Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nuclear bomb could save Earth

Ashotep

So basically then, if a real biggie comes our way, we're all screwed.

So the moral is, enjoy yourself, while you still got the time! make the best out of your life! Live every minute like its your last!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bouncer

• questionmark

• 27vet

• JayMark

I wondered if attaching a device to create directional thrust could move the thing into a more harmless trajectory. Then I realized that we'd just be buying time because we don't know that it wouldn't then strike several other boulders and send them our way. I think we will see a huge one in the next 50-100 years. Not a planet killer but one that will rearrange the furniture in a big way...JMO

The probability of that happening right now is low. Look at Timeline of the far future and Timeline of the near future

There is another interesting page Palermo Technical Impact Hazard Scale

We will more likely be wiped out by overpopulation.

Or by some bug mutated through uncontrolled feeding of antibiotics in feedlots.

The probability of that happening right now is low. Look at Timeline of the far future and Timeline of the near future

There is another interesting page Palermo Technical Impact Hazard Scale

We will more likely be wiped out by overpopulation.

Over population? My view is that natural disasters/diseases seem to regulate things like that. Imagine if the bird-flu virus really takes off in mankind! Various flu's have killed millions!

The 1918 flu pandemic for example! The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920 spreading to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. Between 50 and 100 million died, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history. Even using the lower estimate of 50 million people, 3% of the world's population (which was 1.86 billion at the time[9]) died of the disease. Some 500 million, or 27%, were infected.[5]

source WIKI.

Then we have air pollution which is tagged to be a massive killer in the future..

Quote: "Air pollution 'will become a bigger global killer than dirty water"

see: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/mar/15/air-pollution-biggest-killer-water

Then you only need some terrorist organization to release chemical weapons in a city, and that will likewise kill thousands/millions too.

Edited by bouncer

Then we have air pollution which is tagged to be a massive killer in the future..

Frightening stuff : pollution_global_hires.jpg

I was told size does not matter......

That is a result of the people you hang out with. :w00t:

With all the cutbacks in the space program? We don't have space shuttles anymore so how are they going to get to the asteroid to set up the bomb? As depicted in Armageddon, it will probably be necessary to place the device below the surface of the asteroid.

I hope that is sarcasm and that you don't think space shuttle could actually "fly" over and around the Moon and then land on an asteroid.

Hiroshima was blown up over the town, not on the ground. The reason for that is that strong explosions above ground level cause a much bigger shock wave then if their energy goes partly into the ground.

And you are right, blowing up something on the surface of an asteroid is only going to shift its orbit a little... maybe even making it worse. You would need to drill a hole into it, place the bomb there and then blow the thingy up to get a lot of little pieces.

Drilling a hole would certainly work very well. In the US Army, I did a lot of explosives including cratering charges. These are 40 pounds of explosive, that would make about a 1 or 2 foot deep hole, about 10 feet across if detonated on the surface. But if you place it 8 to 12 feet down, you get a hole 60 feet across and 30 feet deep. When detonated with no where to go, the effect of the explosion is way magnified.

Even just placing a nuke on the surface or hitting it with an ICBM would very easily toss it off course such that it would miss the Earth by a wide margin. If such an asteroid was going to hit Earth, it would be on such a tight course, that any hit would throw it off so it would miss Earth.

That is a result of the people you hang out with. :w00t:

I hope that is sarcasm and that you don't think space shuttle could actually "fly" over and around the Moon and then land on an asteroid.

Drilling a hole would certainly work very well. In the US Army, I did a lot of explosives including cratering charges. These are 40 pounds of explosive, that would make about a 1 or 2 foot deep hole, about 10 feet across if detonated on the surface. But if you place it 8 to 12 feet down, you get a hole 60 feet across and 30 feet deep. When detonated with no where to go, the effect of the explosion is way magnified.

Even just placing a nuke on the surface or hitting it with an ICBM would very easily toss it off course such that it would miss the Earth by a wide margin. If such an asteroid was going to hit Earth, it would be on such a tight course, that any hit would throw it off so it would miss Earth.

Or not, because there are more things, especially if we talk about paths through gravitation, that you upset than its direction.

Or not, because there are more things, especially if we talk about paths through gravitation, that you upset than its direction.

If it is as close as that, to be affected by Earth's Gravity, then there is not too much that would work anyway. Maybe nothing at that point.

Basically, most of the world's governments are in a shambles including the superpowers and wouldn't be able to put such a plan in action anyway, so we are doomed if such an event were to take place in the near future.

(I guess shockwaves do behave in a similar fashion in space?)

http://zen-haven.dk/will-nuclear-megaton-shockwave-avert-earth-bound-asteroid/

I don't think so.

As far as I've read, shockwaves do happen in space but won't behave in the same way as they would do inside a medium such as a gas, solid, liquid or plasma. But depending on how you see it, it could be very well similar. Just not exactly in the same way.

Over population? My view is that natural disasters/diseases seem to regulate things like that. Imagine if the bird-flu virus really takes off in mankind! Various flu's have killed millions!

The 1918 flu pandemic for example! The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920 spreading to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. Between 50 and 100 million died, making it one of the deadliest natural disasters in human history. Even using the lower estimate of 50 million people, 3% of the world's population (which was 1.86 billion at the time[9]) died of the disease. Some 500 million, or 27%, were infected.[5]

source WIKI.

see: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/mar/15/air-pollution-biggest-killer-water

Then you only need some terrorist organization to release chemical weapons in a city, and that will likewise kill thousands/millions too.

Throw in that mutated potential killer flu that only requires 5 small genetic alterations (the research is supposed to be publicly available, might already be available), and there you go.

• 1 month later...

calm down people Servo-tech industries have already invented the astronomic bomb which eats away the asteroid with tiny nanobytes composed of kryptonite so no fears, but we can also always day dream while Armageddon barrels towards us its very effective an you die a believer

Ok so now I found a link that seems to say, YES, a nuke could do it, and scroll down for the vid. (I guess shockwaves do behave in a similar fashion in space?)

http://zen-haven.dk/...bound-asteroid/

Can you have shockwaves in a vacuum ?

Bounce something off it like you would a "pool" ball to divert it into the pocket..Am I a genius or what, ha "or what" is the answer