure their naval base then that's ok? That's a massive double standard.