Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loch Ness Video

kdroc12

I have a video I shot April 11 2010 that shows something in the loch. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get this analyzed.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vitruvian12

• kdroc12

• Sakari

• Simbi Laveau

I have a video I shot April 11 2010 that shows something in the loch. I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get this analyzed.

You dont want to show it here?

Think he (or she) is trying to find someone considered somewhat respectable to show it to first to have it analyzed, as opposed to just putting it on the net. Who that person might be, though, I can't help you. Maybe someone else can come up with a good direction.

Think he (or she) is trying to find someone considered somewhat respectable to show it to first to have it analyzed, as opposed to just putting it on the net. Who that person might be, though, I can't help you. Maybe someone else can come up with a good direction.

Maybe it should be in a different forum since its the video itself that needs to be examined not a discussion of its content

Hello and welcome to UM.

Is it just information you're looking for here, or are you planning to post your video as well for us to see?

Here :yes:

Hey,

Do you have any intention of posting it here? Or are you just looking for somewhere to get it analyzed?

Can you at least tell us how you think in compares to other claimed Loch Ness Monster footage?

Is it possible you could at least post some stills from the footage?

Tim.

I think Nessie is a plesiosaur .Wether there are any left alive now,and in the loch itself.....*sighs*

May I suggest you really need to ensure that your original media is 'locked' (if possible) to ensure that you can always go back to it. Then, depending on the media (happy to be more specific if you will tell us what camera and media was used), you should get it duplicated and work from an exact copy.

But what do you anticipate an 'analysis' will show? Given access to the original media, an analysis could confirm that the imagery is unaltered. Beyond that there are some photogrammetric techniques that may be able to help with sizes and distances and speeds, if the content supports that (it doesn't always..), and it *may* be possible to reveal limited details in dark areas, or to *slightly* sharpen video that is a little out of focus. But mostly.. the gains from real 'enhancement/analysis' will be very small.

Then about all you can do is talk to knowledgeable (marine) biologists who know the Loch's *known* inhabitants and their behavior, to rule them in or out.

If you just want an analysis that tells you it is definitely/most probably Nessie, I'm sure there are multitudes of *pretenders* who will throw all manner of completely inappropriate techniques at it, like:

- over-enlargement

- over-sharpening

- posterisation

- 'enhancements' like contrast/brightness/saturation adjustments

and give you all sorts of fascinating, and mostly completely useless, results. All of those techniques are destructive or additive, in other words they falsify detail. So if you/they know what you want out of the image, you can pretty much have whatever you like... It's the old "I'll just adjust this Photoshop slider until I get what I want.." technique..

This all applies particularly to compressed (or poor quality/grainy) footage. That's why you need to keep that original intact - to be honest it is probably already compressed unless you were using some serious gear (and thereby contains some false data already), but at least you will have the best start, as distinct from using a 2nd/3rd/10th gen copy at reduced resolution and compressed for youtube...

If you like, when you are working out who to trust - show them this, and see how they respond. If they don't acknowledge the issues I've outlined, and instead promise the 'world' - you are being snake-oiled..

I don't do this stuff professionally (and I'm on the other side of the world anyway), but know my way around ... and will be happy to offer a critique of any analysis you may get. ^_^

As an aside, I trust you have seen this rather funny 'Enhance' video, that sorta says what I am saying...

'..got an image enhancer that will bitmap?..' I love it!!

I think Nessie is a plesiosaur .Wether there are any left alive now,and in the loch itself.....*sighs*

The loch is a geologically new, ice age creation. Where would the plesiosaur have been during the iceage and how did it get there after?

The loch is a geologically new, ice age creation. Where would the plesiosaur have been during the iceage and how did it get there after?

It was a science fair project that the Bigfoots had. They kept a few Nessies as pets and then when the time was right, released them into the Loch. Seems pretty plausible to me. :rolleyes:

This is in real time shot on a canon elph. It is too big a file to post here but you can watch it on the below link! ( I couldn't figure out how to get it posted here). We would like the close up portion enhanced...we have gone through it frame X frame and see something but??? Opinions, thoughts??

Edited by Saru
Fixed video link

It is too big a file to post here but you can watch it on the below link! ( I couldn't figure out how to get it posted here).

I've fixed that for you.

To post a Youtube video all you need to do is paste the URL of the video in to your post and the forum will do the rest. :tu:

The wave seems to be moving perpendicular to its length, rather than a V formation something moving might make. It doesnt look like an object moving towards the camera, more like the front of a slight wave. It looked like there were other similar rippled areas on the water in one of the wider shots. Did you look closer at any of them? Its the original video as blurry in the zoomed shots or is it just because its on youtube?

Thanks for sharing, that was actually a really neat and very candid seeming video. Not debunking or being dismissive, but one possibility that jumps to my mind.

