Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spiny, Venomous New Sea Snake Discovered

Still Waters

A new species of venomous sea snake mysteriously covered head to tail in spiny scales has been discovered in treacherous seas off northern Australia, a new study says.

Though some other sea snakes have spiky scales on their bellies, "no other [known] sea snake has this curious feature," study leader Kanishka Ukuwela, an ecologist at the University of Adelaide, said by email.

Normally snakes have smooth scales, but each of the newly named Hydrophis donaldi's scales has a spiny projection, he said.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RockabyeBillie

• Still Waters

• msmike1

• DKO

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting, but I don't see it as that odd. I would describe the scales as more highly keeled than spikes. This is not uncommon in some snakes. Some snakes do have smooth scales while others have slightly keeled scales, while others still have highly keeled scales such as this sea snake. I must admit I know less about sea snakes than I do any other type of serpent, but still find then increasingly interesting.

Mike

It's really cool that we're discovering new creatures on our little mudball almost every day!

Awesome. I saw a sea snake near Karratha once, wicked to see sliding through the water.

Very cool! And agreed, it's awesome to see all the new discoveries week by week. The only experience I've ever had with water snakes is the Copper Heads while I was undertaking the S.F. Airborne training at Ft. Benning in GA. They were every where in the swamps that we had to trudge through lol Made things more interesting I'll give ya that! Absolutely love reptiles though! Good find Still Waters! :tu:

I just love the way that your never more then 3 meters away from something that can potentiality kill you in Australia, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh that would be cool (and scary) to see....