Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parapsychologist stay away from ghost

ninjacat

Some of you may know about the field of parapsychology. It is the study of paranormal subjects such as ESP, psychic phenomena, telekenisis, and even ghost. But I don't think parapsychology should deal with ghost. It doesn't seem like it fits in the field and all these parapsychologist are outside their so called profession attempting to explain ghost. The field deals with strange phenomena of the mind like what I mentioned above. But spirits seem more physical and seem to need more physics based explanations which is stuff that parapsychologist know nothing about. They end up running around chasing ghost with EMF meters not knowing what they are doing. The founder of parapsychology J.B Rhine didn't want to get into spirits and ghost because he said something like proving the existance of ESP and other topics like that would be the first step to showing that concousness can exist outside the body. So that's what parapsychologist should concentrate on. I think another field should be created for the study of spectors and entities that is more physics based. Sorry I know this topic may seem boring but I just had to say it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ninjacat

• Keel M.

• Sakari

• rashore

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of disagree, I think parapsychology can have something to do with ghosts or hauntings. I think for instance poltergeists are more likely the work of "mental powers" than ghosts. I think there are probably other instances of hauntings that have more to do with mental workings rather than the residuals of dead people. Like mediums that can speak with the dead- that's more of their own mental action than the manifestation of ghosts.

Do I think parapsychologists should be running around with EMF meters and ghost hunting? Sure, if that's their hobby. People in all sorts of job fields go ghost hunting for a hobby, don't see why para's should be left out.

I've found no evidence that J.B. Rhine didn't want to get into spirits and ghosts for any reason. He adopted the word parapsychology to differentiate his interests from mainstream psychology, which is what the word means: para means "alongside". Psychology studies the mind and how it works and parapsychology studies mental abilities that not everyone possesses.

Many people (at least from what I've seen on this site) believe that ghostly experiences are a product of a vivid imagination and that it's all in our heads. This, to me, seems to be a very appropriate area of study for a parapsychologist because they, in part, study what goes on in our heads.

You are also unfairly concluding that all ghost hunters are parapsychologists and that is false. They aren't the ones who run around chasing ghosts with EMF meters, not knowing what they're doing.

I kind of disagree, I think parapsychology can have something to do with ghosts or hauntings. I think for instance poltergeists are more likely the work of "mental powers" than ghosts. I think there are probably other instances of hauntings that have more to do with mental workings rather than the residuals of dead people. Like mediums that can speak with the dead- that's more of their own mental action than the manifestation of ghosts.

Do I think parapsychologists should be running around with EMF meters and ghost hunting? Sure, if that's their hobby. People in all sorts of job fields go ghost hunting for a hobby, don't see why para's should be left out.

I agree that poltragiest could be powers of the mind and that ghost might come from mental action. But in terms of the ghost itself as an entity more than psychology is needed to explain that stuff, which is going beyond what the parapsychologist know. Like how does it appear? Where does the ghost come from? What energy is involved. Thermodynamics, electromagnatism, quantom theory, and more will need to be used to develop an explanation for stuff like that.Parapsychologist should be singled out because they say they're scientist so they need to know what they are talking about unlike most of the EMF meter hobby crowd.

I've found no evidence that J.B. Rhine didn't want to get into spirits and ghosts for any reason. He adopted the word parapsychology to differentiate his interests from mainstream psychology, which is what the word means: para means "alongside". Psychology studies the mind and how it works and parapsychology studies mental abilities that not everyone possesses.

Many people (at least from what I've seen on this site) believe that ghostly experiences are a product of a vivid imagination and that it's all in our heads. This, to me, seems to be a very appropriate area of study for a parapsychologist because they, in part, study what goes on in our heads.

You are also unfairly concluding that all ghost hunters are parapsychologists and that is false. They aren't the ones who run around chasing ghosts with EMF meters, not knowing what they're doing.

I don't think all ghost hunters are parapsychologist. I know about the ghost being a figment of the mind hypothosis. It could be right, I should have mentioned that in my post. I'm saying if an actual ghost isn't a product of a vivid imagination and it is a real thing than parapsychologist don't have the knowledge to explain it.

As for J.B Rhine. I read a book years ago that was about the formation of the Duke university Parapsychology lab. I truly can't remember what it was called or who wrote it. But in it is says he wanted to stay away from the field of ghost and do mostly ESP. The idea of ghost was pushed heavily by his wife and students.

Well, until the existence of ghosts are proven one way or the other, I don't think there's a problem with parapsychologists studying ghosts. How can it be definitively proven if they are the product of our minds if they aren't studied by parapsychologists?

I don't think all ghost hunters are parapsychologist. I know about the ghost being a figment of the mind hypothosis. It could be right, I should have mentioned that in my post. I'm saying if an actual ghost isn't a product of a vivid imagination and it is a real thing than parapsychologist don't have the knowledge to explain it.

As for J.B Rhine. I read a book years ago that was about the formation of the Duke university Parapsychology lab. I truly can't remember what it was called or who wrote it. But in it is says he wanted to stay away from the field of ghost and do mostly ESP. The idea of ghost was pushed heavily by his wife and students.

Is this where you read it ?

http://today.duke.edu/2009/03/rhine.html

Also, pointing out Duke University does not have a " parapsychology " department anymore.It has not for some time.( that should say a lot )

Is this where you read it ?

http://today.duke.edu/2009/03/rhine.html

Also, pointing out Duke University does not have a " parapsychology " department anymore.It has not for some time.( that should say a lot )

Yes! That's the book. I was searching but I didn't remember anything about the title or author.