Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Sexist trousers' are below the belt

Still Waters

Some sexist 'jokes' can be funny. Others are just offensive and we shouldn't succumb to societal pressure to laugh for the sake of it, writes Emma Barnett.

This weekend, as I attempted to tidy to my house, I happened to notice the label inside my boyfriend’s trousers – which he had strewn across the floor of our bedroom.

Upon picking them up, to throw them firmly onto ‘his chair’, (my weekly way of telling him that he needs to put his clothes away), this large white label happened to catch my eye.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilly

• Sakari

• Leonardo

• Neognosis

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a cold day in hell that I'd ever wash any pants bearing that label. I think any able bodied person over the age of 10 years needs to be responsible for their own laundry...period.

I think any able bodied person over the age of 10 years needs to be responsible for their own laundry...period.

I think people should run their households and divide up the chores as they see fit.

And I think the pants are funny.

Edited by Neognosis

It's one thing to voluntarily divide household chores, it's another thing to think certain domestic tasks are the sole responsibility of women based on male perogative.

I think the pants are misogynistic.

Why is she wasting time reading labels? Dinner ain't gonna make itself!

Why is she wasting time reading labels? Dinner ain't gonna make itself!

Zing!!!! Good thing your in Cabo :w00t:

I like how her article backs up her own horror by claiming SOOOOOOO many people on twitter were just as horrified.

Everyone knows men don't bother reading the labels in their pants! Err... well actually I usually don't either. Hurl it all in the machine, dump in some detergent, hit start. DONE.

I think the pants are misogynistic.

I think you are overreacting.

I would agree that the label was a problem if women were still being persecuted in this society and relegated to only household chores. But since this has not been the case for the past 40 year, I think it's funny.

I disagree, sexism is alive and well in 2012. It's greater in less developed countries, but even in western society it still exists.

I wonder how humorous everyone would find a direction label that suggests the task at hand be done by a person of a specific race or religion? I suspect very few would admit to finding it 'funny' (at least not publically).

I don't think it's funny and I'm a guy. Yes, I do jokingly call Nikolai 'my woman' sometimes, but he knows I'm joking. Things like this just make me sick. I had an item with a similar label once- and I immediately threw it in the tote of things to sell at a garage sale. I think it was a t-shirt. Any company that would print such a label should be ashamed of it's self.

I like how her article backs up her own horror by claiming SOOOOOOO many people on twitter were just as horrified.

Everyone knows men don't bother reading the labels in their pants! Err... well actually I usually don't either. Hurl it all in the machine, dump in some detergent, hit start. DONE.

:tu: :tu:

I disagree, sexism is alive and well in 2012. It's greater in less developed countries, but even in western society it still exists.

Well, all I can say is that I work with women, for women, and in the jobs that I've had that weren't in female oriented careers, I've even then had women in positions of authority and in management. Nobody keeps women from buying houses, renting apartments, getting jobs, voting, etc. etc. And in fact, women don't even have to be as good, smart, fast, strong, etc. as men to get the same job in many cases. So I'm not really buying the women persecuted as a class thing any more.

I wonder how humorous everyone would find a direction label that suggests the task at hand be done by a person of a specific race or religion?

That would depend on the religion and race.

Things like this just make me sick.

You know what makes me sick? Violence. Famine. War. Child abuse. Genocide.

You know what DOESN'T make me sick?

A label in a pair of jeans.

Whaaa! the mean label says that women should do the laundry! GASP! What's next!?!? An apron that says men should do the barbecuing?!

I'm just trying to figure out why they called for a boycot of the store where the trousers were sold. Anyone with half a brain knows those tags are put on at the time of manufacturing. What this outraged woman should've done is write to the corporate office and demand that they do something about it, i.e. change manufacturers.

lol, would the label have been less offensive if after "give it to your woman it's her job" had been followed by the line "and your a man, we know you are too stupid to follow the instructions."?

lol, would the label have been less offensive if after "give it to your woman it's her job" had been followed by the line "and your a man, we know you are too stupid to follow the instructions."?

No, that would have been offensive to both genders.

You know what makes me sick? Bigotry in any form, because it's usually part and parcel of a lack of human rights that contribute to a world where war, famine, violence, abuse etc. is all too common. We can't say that lesser objectionable actions are somehow "ok" because they aren't "as bad" as more objectionable actions. That would be kind of like saying racist comments are ok because they aren't as bad as genocide. Granted, it's true genocide is far worse, but racist comments still aren't a good thing.

Edited by Lilly
clarification

No, that would have been offensive to both genders.

You know what makes me sick? Bigotry in any form, because it's usually part and parcel of a lack of human rights that contribute to a world where war, famine, violence, abuse etc. is all too common. We can't say that lesser objectionable actions are somehow "ok" because they aren't "as bad" as more objectionable actions. That would be kind of like saying racist comments are ok because they aren't as bad as genocide. Granted, it's true genocide is far worse, but racist comments still aren't a good thing.

How has a thread about a funny label morphed into famine, violence, abuse, racism and genocide in so short a span of posts?

people seriously need to lighten up. everyone is so quick to be offended because being a victim in western society has become a way to gain power. it's disgusting.

it's a funny tag and if you don't see the humor in it you really need to get a life...

it's a funny tag and if you don't see the humor in it you really need to get a life...

Thanks, but I already have a life.

As to it being funny, I just don't find it funny. Would the tag still be funny if it read something like this: "Or give it to someone '_______' (insert a minority race) it's their job"? I suspect the clothing company would be in court as we speak, up to their armpits in legal troubles.

Edited by Lilly
spacing

How has a thread about a funny label morphed into famine, violence, abuse, racism and genocide in so short a span of posts?

people seriously need to lighten up. everyone is so quick to be offended because being a victim in western society has become a way to gain power. it's disgusting.

A sexist joke can be funny when spoken between friends who each know the other is not sexist, this is satire.

When sexist remarks are put on the label of a clothing company who has no knowledge of those who wears it's clothes (except that they are men), then it is not funny at all but is casual sexism.

There is a time and place for sexist joking, this is not it.

A sexist joke can be funny when spoken between friends who each know the other is not sexist, this is satire.

When sexist remarks are put on the label of a clothing company who has no knowledge of those who wears it's clothes (except that they are men), then it is not funny at all but is casual sexism.

There is a time and place for sexist joking, this is not it.

Edit: You beat me to it.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

Thanks, but I already have a life.

As to it being funny, I just don't find it funny. Would the tag still be funny if it read something like this: "Or give it to someone '_______' (insert a minority race) it's their job"? I suspect the clothing company would be in court as we speak, up to their armpits in legal troubles.

Comparing women to a minority race there? Fight the oppression Lilly!

I see women as equal, I'd laugh if I saw something similar directed towards men.

Perhaps we could post some examples, such as:

On a condom packet: 'For her pleasure... Because if he wasn't wearing this, he wouldn't last a second.'

Edit: If you knew me you'd know I'd never seriously say something like my above post, but solely in response to the over-the-top article, it had to be said. All in the name of light hearted humour of course...

But I do see the article and resulting discussion as being so far over the top that I'm thinking of writing a shock article about it.

Edited by Timonthy

I think Lilly is right on this one... That's why I made the crack that I did. Not only does it imply that a certain group of people has the job of it... It also implies that another group of people are too stupid to follow instructions on the tag. In this particular case it seems to imply that men are too stupid to wash their pants, so hand it over to women who are expected to already know how to wash the pants. Like men are too stupid to be able to read and understand instructions, too stupid to figure out the little graphics.. So it's just easier to hand them over to a woman who of course can read instructions and can figure out the little graphics.

Yeah... the tag isn't only saying that it's a womans job to do laundry, it's also saying men are completely stupid, too stupid to figure out how to use a washer and dryer.

People need to take a fricken zanax and learn how to take a damn joke...........

Pants can be washed? No... I've been living a lie!

I believe the tag was in poor taste. I chuckled a bit when I read the tag that said "or just give it to Mom", but it never said "IT'S HER JOB". I do think the reaction was a bit more than warranted, but that is just me.