Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scandinavian trees 'survived last Ice Age'

Still Waters

Some Scandinavian trees survived the last Ice Age, challenging a widely held notion that they were killed off by the huge ice sheet that covered the region.

Modern trees in Scandinavia were thought to descend from species that migrated north when the ice melted 9,000 years ago.

But research suggests some conifers survived on mountain peaks that protruded from the enormous ice sheet, on islands and in coastal areas.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug1029

• questionmark

• NatureBoff

• highdesert50

They have pine trees in the Alps so I dont see why not

Are ancient Nordic tales of trolls Neanderthals? Looking at my neighbour I think they'll be the next discovery.

They have pine trees in the Alps so I dont see why not

Are ancient Nordic tales of trolls Neanderthals? Looking at my neighbour I think they'll be the next discovery.

The question is: where did they survive? Because we know several habitats that were little affected by glaciation even though glaciation was all around it. The upper Danube Valley comes to mind. And as far as plants go, all you need is one or two surviving specimens of a species for the plant to continue spreading.

The question is: where did they survive? Because we know several habitats that were little affected by glaciation even though glaciation was all around it. The upper Danube Valley comes to mind. And as far as plants go, all you need is one or two surviving specimens of a species for the plant to continue spreading.

I have seen photos of trees growing in a thin soil right on top of the ice. There was also an item on the Science Channel that showed an eight-inch thick soil developed in permafrost on top of a frozen lake with about four feet of clear ice beneath the soil layer. Now if I could get some chronologies from them.

Doug

I have seen photos of trees growing in a thin soil right on top of the ice. There was also an item on the Science Channel that showed an eight-inch thick soil developed in permafrost on top of a frozen lake with about four feet of clear ice beneath the soil layer. Now if I could get some chronologies from them.

Doug

I have absolutely no doubt that a Nordman Fir can survive a prolonged period in ice, I was thinking more along the lines of multiplying which is not so easy in the cold. After all we have think that ice ages last many thousands of years and are well beyond the life span of any tree.

Scandinavian trees 'survived last Ice Age'. The conditions of the Arctic during the last ice age hint at a warm current entering the basin imv. It's not the first time that controversy over long held beliefs of the arctic climate has surfaced. This extra current strength fits with the extra tidal forces predicted in an exotic dark matter universe.

Hot springs would certainly be havens for a variety of lifeforms and exist as far north as Spitsbergen.

I have absolutely no doubt that a Nordman Fir can survive a prolonged period in ice, I was thinking more along the lines of multiplying which is not so easy in the cold. After all we have think that ice ages last many thousands of years and are well beyond the life span of any tree.

Some how those trees standing on top of the glacier were able to germinate and survive there. I doubt they were doing very well, but they were alive.

There are krumholz in Rocky Mountain National Park that are adjacent to some small permanent ice/snow fields. They're growing on soil, but permanent ice is less than ten feet away. At that elevation (about 12,000 feet) snow blasting is a serious problem for seedlings. Most germinate, only be be killed when they get a few inches high. It's a tough life, but a few survive and grow up.

So I think it's possible to find some trees that were alive before the Younger Dryas and maybe even some that were alive when the continental glaciers first began to melt. They'd be setting new records for tree longevity every year, but then, we've just revived some seeds that appear to date from about 30,000 years ago. There are still lots of surprises out there.

Doug

Whoa, that is awesome that they survived the ice age! :D I love it when things like this happen.

• 2 weeks later...

If the only logical explanation, which by the way you can find on www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCxWUkaar5k, was common knowledge, articles like this wouldn't need to be written. Sad state of affairs, being brainwashed by mainstream western education.

• 4 weeks later...