Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
bouncer

Dyatlov Pass incident

39 posts in this topic

The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. It happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат Сяхл) (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov (Игорь Дятлов). The lack of eyewitnesses has inspired much speculation. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident.[1] The chronology of the incident remains unclear due to the lack of survivors.[2][3]

Investigators at the time determined that the hikers tore open their tent from within, departing barefoot into heavy snow and a temperature of −30°C. Though the corpses showed no signs of struggle, two victims had fractured skulls, two had broken ribs, and one was missing her tongue.[1] Their clothing, when tested, was found to be highly radioactive.[1]

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

vid:

hhmmmmm

Posted (edited)

Al ready been posted, i post a link in a minute

Dyatlov

Edited by Erix

Al ready been posted, i post a link in a minute

Dyatlov

well spotted, apologies, mods can merge

I've never heard this one before.Very interesting

UFO hunters did a show on it I think ?

Posted (edited)

UFO hunters did a show on it I think ?

To be fair neither had I heard about it, and those bodies looked pretty gruesome. Youd have to be pretty damned scared and pumped to rip through a tent and run 'barefooted' in snow that cold. When you think that in the wilderness of snow and ice the most likely thing you 'may' encounter will be a polar bear or snow fox... you wouldnt expect much else would you?

But bears and foxes aren't very radioactive I expect..

One thing not mentioned in the vid, they also found a note saying

"from now on we know there are snowmen"

Edited by bouncer

When i first heard about this, a couple of years ago, i was also struck by the whole story. But now i tend to think that there is not much more to it than it was a group of hikers that got struck by an avalanche...Undressing, as well as confusion/hallucinations for example are relatively common symptoms on people suffering from hypothermia. The victims were found weeks after the incidents, so their bodies laid exposed to the sunlight all the time, that would explain their tan, and the missing tongue probably was taken by a scavenging animal....they tend to go for the soft parts first. I don't know about the radioactivity though, but stuff like that could have been added on the whole story later, to make it more creepy....

When i first heard about this, a couple of years ago, i was also struck by the whole story. But now i tend to think that there is not much more to it than it was a group of hikers that got struck by an avalanche...Undressing, as well as confusion/hallucinations for example are relatively common symptoms on people suffering from hypothermia. The victims were found weeks after the incidents, so their bodies laid exposed to the sunlight all the time, that would explain their tan, and the missing tongue probably was taken by a scavenging animal....they tend to go for the soft parts first. I don't know about the radioactivity though, but stuff like that could have been added on the whole story later, to make it more creepy....

just a few points.

If an avalanche caused the injuries then:

- bodies would all be clothed still

- footprints would not be visible but covered by snow.

- why would teh tent be ripped from inside.

as for the 'tans'....four of the bodies were under 4 ft snow...not in sunlight

The missing tongue..scavangers...maybe...but why just a tongue? also what caused the other injuries? if an avalanche then the bodies would all be buried along with footprints, this would also make it harder for scavangers to get to 'tongues' or other body parts.

it is a strange incident.

Posted (edited)

well tis a possibility I expect. Im not so sure about the sunshine angle as the vid shows them being dug from snow, so that could have preserved their frozen features.

But surely an avalanche or the path/debris of one would have been recognized? I mean the locals would be familiar with them wouldn't they and know the signs?

I did some googling on 'Dyatlov Pass incident' and the story also shows up on BigFoot websites with those guys laying claim to the bigfoot angle...

Edited by bouncer

And then wiki says:

"The final verdict was that the group members all died because of a "compelling unknown force". The inquest ceased officially in May 1959 due to the "absence of a guilty party". The files were sent to a secret archive, and the photocopies of the case became available only in the 1990s, with some parts missing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_pass_accident

Posted (edited)

Shame, shame... using wikipedia as a credible source. *teases* (Don't get me wrong here... wikipedia is a wonderful tool for a cursory source of information, but the information presented on the site frequently contains inaccuracies in the details... such as the temperature being -30*C instead of the more correct -18*C temperatures on the evening of the Dyatlov Pass Incident.)

If you're interested in reading more detailed information on this, I recommend the following website:

http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_answers.html

That site has several pages which pick apart the incident with great scrutiny, it addresses all existing theories, and they have more detailed information and photos from the actual incident archives. The detailed information on the website as well as the letter of gratitude issued to the website by Yuri Kuntsevitch, the current President of the Dyatlov Foundation, is strongly suggestive that the site contains more accurate information pertaining to the facts of the incident.

Edited by jadewik

I thought this was just a case of freezing to death. They tore off their clothing which is a typical reaction. Their missing tongue was likely eaten by scavengers.

just a few points.

If an avalanche caused the injuries then:

- bodies would all be clothed still

- footprints would not be visible but covered by snow.

