Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Djinn, REAL or FAKE?

oDaVinci

I have recently been researching djinn enchanted jewelry. Believed to bring wealth and safety among other powers, djinn are supposedly servants spiritually, and can alter materialistic items to their liking. What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

I have recently been researching djinn enchanted jewelry. Believed to bring wealth and safety among other powers, djinn are supposedly servants spiritually, and can alter materialistic items to their liking. What are your thoughts?

There is some reality and some legend. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

I think they might be connected to 'shadow people' that people see today. But most shadow people tend to be bad I think.

The stories of djinn granting wishes and such are late additions to the legends. To refer to a djinn from one of the original stories as a servant would be signing yourself up for a death right up there with something out of Hellraiser (which, actually, isn't too bad a description of what people originally considered djinn to be). Running into a djinn was less an "Awesome! Wishes!" moment, and more a "Crapcrapcrapcrap!" moment.

Later on, as humans are wont to do, we threw money at the problem. The idea was to placate a possible genie with tribute or an offering. Some of these still exist in one form or another, such as the ancient act of tossing a coin in a small body of water, in the hopes the resident spirit favored you with a wish. As we slowly realized that people weren't actually being torn apart when they disrespected genies, the stories changed to being able to control and dominate these once unstoppable forces of nature. Nowadays, genies are cute harem girls or supernaturally fuzzy comedians.

Really, the study of the djin is more a study of human mentality than anything else.

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 3

Djinn are supposedly one of the three sensient beings created by god - also angels and humans. They can be good, neutral or bad just like humans can.

Though I've also heard that they occupy a parallel dimension to ours, so considering the concept of a multiverse it could just be a near enough dimension that we have some vague perception. Stories would have been elaborated based on that, without true understanding of what was actually being seen. If that were the case, I would liken ghosts to be the same phenomenon only called by a different name today. Really some of the descriptions of alien encounters could be chalked up to it too. A dimensional or temporal crossover that is fleeting and vague could explain a lot of phenomena, imo.

• Like 1

Technically,they are spirits,and some are evil.Someone possessed in an Islamic country,is possessed by a djinn,not what we call a demon.6this,half dozen of the other .

I find the Djinn an interesting subject. Like Aquatus1 stated, they have 'evolved' in our stories and legends.

Much like the 'wee folk' of Irish legend, once large and semi to fully dangerous, now just servants and wish granters.

If I believed in the Djinn (and for the sake of argument) I would warn you to avoid anything they 'blessed' or imbued as not all that glitters is gold.

Not believing in them, I'd warn you for your wallet's sake.

But if you do buy them, please send images and let us know if you come across a large sum of money (Hey, just cause I don't believe does not mean I wouldn't like to get free money.. wink wink).

Read the Bartimaeus Trilogy.Hes the best Djinn of all . :wub:

If anyone has had any experiences with them, please bless us with your story (:

One of my mother's, oldest friend....supposedly has a Djinn under her control...apparently if you do it the right way(There is a "right way") they don't harm you. She is blind(Irony). There are some kind of rule to these things like you ask IT to do some "Bad" things then they can harm you or like that. She makes medicine for the town. she also knew my father was Ill before telling her...and Also whenever you mention the Djinn's master "IT" listens. So maybe "It" is with me right now.

I have a few other stories as well will tell later.

• 4 years later...
On 3/6/2012 at 7:29 PM, oDaVinci said:

I've seen one, and someone else was present at the same time and saw it too.

as someone who grew up in the Islamic faith my view on this matter is to say djinn are mythology. They are supposedly created from fire, iblis ( biblical satan) was created from fire and rebelled against god.  Its complete and utter nonsense. Djinn do not exist and anyone claiming so are either con artists or painfully naïve..  There is an entire industry in muslim nations based on djinn protection jewelry etc. its simply making money off of the weak and the dumb.

interesting how some have suggested they have seen or encountered one. Weird how no djinns ever seem to manifest in front of intelligent folk or scientists.

Edited by AdealJustice
  • Like 3

Jinn must be real.

Quran 17:88

"Say: "If the whole of mankind and Jinns were to gather together to produce the like of this Qur'an, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they backed up each other with help and support."

27:17

"And before Solomon were marshalled his hosts,- of Jinns and men and birds, and they were all kept in order and ranks."

6:100

"Yet they make the Jinns equals with Allah, though Allah did create the Jinns; and they falsely, having no knowledge, attribute to Him sons and daughters. Praise and glory be to Him! (for He is) above what they attribute to Him!"

• Like 1

On 2016-11-30 at 1:50 PM, AdealJustice said:

as someone who grew up in the Islamic faith my view on this matter is to say djinn are mythology. They are supposedly created from fire, iblis ( biblical satan) was created from fire and rebelled against god.  Its complete and utter nonsense. Djinn do not exist and anyone claiming so are either con artists or painfully naïve..  There is an entire industry in muslim nations based on djinn protection jewelry etc. its simply making money off of the weak and the dumb.

interesting how some have suggested they have seen or encountered one. Weird how no djinns ever seem to manifest in front of intelligent folk or scientists.

