Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Powered Paragliding

Shiloh17

I have been researching powered paragliding for a few weeks now and have decided this is what I want to do.

I have put a deposit down on a machine, and will own it in a few months.

This is basically a parasail parachute, with a motor strapped to your harness. This allows you to fly around

for hours at normal speeds of 15 to 28 mph. This is relatively the safest of all flying as you are already strapped

to a parachute, and even with engine failure, you simply glide to the ground for a gentle touch down. The harness

has a fold point in flight, so basically you are comfortably sitting, instead of hanging the entire flight.

The sport had been around since the late 80's and requires no license whatsoever to fly, and there is no age

limit either. These craft operate under F.A.R part 103 governing ultralight aircraft under 254 lbs.

Altitude limits are from just barely off the ground to 10,000 feet provided you are not in unrestricted airspace

unless you have permission.

This is a website covering FAQ of this sport http://www.poweredparasports.com/PPG%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.htm

Here is just one video off YouTube that will give you an example of what this sport is like.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shiloh17

• and-then

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been researching powered paragliding for a few weeks now and have decided this is what I want to do.

I have put a deposit down on a machine, and will own it in a few months.

This is basically a parasail parachute, with a motor strapped to your harness. This allows you to fly around

for hours at normal speeds of 15 to 28 mph. This is relatively the safest of all flying as you are already strapped

to a parachute, and even with engine failure, you simply glide to the ground for a gentle touch down. The harness

has a fold point in flight, so basically you are comfortably sitting, instead of hanging the entire flight.

The sport had been around since the late 80's and requires no license whatsoever to fly, and there is no age

limit either. These craft operate under F.A.R part 103 governing ultralight aircraft under 254 lbs.

Altitude limits are from just barely off the ground to 10,000 feet provided you are not in unrestricted airspace

unless you have permission.

This is a website covering FAQ of this sport http://www.poweredparasports.com/PPG%20Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.htm

Here is just one video off YouTube that will give you an example of what this sport is like.

This is awesome!! A few years ago I had the joy of going to OshKosh,WI for the air show and saw some of these in flight. To me this is the safest as well as most exhilarating form of flight for the non-pilot! Best luck with it and please make and share some vids once you get comfortable with the ULTIMATE TOY!!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

This is awesome!! A few years ago I had the joy of going to OshKosh,WI for the air show and saw some of these in flight. To me this is the safest as well as most exhilarating form of flight for the non-pilot! Best luck with it and please make and share some vids once you get comfortable with the ULTIMATE TOY!!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

I sure will :)

BTW, the Instructor I'm going to use, said some of his students, being Ex and full time military pilots, have said this is the most fun out of all. I can certainly believe that.