Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists sign deal to clone woolly mammoth

Still Waters

Hey psyche, good to see you my friend! :tu:

I never said I was against the idea, I just think that something doesn't feel right about bringing back an animal just to be exploited. I can certainly understand the medical advances and furthering biological research. Hopefully the Mammoth can be left to roam the tundras the way they once did and not end up at the business end of a big bore rifle or in a cage for people to gawk at. And hopefully the ecosystem can still support an animal of such magnitude.

Gidday Mate

You have been hiding out on us of late! You have been missed.No, sorry if I gave that impression, I did not think you were against the idea, but just dubious as to why we might do so. I actually wonder along the same lines when I wonder if the Neanderthal will be brought back at some time. What would they do? Just squeeze into a society that they left 30 thousand years ago? I just would expect medical research to be the first cab of the benefits rank. I think we could find places for Mammoths, Antarctica is pretty isolated and I suspect would have areas that could support them, if not Canada, I would hope there would be a ban on resurrected animals as a given. Considering they have died out at least once, that seems only fair. I wonder if the ecosystems would benefit?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S2F

• psyche101

• Habitat

• DKO

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ,why do you think Obama made it legal to slaughter wild horses for food.

The first horse slaughter houses,are in the works.

*vomits* on both possibilities.

Humans suck so bad .....seriously.

Wasn't that bill already in place for five years when he signed the overall document that allowed horse slaughter? From what I understand, the move will is to stop any inhumane killings (slow and painful) in process plants outside of the US for the European Meat Market.

Humans do not suck so bad, they made you a computer and gave you freedom of speech so that you can say if you agree with things like this or not.

Well ,why do you think Obama made it legal to slaughter wild horses for food.

The first horse slaughter houses,are in the works.

*vomits* on both possibilities.

Humans suck so bad .....seriously.

During the ban, horses were shipped to slaughter in Canada, because Canadians suck even more.

Now the inspections will start up again, because everyone was so concerned with transporting the poor animals hundreds of miles away. Trust me, it had nothing to do with money. Wink.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/30/obama-congress-restore-us-horse-slaughter-industry/?page=all

Whenever people say “We mustn’t be sentimental,” you can take it they are about to do something cruel. And if they add “We must be realistic,” they mean they are going to make money out of it.

—Brigid Brophy (1929–1995)

Playing God :no:

If indeed humans caused the extinction of the Mammoth, I think it a way to square the ledger after all these centuries.

If anything or anyone should be cloned, it should be Jesus or Albert Einstien, or an Alien!

If anything or anyone should be cloned, it should be Jesus or Albert Einstien, or an Alien!

Do you really believe, even if this was technically possible, That it would be ethically sound ? What a hell of a life for this "curiousity", their life would not be their own. You wouldn't wish such an artificial life on anyone, being under the microscope every day of their lives.

Cloning doesn't work quite that way. You realize that what makes a person a "person" has just as much (if not more so) to do with environmental experiences as it does genetic make-up right? Without the same life experiences a clone could be significantly different from the original.

I dont know a whole lot about the genetics and the engineering involved in creating a clone but if it proves successful, it would have a lot of useful applications with regards to the cloning category. Cloned organs, limbs? [again excuse me ignorance, not a geneticist].

As for it being a viable food source,hmm im not overly worried about that so much but would be really cool to see what exactly a mammoth did, you know path migrations and what not. To see that first hand would be cool.

Also if lets say a human being was cloned. they may look a like, have the same DNA but that doesnt mean they'll be the same individual. What makes a person different and what makes a person unique unto themselves is what they experience and how they choose to act. I find one quote really explains this "Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me". A double of the original,Yes. Same DNA,yes.Same looks, yes. Same way of thinking, acting, feeling, I sincerely doubt it.

Thats like a pair of identical twins do every single thing the same, act the same, think the same. etc etc etc. ;)

Playing God :no:

I was waiting for this. Since, IMO, God is not real, we're playing scientists. That's more like it. And as others have pointed out, it could be a huge advancement in the medical community. I think a lot of good can come from this.

