Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dr Sam Shepard

Antilles

That does NOT look like any hospital I've ever seen!

I'd forgotten that Sheppard was a D.O.

Thanks for bringing that very interesting, historical place to our attention!

Sadly for such an interesting building it is condos now. I saw the condos years ago, I cant remember if they kept any of the building or razed it.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Sadly for such an interesting building it is condos now. I saw the condos years ago, I cant remember if they kept any of the building or razed it.

Yes. I always find it sad when an interesting, historic example of architecture is torn down, but I'm grateful when there's documentation of how it appeared.

I thought it was a "funny" experience when I was once researching a case, and I was using street view to access the scene. I'd studied the case for fair amount of time before I read articles reporting the demolition of the building! Well, I felt fortunate that the building still appeared on street view as it was at the time of the crime. It was weird.

In researching- especially researching of these old cases- my interest often turns to the places associated with them, and I'm always struck by how things have changed, including street names- since the crime occurred. It's a fact that sometimes hinders reconstructing events. I find that "visiting" the locations offers valuable perspective.

Yes. I always find it sad when an interesting, historic example of architecture is torn down, but I'm grateful when there's documentation of how it appeared.

I thought it was a "funny" experience when I was once researching a case, and I was using street view to access the scene. I'd studied the case for fair amount of time before I read articles reporting the demolition of the building! Well, I felt fortunate that the building still appeared on street view as it was at the time of the crime. It was weird.

In researching- especially researching of these old cases- my interest often turns to the places associated with them, and I'm always struck by how things have changed, including street names- since the crime occurred. It's a fact that sometimes hinders reconstructing events. I find that "visiting" the locations offers valuable perspective.

I called my mom to pinpoint the hospital now condos. And yes they kept they main building

my link didn't work, I'll repost

She also said his wife was one year ahead of her in high school. Shaw high school in Cleveland.

She also thought Shepards family started the hospital or atleast ran it. As other family members were physicians.

There is a Shepards Point Drive around the old hospital building in Bay Village too.

Edited by QuiteContrary

The big orangypink castle. Present day

post-126843-0-24593600-1341355766_thumb.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

The big orangypink castle. Present day

Thanks for that QC. Does your mother remember Marilyn?

58 years ago today, Marilyn Shepard was beaten to death in her bedroom in her home at Bay Village Ohio.

Dr Sam Shepard endured trial by media. He lost his wife, his life, everything.

• Like 1

Thanks for that QC. Does your mother remember Marilyn?

58 years ago today, Marilyn Shepard was beaten to death in her bedroom in her home at Bay Village Ohio.

No, she did not know her, but said the Shepards were a well respected family.

I don't like that comment.

Marilyn Sheppard is the true victim. And what about her child? He lost his mother to murder.

Considering the facts of the case, I find the single focus on Sam Sheppard inappropriate and insensitive on this anniversary.

Sounds like it was a devastating tragedy for both Sam and Marilyn, depending on where your opinion of guilt or innocence lies, of course.

I don't like that comment.

Marilyn Sheppard is the true victim. And what about her child? He lost his mother to murder.

Considering the facts of the case, I find the single focus on Sam Sheppard inappropriate and insensitive on this anniversary.

Then don't reply. Simple answer.

I started this thread about Dr Sam Shepard and I'm going to continue to post on Dr Sam Shepard. You don't think like this thread or my comments then start one of your own. :passifier:

Then don't reply. Simple answer.

I started this thread about Dr Sam Shepard and I'm going to continue to post on Dr Sam Shepard. You don't think like this thread or my comments then start one of your own. :passifier:

If you disagree, why don't you address the point of my post? Supporting your perspective would be productive, whereas suggesting that I not post, or to post elsewhere is not.

• 4 years later...

What I want to know is why the prosecution got away with hiding evidence that would have cleared Sheppard of the murder during the first trial.  The FBI file on Sam Sheppard, (see 63-HQ-3206 pages 1-5 and page 9) reveals they had what they considered a credible witness who identified the killer and his connection to the Sheppard family.  The heads of the FBI Al Rosen and J Edgar Hoover signed off on handing over this info to the prosecution but ordered that it be withheld from the defense team!  Isn't it illegal for legal teams to withhold evidence from each other and why did the FBI want to "hang" Sam Sheppard?

• Like 1

This case is a sad example of exactly what we are now recognizing exists in journalism today.  A huge portion of blame for this miscarriage of justice lies directly at the feet of the editor of the Cleveland Plain Journal who lead a personal vendetta against Sam due to a dislike he had for Sam's father.  He was out to destroy this entire family the moment he smelled a chance to do so.  What is the most mind blowing about it though is long after he retired those in command of that newspaper continued.  They even fought every step of the way to keep the DNA testing that Sam's son fought so hard to have done from being completed.  Perhaps it was because they were facing the fact that every article they had written back in the day was going to be outed as filled with the mistruths and twisted facts they had gotten away with but I can well remember into the 90s, having read quite a bit about the case, being horrified at the derogatory slant of their "reporting" regarding the request for DNA even going on to their denial of the FACT that DNA of the window washer had been identified.   CNN could have taken lessons from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. 

For what it's worth, living in Ohio what got my interest  in this case was due to the fact two close members of my family were very acquainted with Sam during his prison time.  My uncle was a prison guard often stationed in the prison clinic where Sam worked.  My aunt was Secretary to the Superintendent for the entire time Sam was incarcerated and because of his trustee status and work in the prison clinic, she was very familiar with him and, not only that, was also well advised of the Superintendent's opinion of Sam.  Now these people are both not only down to earth individuals but had a career number of years working with prisoners.  I can still remember both of them being extremely saddened at the very mention of his name.  Both were never hesitant to attest to what they believed was an innocent person, convicted of a crime he did not commit. 

