Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Daydreaming Is Good for the Mind

Still Waters

Catch yourself daydreaming while washing the dishes again? If this happens often you probably have a pretty capable working memory, new research suggests.

This mind wandering, it seems, actually gives your working memory a workout.Working memory is the mental work space that allows the brain to juggle multiple thoughts simultaneously. The more working memory a person has, the more daydreaming they can do without forgetting the task at hand.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• failturner25

• JayMark

• Beckys_Mom

• Englishgent

i think my brain is a superbrain though, i rarely live in this world.

Makes me feel good about not paying attention in class!

Now I don't feel so bad for wasting my time daydreaming so much. My imagination is more fun than most things nowadays (what with me being grounded)

Catch yourself daydreaming while washing the dishes again? If this happens often you probably have a pretty capable working memory, new research suggests.

Later research found that although you have a pretty capable working memory you have pretty dirty dishes. :)

And here I was thinking my mind wandered off routinely because I had the attention span of a gnat. Apparently I'm not alone.

Daydreaming is good... WHEN you are given time and peace to do it

Daydreaming is good... WHEN you are given time and peace to do it

A.K.A. During the time I am supposed to do homework...but don't expect many pleased teachers the next day.

Another good time is when I'm lying in bed waiting to go to sleep.

A.K.A. During the time I am supposed to do homework...but don't expect many pleased teachers the next day.

Another good time is when I'm lying in bed waiting to go to sleep.

Dont worry. Next time your teacher complains about your homework not being done point her in the direction of the above link and say that you have better ways of improving your brain's capacity to take in information than wasting time on homework :)

Oh how I wish the internet had been invented during my schooldays. I had no excuses lol

Dont worry. Next time your teacher complains about your homework not being done point her in the direction of the above link and say that you have better ways of improving your brain's capacity to take in information than wasting time on homework :)

Good grief lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I tend to do this for repetitive tasks, I have done it so much to the point that I can induce emotions from my imagination. At some points I was catching myself almost talking out loud at some of the imaginations and performing the same movements and snapping back to reality. Weird stuff.

Dreams are such mysteries. So far, scientists are even 100% sure why we dream but they have said that it seems like it is essential for the mind.

Also it is said that every mammal dreams.

I really enjoy dreaming and take them seriously during my spiritual introspection. They are, for me, really good indicators of what's going on in my inner-self.

Now I have an excuse for when I daydream at work.

Ah yes looking out the window with a happy gaze & your mind blissfully of in never never land then your rudely awaken by the desk lid being slammed down by the teacher, good days.

I prefer to use creative visualisation than just anything goes day dreaming.

It seems to make my dreams come true but that's just a thought : )

Judging by these comments everyone's daydreaming! I think that daydreaming is awesome, i find my self doing it for half an hour in the middle of the day :)

Oh how I wish the internet had been invented during my schooldays. I had no excuses lol

Probably the best idea I've heard all week :tu:

In school I often got berated for day dreaming.

Good to know that my mind is just healthy.

Or was, anyways. :D

Edited by Drayno

an to think i use to get in trouble for"day dreaming" when i was growing up such things of the unknown world was so mis read by the stepfather an the cult like church he assed with

an to think i use to get in trouble for"day dreaming" when i was growing up such things of the unknown world was so mis read by the stepfather an the cult like church he assed with

daydreaming is awesome, I have just recently daydreamed about the best story I have ever thought, and am now in progress of writing it up. how I love my healthy brain. :)

It makes me wonder. A regular conversation with a classmate or an acquaintance does not use a lot of "memory"(comparing to pc ram). So if I'm not daydreaming while talking to someone where does all this unused memory go...It must be that this level of communication is too low level for my taste and so I don't practice it very often....Id rather live in my own little world and use as much "memory" as i can.

I think that it depends on when day dream and how much of your thought process is in the daydreaming. Also, if you don't daydream at all, well meet with me I always wanted to meet an alien. (and I mean no offence if that offended anyone)