I have to agree also. if successful alot of good can be achieved. playing god, hmm I'm not gonna question anyone's faith but if medical advancement is going to be refered to as "playing god" and is therefore seen as heresy in the eyes of a few. then so be it. I bet people who lost limbs would ne happy to hear that they have the tech to clone limbs.

• 2 weeks later...

There could be good things and bad things coming out of this advancement. Like Hybrid89 mentioned, it could help with medical stuff. Not to mention it would solve a lot of questions about mamoths (and later on everything else) Though we may just go too far. (Go ahead and imagine what ever you think may happen) My thoughts would be that they just might clone too many things and well there goes room on Earth. My oppinion is that we wait until we can live in space or find a way for more room (if that ever happens)

• 2 weeks later...

I will admit, as much as it might be a good idea, the idea of bringing creatures, plants or what ever back to life doesnt seem natural. There are reason beyond our understanding that these things are not on the earth any more, be it man's influence or nature's. At the end of the day, everything makes way for greater things in this life

Would an elephant mother be able to carry and birth a mammoth calf though? I have no idea how big a mammoth calf is in comparison to an elephant calf but I'm guessing it'd be quite a difference. I feel sorry for the mother.

Also, I remember a few years ago there was a story going around that a human was cloned by this same scientist. Dunno whether it's true though.

All in all I personally think scientist may indeed go too far with this.

Anyone up for watching Jurrasic Park with me?

watching? in a few more years time we can VISIT jurassic park :D

Did they learn nothing from Jurassic Park?

when mammoths escape, they dont eat the tourists though :D

Would an elephant mother be able to carry and birth a mammoth calf though? I have no idea how big a mammoth calf is in comparison to an elephant calf but I'm guessing it'd be quite a difference. I feel sorry for the mother.

Also, I remember a few years ago there was a story going around that a human was cloned by this same scientist. Dunno whether it's true though.

All in all I personally think scientist may indeed go too far with this.

Mammoths were in fact a little smaller than the modern African Elephant.

94699-034-B64D78EC.jpg

Mammoths were in fact a little smaller than the modern African Elephant.

94699-034-B64D78EC.jpg

Mammuthus sungari, sometimes called the Songhua River mammoth, evolved from smaller Siberian mammoths and lived in northern China during the middle Pleistocene (about 280,000 years ago). It survived until the beginning of the Late Pleistocene.

The replica specimen on display at the Ibaraki Nature Museum in Ibaraki, Japan, is 9.1 metres (30 ft) long, 5.3 metres (17 ft) tall, and has an estimated weight of 17 tonnes (19 short tons) – slightly smaller than Paraceratherium, the largest known land mammal. The original skeleton is at the Inner Mongolian Museum and it is based on two very large individuals found in 1980 at the Zhalainuoer Coal Mine in Hulun Buir City. These specimens indicate that it is the largest mammoth species found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammuthus_sungari

1200283717.jpg

manmam.jpg

mammothvstheropod-1.jpg

Mammuthus sungari, sometimes called the Songhua River mammoth, evolved from smaller Siberian mammoths and lived in northern China during the middle Pleistocene (about 280,000 years ago). It survived until the beginning of the Late Pleistocene.

The replica specimen on display at the Ibaraki Nature Museum in Ibaraki, Japan, is 9.1 metres (30 ft) long, 5.3 metres (17 ft) tall, and has an estimated weight of 17 tonnes (19 short tons) – slightly smaller than Paraceratherium, the largest known land mammal. The original skeleton is at the Inner Mongolian Museum and it is based on two very large individuals found in 1980 at the Zhalainuoer Coal Mine in Hulun Buir City. These specimens indicate that it is the largest mammoth species found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammuthus_sungari

I guess I should have said on average most mammoths were roughly the same size as modern elephants.

Source

-Edit to fix quote error.

Edited by DKO

• 1 month later...