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 11:03 AM, Vincennes said:

This case is a sad example of exactly what we are now recognizing exists in journalism today.  A huge portion of blame for this miscarriage of justice lies directly at the feet of the editor of the Cleveland Plain Journal who lead a personal vendetta against Sam due to a dislike he had for Sam's father.  He was out to destroy this entire family the moment he smelled a chance to do so.  What is the most mind blowing about it though is long after he retired those in command of that newspaper continued.  They even fought every step of the way to keep the DNA testing that Sam's son fought so hard to have done from being completed.  Perhaps it was because they were facing the fact that every article they had written back in the day was going to be outed as filled with the mistruths and twisted facts they had gotten away with but I can well remember into the 90s, having read quite a bit about the case, being horrified at the derogatory slant of their "reporting" regarding the request for DNA even going on to their denial of the FACT that DNA of the window washer had been identified.   CNN could have taken lessons from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. 

For what it's worth, living in Ohio what got my interest  in this case was due to the fact two close members of my family were very acquainted with Sam during his prison time.  My uncle was a prison guard often stationed in the prison clinic where Sam worked.  My aunt was Secretary to the Superintendent for the entire time Sam was incarcerated and because of his trustee status and work in the prison clinic, she was very familiar with him and, not only that, was also well advised of the Superintendent's opinion of Sam.  Now these people are both not only down to earth individuals but had a career number of years working with prisoners.  I can still remember both of them being extremely saddened at the very mention of his name.  Both were never hesitant to attest to what they believed was an innocent person, convicted of a crime he did not commit. 

I'm glad this thread got bumped. I'm not sure where you stand on this case, but I'm curious what you(and others) think of the analysis done by Gregg McCrary. His report is here: http://engagedscholarship.csuohio.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1020&context=sheppard_profiling 

He mentions, among other things, the item that has always bothered me about this case: the lack of blood on Sheppard. If he fought to unconsciousness, twice, with this intruder who had just brutally murdered Marilyn, how does he not have any blood on him? And the bag of valuables stashed on the beach always struck me as someone trying to hide them, not expecting the police to find them.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Took a cursory look at the case. Sam stated that he heard his wife scream his name. If she did as he stated, then the extreme beating/blood splatter had not started otherwise there would be no screaming. Sam gets hit and falls to the floor in the room next to the bed. The extreme beating must have occurred after this action (again otherwise she would not have been able to scream moments before.)  Sam’s clothes would have blood splatter with non under his body on the floor where he laid. This was not the case.   Personally, I believe Sam was involved but did not commit the murder himself. My guess is he hired someone and it was planned out beforehand. One thing that was mentioned was the fact that Sam’s story never changed – not over time, details never became clearer, etc. but stayed steadfast. The reason being the story was rehearsed ahead of time and was just that – fiction.

22 hours ago, pil148 said:

Took a cursory look at the case. Sam stated that he heard his wife scream his name. If she did as he stated, then the extreme beating/blood splatter had not started otherwise there would be no screaming. Sam gets hit and falls to the floor in the room next to the bed. The extreme beating must have occurred after this action (again otherwise she would not have been able to scream moments before.)  Sam’s clothes would have blood splatter with non under his body on the floor where he laid. This was not the case.   Personally, I believe Sam was involved but did not commit the murder himself. My guess is he hired someone and it was planned out beforehand. One thing that was mentioned was the fact that Sam’s story never changed – not over time, details never became clearer, etc. but stayed steadfast. The reason being the story was rehearsed ahead of time and was just that – fiction.

So you "took a cursory look at the case" did you ?  And in that look you discovered a factual account from verified LE information where blood was and where it wasn't.  You need to realize 98% of what was published in news reports during that time was tainted.  It was the fake news of the day headed up by the Cleveland Plain Dealer.  Then update yourself on more current information regarding the case.  

I would think, as a physician, he would be able to make her death seem like a natural death.  If he truly wanted her dead, he had enough knowledge of how to simulate a naturally occurring death.  Furthermore, the forensics back then were not very good the time.  Looking over the case, we can now see where egregious mistakes were made with regard to collection of evidence, etc.

Just a thought.  Another possibly was that Sam and his lover committed the murder as potentially addressed in the video.  Highly unlikely, but just a thought. 

Eberly did admit that he was in room, lie detectors can be wrong, and if he were mentally ill, he may have suffered dissassociative behavior which means he truly cannot remember the event thereby not lying on the test.

Unknown, but once I read more on the case, I can more accurately give you  my verdict.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:53 AM, Robemcdo said:

Wife having affair .  Husband kills her when he catches her.  That's my guess 

Your guess is pathetically uninformed.

To me, there is one actual real mystery left in this case and that is why the Cleveland Plain Dealer set out to destroy this man and his family.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9803/05/sheppard.case/

I'm in central Ohio and it was amazing how many negative articles and reports that they were still putting out trying desperately to stop Sam's son in his efforts to accomplish these tests which took place in the 90s.  I had read/heard there was a personal grudge between Dr. Sam's father and the owner of the CPD at the time of the murder and that he set out to destroy the family.  I would really like to know what the cause of that animosity was and what continued it.  Was there "fake news" to the point at the time of the trial they somehow felt they had to keep it coming in order not to expose what they had done in the first place ?  Even now, in view of the multiple uninformed replies, it's clear the results of this DNA were not really made known to the public as they should have been.  

Edited by Vincennes