Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Yellowstone visitors report mystery 'music'

Saru

Strange celestial sounds have been heard by visitors to the picturesque Yellowstone National Park.

Linton and others have described the sounds as “harp-like” or similar to human voices or the sound of metal cables crashing against each other, but no satisfactory explanation has yet been offered for their origin.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NatureBoff

• tipotep

• Q-C

• Rlyeh

Great article and a very interesting subject. I was immediately curious when I read “..like human voices..” due to this phenomenon being associated with unknown cryptid animals which inhabit remote locations often having large bodies of water. It’s a good fit for a cryptozoological explanation imv. See the hair analysis of the Sumatran Orang Pendek for further information.

Great article and a very interesting subject. I was immediately curious when I read "..like human voices.." due to this phenomenon being associated with unknown cryptid animals which inhabit remote locations often having large bodies of water. It's a good fit for a cryptozoological explanation imv. See the hair analysis of the Sumatran Orang Pendek for further information.

Can the hyrax talk now?

If the sounds are related to the park’s geology, they come and go along with thermal features like geysers or hot springs, which wax and wane over years or even decades depending on a complex set of natural factors.

a well know phenomena called pareidolia. Trying to make significant sense of natural phenomena. They're in the middle of a super volcano caldera. Gas and water are expelled as regular significant and insignificant events from all over the crater. Sound travels a long distance sometimes. Human make sound by escaping gas. Calderas make sound the same way.

Great article and a very interesting subject. I was immediately curious when I read “..like human voices..” due to this phenomenon being associated with unknown cryptid animals which inhabit remote locations often having large bodies of water. It’s a good fit for a cryptozoological explanation imv. See the hair analysis of the Sumatran Orang Pendek for further information.

Im guessing that you are the same person who has posted the above comments word for word in the original article ?

Tip.

lol tailor.. I find it curious that you honed in on "like human voices" when there was also "the ringing of telegraph wires or the humming of a swarm of bees", "a rather indefinite, reverberating sound, characterized by a slight metallic resonance", “harp-like”, and "a curious sound, between a whistle and a hoarse whine"... That dang hyrax of yours seems to be able to mimic every living and dead animal on the planet as well as every supernatural phenomena and every natural and apparently manmade inanimate object.

On a very honest note My brother-n-law lives on the big Island Hawaii and four years ago we day hiked to a local secret area that the locals go to for some up close and away from the Park services . To be at one with The Mother Volcano Goddess Pele`

ANd the four of us all heard very un volcanic sounds coming from the Sky like harp,and bass cheleo music.

Very Strange noises !

Interesting how Whittlesey comments "“It has been reported by too many people for it to be any kind of Bigfoot thing or something like that.” Seems a little hypocritical. Our phenomena is valid but those bigfoot believers are kooks. Maybe just my interpretation though.

That said, I think that the lake music is a bona fide experience. Too bad people want to explain away the magic.

On a very honest note My brother-n-law lives on the big Island Hawaii and four years ago we day hiked to a local secret area that the locals go to for some up close and away from the Park services . To be at one with The Mother Volcano Goddess Pele`

ANd the four of us all heard very un volcanic sounds coming from the Sky like harp,and bass cheleo music.

Very Strange noises !

What do the locals make of it in Hawaii Dude who doesn't want to be eaten ?

My first thoughs when I read the OP was that it had to have something to do with the thermal activity below , now that you mention the same sort of thing in Hawaii near a volcano ... well .... :blink:

Tip.

Considering the huge magma lake that is building under Yellowstone, my guess is that superheated steam is finding every crevice to leak out of. The smaller the crevice, the higher the pitch, and vice versa.

You would not find me near Yellowstone for love nor money... it is a Super - Volano that is long overdue an eruption, and I dont want to be anywhere near a multi-gigaton explosion when it does erupt.

Very Strange noises !

Seriously? Harp like... ? like sounds from heaven?

a well know phenomena called pareidolia. Trying to make significant sense of natural phenomena. They're in the middle of a super volcano caldera. Gas and water are expelled as regular significant and insignificant events from all over the crater. Sound travels a long distance sometimes. Human make sound by escaping gas. Calderas make sound the same way.

Volcanoes. This is exactly what I thought of right away, tectonic shifting even if minimal may also cause similar electrical or humming sounds.

Considering the huge magma lake that is building under Yellowstone, my guess is that superheated steam is finding every crevice to leak out of. The smaller the crevice, the higher the pitch, and vice versa.

You would not find me near Yellowstone for love nor money... it is a Super - Volano that is long overdue an eruption, and I dont want to be anywhere near a multi-gigaton explosion when it does erupt.

LOL... but so true.

Which is what I was thinking - it's like a whistling kettle.

Mate, being on the same planet as Yellowstone is looking down the barrel of a loaded gun being held by a monkey (no offence Bracket).

Would have been nice to hear a sound byte or something but yeah, I figured it is just geological effects.

Why this should be a mystery just seems silly and unscientific to me.

If it decides to blow, it might just be better to be smack-dab in the center. At least, your end will be quick while the rest of the Nation chokes on ash.

"shes just clearing her throat, she hasnt begun to sing yet" - dantes peak. This is like those bloop noises and noises heard around the world its tectonics and steam, ice rubbing, ice melting.