- why would teh tent be ripped from inside.

as for the 'tans'....four of the bodies were under 4 ft snow...not in sunlight

The missing tongue..scavangers...maybe...but why just a tongue? also what caused the other injuries? if an avalanche then the bodies would all be buried along with footprints, this would also make it harder for scavangers to get to 'tongues' or other body parts.

it is a strange incident.

uhhm, the scenario in my head was like "group gets surprised by avalanche in the night, some can get out of their snow-buried tent, get hypothermia, get delusional, undress, die..." or something like that. Digging out of under the snow, walk around, y'know? Ah, but that's just wild speculation, everything is possible. Even Bigfoot as i just read ....

Posted (edited)

There's already plenty of threads about this case.

Erix gave the link to a 12 pages thread about this case, worth the read. :)

Here's a short but very interesting video about the case:

Stuff they don't want you to know: Dyatlov

By the way Dyatlov is not regarded as a "UFO case", it should be in the legend section of the forum.

Edited by JonathanVonErich

Can you sum up the video, Jonathan? I can't watch here at work and the last thing I wanna do when I get home is get on the intranets.

uhhm, the scenario in my head was like "group gets surprised by avalanche in the night, some can get out of their snow-buried tent, get hypothermia, get delusional, undress, die..." or something like that. Digging out of under the snow, walk around, y'know? Ah, but that's just wild speculation, everything is possible. Even Bigfoot as i just read ....

an avalanche would leave obvious signs....why were footprints found all around the tent and leading to the woods?

they all get out of the tent...hyporthemia? no if this was the case then the hypothermia must have happened in the tent, why? because their clothes were in the tent not scattered around! So they did not leave the tent ..get hypothermia then undress, so while the condition and possible symptons of hypothermia are accurate they cannot be possible in this case if said facts are correct.

if 'bigfoot' then the footprints would surely be visible as the human ones were.

!??

an avalanche would leave obvious signs....why were footprints found all around the tent and leading to the woods?

they all get out of the tent...hyporthemia? no if this was the case then the hypothermia must have happened in the tent, why? because their clothes were in the tent not scattered around! So they did not leave the tent ..get hypothermia then undress, so while the condition and possible symptons of hypothermia are accurate they cannot be possible in this case if said facts are correct.

if 'bigfoot' then the footprints would surely be visible as the human ones were.

!??

that bigfoot part i just added because somebody mentioned before...i'm not a big believer in the whole bigfoot thing. Let me make my point a little clearer : that group sleeps in their tents at night, they get surprised and buried by an avalanche, they can't get out immediately. After some time, some of them manage to rip the tent open and dig out, they're already cooled out a lot. Then, they try to dig out their mates as well and get surprised by hypothermia setting in....Whatever, it's all wild speculation since no one of us witnessed what happened there, but i like to first look at possible down-to-earth explanations before i let some aliens get involved.

that bigfoot part i just added because somebody mentioned before...i'm not a big believer in the whole bigfoot thing. Let me make my point a little clearer : that group sleeps in their tents at night, they get surprised and buried by an avalanche, they can't get out immediately. After some time, some of them manage to rip the tent open and dig out, they're already cooled out a lot. Then, they try to dig out their mates as well and get surprised by hypothermia setting in....Whatever, it's all wild speculation since no one of us witnessed what happened there, but i like to first look at possible down-to-earth explanations before i let some aliens get involved.

hello Jacques, ok and noted on the bigfoot part :)

dont worry I am not about to introduce aliens or bigfoot....I am trying to establish the facts first (if this is possible)

here is a good site for you some interesting points. There is an interesting comment from a member there that claims ot have been to shool with them all.

My link

:tu:

hello Jacques, ok and noted on the bigfoot part :)

dont worry I am not about to introduce aliens or bigfoot....I am trying to establish the facts first (if this is possible)

here is a good site for you some interesting points. There is an interesting comment from a member there that claims ot have been to shool with them all.

My link

:tu:

cool, i'll check on that! thx!

Posted (edited)

Well before anyone can work in an avalanche theory, we need to know if the area they were in were prone to avalanche, from the report they made camp, as you would on flatter ground, and avalanches don't happen on flat ground, do they? If it were an avalanche, that fell from above, then we also need to know how high they were on which mountain, and if it were an avalanche, why was the tent not buried along with all the footprints?

next, in a tent which is WARM enough that you can feel its OK to undress!! If it were so cold they'd have stayed dressed. and what about the alleged note left behind...

"snowmen do exist"

Edited by bouncer

Posted (edited)

Well before anyone can work in an avalanche theory, we need to know if the area they were in were prone to avalanche, from the report they made camp, as you would on flatter ground, and avalanches don't happen on flat ground, do they?[...]

From what I've seen in the most comprehensive (IMHO) attempt to study this case by E.V.Buyanov and B.E.Slobtsov (sadly, in Russian only), it was (most likely) "slab" or cohesive plate of snow slided onto the tent. Schematic shown here

dyatlov_95.jpg

probably will make it more clear.

Edited by bmk1245

What did they rip the tent open with?

Posted (edited)

What did they rip the tent open with? Where is it?

Edited by Cassea