Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cherie Blair denies rumours of Blair quiting

Talon

Cherie Blair denies quit rumours

Cherie Blair, the prime minister's wife, has denied claims that her husband considered standing down earlier this year.

Mrs Blair said she would have been "one of the first people to know" if the allegations were true.

Lord Melvyn Bragg made the claims, saying the prime minister had been under a "colossal strain".

Mrs Blair told Woman's Hour on BBC Radio 4, that Lord Bragg, a family friend, was "mortified" by his remark.

Mr Bragg said Mr Blair's strain was "personal and family" stress, creating a media frenzy.

'Mortified'

Appearing on Channel 4's Richard and Judy show, Mrs Blair denied that the Labour peer had been briefed to make the comments.

Taking part in her first ever television interview, she said: "As Tony himself said, there never was a moment when he was going to resign. I can assure you if he had done, I would have known.

"So I do not know where Melvyn got it from and to be honest I think he is mortified that he said it."

She went on to deny that the remarks had broken their friendship.

Asked why she thought Lord Bragg had made the comments, Mrs Blair replied: "I don't know, you'll have to ask him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3664084.stm

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Talon

• thebarman

Top Posters In This Topic

I think blair on the whole has been a great premier to this country , iraq has over shadowed it a little but hes been strong, can you imagine if wed had hague in charge during 9/11.

God help us all.

The only good thing about blair quitting is that in gordon brown we'd have an even stronger and smarter PM ready made (plus hes scottish).

only good thing about blair quitting is that in gordon brown we'd have an even stronger and smarter PM ready made (plus hes scottish).

270063[/snapback]

Wun, I gotta say I lost a wee bit of respect for you then, God help us if 'Two Jags' ever rules the country.

IM talking about Gordon Brown Barman not "2 jags" .

god help us if gets in charge lol.