1 - a group of large fish or even just one (like a muskie) chasing a school of smaller fish. You'd be suprised how much a 60-120lb fish swimming close to the surface, can cause ripples on a placid lake surface like you had there.

Either way it does appear you taped "something" which is alot more than most of the "evidence" I see. Certainly fun to look at and abit of a mystery to boot! (I don't think it's a pleosaur heh.)

..Opinions, thoughts??

I'd just make the point that the 'close up' bit is clearly digitally zoomed, and shows the artifacting, pixellation and artificial edge enhancement that such zooming invariably introduces. The camera simply makes up (aka 'guesses') at the intervening detail as it expands the image. As I advise anyone with any camera - TURN DIGITAL ZOOM OFF. It adds false detail which might be fine for impressing the relly's, but it is useless in terms of actually magnifying detail. If anything it reduces resolution by the addition of false detail.

So any enhancement of that section will be enhancement of those artifacts and false detail. I'm no expert on Loch Ness inhabitants, but have spent a large portion of my life in the marine sciences and can't see anything particularly unusual - it could be a large fish or two, perhaps a school of smaller fish or something similar. May I ask why you stopped filming - what happened to the 'wake' afterwards?

Also, the fact it was calm where you were shooting does not mean it is calm at the loch's surface. Some of the wake/wave effects may simply be wind/breeze driven.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but you are not going to get anything conclusive out of an analysis of that footage. Not even with that exclamation mark you added after declaring it a 'Loch Ness Monster Sighting!'... :hmm:

I've fixed that for you.

To post a Youtube video all you need to do is paste the URL of the video in to your post and the forum will do the rest. :tu:

Thank you!

I'd just make the point that the 'close up' bit is clearly digitally zoomed, and shows the artifacting, pixellation and artificial edge enhancement that such zooming invariably introduces. The camera simply makes up (aka 'guesses') at the intervening detail as it expands the image. As I advise anyone with any camera - TURN DIGITAL ZOOM OFF. It adds false detail which might be fine for impressing the relly's, but it is useless in terms of actually magnifying detail. If anything it reduces resolution by the addition of false detail.

So any enhancement of that section will be enhancement of those artifacts and false detail. I'm no expert on Loch Ness inhabitants, but have spent a large portion of my life in the marine sciences and can't see anything particularly unusual - it could be a large fish or two, perhaps a school of smaller fish or something similar. May I ask why you stopped filming - what happened to the 'wake' afterwards?

Also, the fact it was calm where you were shooting does not mean it is calm at the loch's surface. Some of the wake/wave effects may simply be wind/breeze driven.

I'm sorry to rain on the parade, but you are not going to get anything conclusive out of an analysis of that footage. Not even with that exclamation mark you added after declaring it a 'Loch Ness Monster Sighting!'... :hmm:

Thank you for your candid opinion. It was only put out there as a loch ness monster sighting to get opinions, and so people in the know on the subject could easily find it. I stopped filing for 2 reasons, the first being the wake just dissipated completely and second my battery was running low and we had a long drive back to Glasgow and I was hoping to get a few pics in the highlands. once again thank you for your response!

nice video - not sure what I'm seeing - but thanks for posting a video longer than 11 secs, a clear video, without any muzak as well. Pity you couldn't zoom i when the first wake was evident, maybe next time!!

Overall - well done

Thanks for posting the video... :)

As for what you have on film, we will never know.

I can say very strongly, it is not a lake monster.That has been investigated enough, and shown how that is impossible.....Long story, and would be repeating topics over again..

Breeding population, sonar used on the lake, etc, etc,etc

It is nice to see some footage that is real, and is not a " proof of nessie " video.....Nice to see someone ask what people think, and not tell people what it is for sure.

Thank You !

The loch eas originally all open,with connections to the ocean.

Youve never heard this before ?

You can still get into the loch from the ocean,via a few aqueducts .

If you dont know this,then you obviously don't know that much about all the history of the lochs.

Many organisms can change over from salt to brackish to fresh water living.

It can be done with guppies ,in a tank in your own home.

The loch eas originally all open,with connections to the ocean.

Youve never heard this before ?

You can still get into the loch from the ocean,via a few aqueducts .

If you dont know this,then you obviously don't know that much about all the history of the lochs.

Many organisms can change over from salt to brackish to fresh water living.

It can be done with guppies ,in a tank in your own home.

Can an air breathing animal evolve to live under a glacier? Because that's what covered that area. I don't think you have a good grasp of the geologic history

Im guessing nothing lived in there when it was a glacier,but it sure teems with life now,and connects to the ocean.

Duh

Im guessing nothing lived in there when it was a glacier,but it sure teems with life now,and connects to the ocean.

Duh

Your reasoning and grasp of things seems to be on par with your witty comebacks