Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Austrian saws off own foot to avoid work

glorybebe

So you actually think this guy maimed himself for a bare subsistence from the government? That he was so lazy he would rather inflict excruciating pain and limp through life as a bum than work as a whole person? Anything is possible but AB that is the most messed up outlook I've heard of in a very long time. It must be depressing to feel so little faith in your fellow man.

I believe that some people out there will go to extreme lengths on this planet. And, I am actually quite a happy fellow. I am just mentally aware of what our society is capable of.

Its a very bizarre story.

In the world war 1&2 call ups in the UK, many men pretended to be lame, deaf, dumb, stupid...etc... in light of the 'job' they may have ahead of them. That I can understand..

So without knowing what his prob was in regard to work, its easy to judge.

Perhaps he was agoraphobic? That can be so fear inducing you may do anything at all to avoid it...but clearly the mans off the scale of most things just for 'being able' to do that.

Its often the case that society can be too blind to see or listen to a man like this and understand him a bit, than to leave him isolated and getting worse to the point he'd do that.

On the flip side of course, why should any disability stop anyone from working if they really wanted too?

I mean.... just look at Stephen Hawking ffs....and all he has achieved..

This is absolutely disgusting! And then to throw it in the oven? Brings a new meaning to athletes foot.

Given Hitler's , (SNIP out irrelevant info about Hitler)

I am not interested in what you feel Hitler was.. I am interested in the OP.so spare me the lecture thank you . ........ The man in the OP was clearly out of his tree... AKA mental to do what he did... .You doing that is imposing your personal beliefs on how you see it on to anyone that dares use the word mad in a case like this.. That is called imposing your own personal views on how you view the term mad on to anyone that differs..Calling something or someone's actions mad is called using your own opinion.........I stand by my comments The guy that did that to his foot just to get out of work was worse than an idiot... he was mental to do it. You would need to be mental state to do something so extreme..

An an idiot would only do something silly or cause a stupid accident, IMO not the same as deliberately Cutting off your foot, and chucking it in the oven to get away from work.... You would not be in a sound state of mind to take it that far.... And just because it is not stated, doesn't mean we can't think so .......It is called having an opinion...and not adopting your opinion.. get used to it ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Its a very bizarre story.

On the flip side of course, why should any disability stop anyone from working if they really wanted too?

I mean.... just look at Stephen Hawking ffs....and all he has achieved..

Quite obviously, having one foot doesn't disqualify you from working, unless you're hop, skip and jump champion. Which proves further, as if needed, the man is crazy.

Still, tis nice to have a scapegoat for the ills of society. Idiots, immigrants, disabled, unemployed? We should round them up and do them in... oops... I forgot, that's already been tried.

This sounds like an old Monty Python skit.

I am not interested in what you feel Hitler was.. I am interested in the OP.so spare me the lecture thank you .

It reinforces my statement that, just because an individual does something completely outside of the realm of logic and rationality, that doesn't make them insane.

........ The man in the OP was clearly out of his tree... AKA mental to do what he did... .You doing that is imposing your personal beliefs on how you see it on to anyone that dares use the word mad in a case like this.. That is called imposing your own personal views on how you view the term mad on to anyone that differs..Calling something or someone's actions mad is called using your own opinion.........I stand by my comments The guy that did that to his foot just to get out of work was worse than an idiot... he was mental to do it. You would need to be mental state to do something so extreme..

I wasn't imposing anything - I was merely stating that calling an individual mad is relative. He is MAD according to you, however, in psychological terms, he could very well be considered perfectly normal. My comment about Hitler was not pointless at all, nor was it irrelevant.

An an idiot would only do something silly or cause a stupid accident, IMO not the same as deliberately Cutting off your foot, and chucking it in the oven to get away from work.... You would not be in a sound state of mind to take it that far.... And just because it is not stated, doesn't mean we can't think so .......It is called having an opinion...and not adopting your opinion.. get used to it ..

In YOUR opinion, one would not be in a sound state of mind to do something like this as an escape goat for not working. You can have your opinions all you like. He's mad - to you. Hitler was MAD to a lot of people, again... but, sociologists, psychologists, etc, could not find anything actually psychologically wrong with Hitler.

Quite obviously, having one foot doesn't disqualify you from working, unless you're hop, skip and jump champion. Which proves further, as if needed, the man is crazy.

Still, tis nice to have a scapegoat for the ills of society. Idiots, immigrants, disabled, unemployed? We should round them up and do them in... oops... I forgot, that's already been tried.

Quite obviously, in YOUR opinion. What if a psychological evaluation determines that nothing is wrong with him? You guys can say, "clearly" something is wrong with him, even though it hasn't been confirmed. People said that Hitler was CLEARLY insane, yet, psychologists suggest otherwise.

Again. Madness is relative.

I stand by my statements.

Edited by Alienated Being

It reinforces my statement that, just because an individual does something completely outside of the realm of logic and rationality, that doesn't make them insane.

That is your own opinion ..Not mine or anyone else that felt it was insane to do that...Just to.get out of work... If I did that and after hospital treatment I can bank on getting dragged to a therapist... There is nothing normal about that sort of extreme action...Not at all

. He is MAD according to you, however, in psychological terms, he could very well be considered perfectly normal.

Again just your own opinion.. I consider it inane act..and many others do too... I cannot see any self respecting doctor calling it a normal action to want to cut your foot off and toss it in the oven just to get out of work - Normal behaviour.. Not by a long shot

In YOUR opinion,

I already told you this was my opinion previously...Glad to see you noted it

I wasn't imposing anything

If one does not wish to impose their beliefs on how they see things on to anyone.. they would just accept others holding opinions differ... Not argue the toss over it.. My opinion on the OP mad and extreme actions stands ..