Aren't the djinni supposedly capable of being good and worshiping god, though? I've read the koran a time or two, and while my knowledge of it is definitely less complete than yours is, I've not noticed anything in there saying that the djinni are inherently evil.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Podo said:

Aren't the djinni supposedly capable of being good and worshiping god, though? I've read the koran a time or two, and while my knowledge of it is definitely less complete than yours is, I've not noticed anything in there saying that the djinni are inherently evil.

They have a choice. Akin to humans they were given what seems to be "free will" at least according to the Quran and the hadith.  It is said a certain number of Djinn  went with Iblis when he rebelled against Allah and other Hadith say they simply signed a contract with Allah to test humanity during the great journey till death. When the end time comes they will be free of sin as they simply participated in helping test humanity and didnt genuinely rebel against Allah.  It is interesting to note in Christianity Lucifer rebelled but he was an angel. In Islam Iblis rebelled but he was a Djinn. According to Islam angels have to listen to god 100%, they have no free will. Im not sure if the case is the same with Christianity. But regardless of if Iblis had free will, the question to ask would be why would Allah create iblis only to let him rebel? Knowing future events , having Iblis rebel and having him put humanity through immensely tough times. Is Allahs test a sadistic? Seems to be.  

Edited by AdealJustice
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, AdealJustice said:

They have a choice. Akin to humans they were given what seems to be "free will" at least according to the Quran and the hadith.  It is said a certain number of Djinn  went with Iblis when he rebelled against Allah and other Hadith say they simply signed a contract with Allah to test humanity during the great journey till death. When the end time comes they will be free of sin as they simply participated in helping test humanity and didnt genuinely rebel against Allah.  It is interesting to note in Christianity Lucifer rebelled but he was an angel. In Islam Iblis rebelled but he was a Djinn. According to Islam angels have to listen to god 100%, they have no free will. Im not sure if the case is the same with Christianity. But regardless of if Iblis had free will, the question to ask would be why would Allah create iblis only to let him rebel? Knowing future events , having Iblis rebel and having him put humanity through immensely tough times. Is Allahs test a sadistic? Seems to be.  

That was very informative, thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Podo said:

That was very informative, thank you!

np! i appreciate the conversation. 

If I'm remembering correctly according to either the greater or lesser key of solomon, you could bind demons/djinn to either a ring or a brazen vessel. If it was in a ring the demon could be commanded at will. Been so long since I've read either text.:unsure:

• Like 2

Djinn, real or fake?

Yes.

Anything we can conjure derives from our psyche. That said, the phenomena is hollow in that it is not independent from us. We're in control of it if we manage to figure that out. 

Think of the Abyss as your psyche.

"In the Abyss all things exist, indeed, at least in posse, but are without any possible meaning; for they lack the substratum of spiritual Reality. They are appearances without Law. They are thus Insane Delusions.

Now the Abyss being thus the great storehouse of Phenomena, it is the source of all impressions."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjG9NmRqNXQAhXl1IMKHc38BRIQFggaMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FAbyss_(Thelema)&usg=AFQjCNG8C2L2Ip96Q57hO83Av2z0TXjR6A&sig2=6lzAaiOzKzXpufhVjzmNHA

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Podo said:

The lore has it that there are different types of djinn. Some are supposed to be more friendly than others. There are supposed to be some who hate humans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdealJustice said:

The Jews (the ones who believe in angels) do not believe that they can rebel against G-d. Christianity had to do some contortion in order to create and accommodate their belief in a character whom they view as an active adversary to God. And they did so because they only wanted to imagine that God did good things. They wanted to blame the death and destruction on some other source. 

• Like 3

On 3/8/2012 at 8:34 AM, oDaVinci said:

You can basically "haunt" yourself. I managed this at some point, and then I was able to roll it back. By "haunt" I mean you can have poltergeist activity, hear disembodied voices, catch EVPs, see "shadow people" that many people think are the same thing as djinn, have what folks call hypnagogic hallucinations or classic sleep paralysis experiences, and the people around you can also be affected. It can happen, especially, if you are suffering through some major trauma or grief. 

If any of these things were entirely external, I don't see how I could have gotten rid of all of the phenomena. And I did. You just have to realize that you're in control and you always have been. 

There are people who deliberately play with the psyche in order to have these kinds of experiences. If they know what they're doing, they know they are only accessing parts of their own psyche and that they are working on self-actualizing. If they don't know what they're doing, they harbor subconscious fears, or they weren't stable to begin with, it's not really a good idea.

If you're interested in "what it looked like," the phenomena presented as the typical "shadow person." It was over 6 ft. tall, blacker than the room around it, and had no discernible facial features. Whenever either of us tried to touch it, our hands would go through it as if it was made of smoke, and it would dissipate. The experiences were interesting and I wasn't actually afraid of them. It was even more interesting to realize I was in control of them, and to make it all go away. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2