Edited by Beckys_Mom

That is your own opinion ..Not mine or anyone else that felt it was insane to do that...Just to.get out of work... If I did that and after hospital treatment I can bank on getting dragged to a therapist... There is nothing normal about that sort of extreme action...Not at all

Exactly, it is my opinion. And, it may not be normal to you, but, your definition of normality could very well differ from the definition of another person. Which, in a lot of cases, it probably does. You would be dragged off to see a therapist, of course.. but what if it turned out that there was no psychological motive to commit the act? You just did it for the sake of doing it?

Again just your own opinion.. I consider it inane act..and many others do too... I cannot see any self respecting doctor calling it a normal action to want to cut your foot off and toss it in the oven just to get out of work - Normal behaviour.. Not by a long shot

Perhaps not a normal action in accordance to the majority of beliefs in society, no... but, that doesn't make the individual insane. Insanity and abnormality are two entirely different concepts.

I already told you this was my opinion previously...Glad to see you noted it

I did. :tu:

If one does not wish to impose their beliefs on how they see things on to anyone.. they would just accept others holding opinions differ... Not argue the toss over it.. My opinion on the OP mad and extreme actions stands ..

Just because a person states their opinion on a subject matter, that doesn't indicate an imposition of said beliefs. My opinion that MADNESS is relative still stands.

By the way, why rejecting my friend request? Not feeling friendly today? LOL. Me-thinks that I struck a nerve in that "Prove to me that god exists" topic.

Exactly, it is my opinion. And, it may not be normal to you ( snip)

Glad you noticed.. Cheers..

I've heard of people who were drafted into the army throwing themselves down stairs, or having people break their legs, but this takes it to a whole new level. And only to avoid work.

*Hands out white coats and tasers to UM Moderators*

Can I keep the taser afterwards?

Well either this guy is crazy, or he's so determined not to work, he does a stupid thing like that. This is what you call lazy, if that's the case. But seriously, this is ONE weird story. And adding to what "Alienated being" about Hitler being insane. I believe he was addicted to Meth and that would have been one reason why he was so ****ING crazy.

I've heard of people who were drafted into the army throwing themselves down stairs, or having people break their legs, but this takes it to a whole new level. And only to avoid work.

Doesn't anyone here watch WEEDS ?

The nutty brother in law ?

All the stuff he did ,I think to keep from being drafted ?

He shot off his toes,then he joined Rabbinical school,and what happened to him there was even more bizarre than him shooting off his own toes.

People do nutty stuff ,for nutty reasons.

I feel sorry for this guy, and lay blame on societys enslavement attitude.

He was obviously being blackmailed to return to work or get a job, to service a society that doesnt have his best interests at heart.

Study most animal behaviour - take the lion - happy asleep in the long grass, the lioness comes back with dinner, he awakes, eats it and has a sleep. The point being by nature we are all lazy.

But the lion content with little but food.

But man has changed nature to suite society needs, and the needs of a greedy few, serviced by society.

Now our lives are full of objects and possesions we cuold do without, natural resources at a all time low.

This guy cut his foot off and made a stand. :)but most workers have put they're head in a noose by servicing a society which is doomed unless the poulation is controlled, and are bringing about its demise faster as they live faster lives.

Obviously this guy could survive on bare minimum, a lesson we all could learn by.

Isn't society judged by its compasion ?, yet when a guy wants to drop out he is told all money is stopped and you can starve.

With unemployment at a all time high, many 24's and under have never worked since leaving school, is'nt this telling us we are over populated ?

Yet the attitude by society is no work no momey, and the workers who are blind saying "i have a job, if you hav'nt **** you"

So for those who say this guy has a mental illness i disagree, he just sees the futility of participating in a society which is doomed, and i should imagine this guy thinks those who participate in society have a mental illness.

Edited by turn on tune in

link

:blink: I've never wanted to avoid work that bad!

lol........yeah that's taking things a little to the extreme................. : )

I believe there is another person helping him.

do you know how difficult to amputate a leg? there's no way this man can do it by him self .

I believe there is another person helping him.

do you know how difficult to amputate a leg? there's no way this man can do it by him self .

Uhhh....do YOU? :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure it's not as difficult as you imagine (unless of course you have first-hand knowledge). I mean, all the stories of people being trapped in the wild or other life-threatening situations that had to amputate their own limbs, I'm sure they didn't have someone there to help them do it.

• 2 weeks later...

What a moron. A little hard work never killed anyone.My grandfather died at the age of 82 and worked from a very young age doing labor work his entire life. The only reason he stopped working was because he lost most of the strength in his legs.

As for cutting off your foot to avoid work,...well,...some people are,...unique. To say the least

Uhhh....do YOU? :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure it's not as difficult as you imagine (unless of course you have first-hand knowledge). I mean, all the stories of people being trapped in the wild or other life-threatening situations that had to amputate their own limbs, I'm sure they didn't have someone there to help them do it.

Stephen King wrote a short story about something similar.can't remember the title but I think he wrote it under the name Richard Bachman. A doctor who's smuggling heroin has a plane crash on an island and he's stranded. His condition is ok except for a foot that's damaged. Eventually he has to use the heroin and amputate. He eats the foot to stay alive. by the end of the story he's cackling maniacally saying "lady fingers, they look just like lady fingers" :w00t: